MRoads? Melbourne Roads? Modular Roads? Metabolist Roads? (super)Mop's Roads? I don't know yet, but I've had ideas for a modular system for a road and tramway set that takes some liberties with scale and standards for awhile, and I now have enough basic sprites for a minimum viable NewGRF.
File comment: Tramways for inlay in streets.
demo.png [ 249.95 KiB | Viewed 7443 times ]
The design goals for this set are:
1. Provide a set of street and tramway sprites based loosely on those in Melbourne, Victoria
2. Use or abuse sidewalk sprites where possible to create more variety between road and tramway in urban areas
3. Allow selection by parameter between more conventional sidewalks, and those that may integrate with specific town or RV sets using unconventional scales or styles
4. Provide regional variation in road markings by parameter
5. Create superfluous sprites in case of eventual introduction of Roadtype specification.
The general stylistic elements of the set include standard gauge tram rails set in concrete with basalt (bluestone) aggregate, with normal traffic pavement in asphalt. Curbs are rendered in honed bluestone with a wide gutter of bluestone cobbles, and sidewalk pavement in either honed bluestone or asphalt. Trolley wire will be dull and minimal. Edges of roads may contain bikelanes similar. Road surface will be drawn wider than normal, as a result, the narrower sidewalk space will give urban tramways more room at edges for pavement to differentiate Tramway and streets. Tramway termini are modeled as fake shunts rather than tight U shaped loops, but of course this does not change vehicle movement. Currently markings are modeled along with road and tramway models, but I may switch to having them composited somehow for switching styles.
Tasks to do:
-Find someone to code initial sprites into a test GRF
-Model and composite road markings
-Refine models and textures for plain roads and produce sprites
-Model and produce sprites for trolley wire
-Produce any exotic sprites for sidewalks etc.
-Think up a better name.