Two locomotives on one train?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Two locomotives on one train?

Post by Rollerghost »

I have tried to search for info on the subject but not found any. I am wondering if it is possible to have multiple engines to pull a train. The long trains seems to be a bit heavy for even the strongest locomotive in the GRF I now use.
kamnet

Re: Two locomotives on one train?

Post by kamnet »

Yep. Create two locomotives in depot, they will build on two separate lines. move the bottom one up next to the top one. Add cars.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

...although you might as well create two shorter trains, which can help to improve station ratings, especially with PAX services.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Nah, double engines just looks way too good:
double_engines.png
double_engines.png (142.46 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Engine in the mid of train? Normally they are at the front or at the end, aren't they? In my region, it is normally so. Is it in at your home not so, or do you just like it, when an engine is in the midth?
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

S-Transport wrote:Engine in the mid of train? Normally they are at the front or at the end, aren't they? In my region, it is normally so. Is it in at your home not so, or do you just like it, when an engine is in the midth?
double_engines1.png
double_engines1.png (119.83 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
I don't know what they do in my country, but in my OpenTTD manual, it says trains should be as pretty as possible. Added a double front engines train for comparison (which for me, is not OpenTTD compliant :D ).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Both look good.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

S-Transport wrote:Engine in the mid of train? Normally they are at the front or at the end, aren't they? In my region, it is normally so. Is it in at your home not so, or do you just like it, when an engine is in the midth?
Normally yes, but when trains get to be 100+ cars long, they sometimes put engines in the middle too to lighten the load on each couplers.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Sylf wrote:
Normally yes, but when trains get to be 100+ cars long, they sometimes put engines in the middle too to lighten the load on each couplers.
Id hate to be at a level crossing when that train passes...
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Sylf wrote:
But in Germany. The longest trains here are 835 long. That are not more than 100 cars, but 55. And this is an exception. Normally only 750 meters are allowed.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Isn't the limit just 700m?

But there have been scenarios with engines in the middle of the train, in particular with regional trains that were split up / joined on their trip. I have pictures of that with the V200 diesel engine in a book.

It wouldn't work with freight trains, though, with Germany's standards for remote control for engines (which requires a UIC cable between all engines).
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Taschi wrote:Isn't the limit just 700m?
The Eisenbahn-Bau- und Betriebsordnung says: Trains are not allowed to be longer as the braking conditions, pull, push and railroad facilities allow.

So the problem are not the rules, but the railway lines.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

...and the Ril 408 says that trains must not be longer than 740 metres (408.0711). Everything besides that needs a special permission. So we were both wrong, apparently.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Leanden wrote:
Sylf wrote:
Id hate to be at a level crossing when that train passes...
Some interesting reading and also one videowhat I find fast! There are also locomotives int the center. they would be there if there isnt a reason :)

Anyway back on topic... its better to have two shorter trains instead.... but I like long trains with mixed locomotives in the middle! Ill play for fun, some realism, but never for the money! I always can use the cheat :P
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

ISA wrote:I always can use the cheat :P
Like you need the cheat once you have several lines running. I always cheat myself some initial money to make the first really long lines and from there it just comes in faster than I can spend it.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Panando
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panando »

It's not always better to use two short trains than one long train. The basic crux of the matter is two short trains will always take more space on the tracks than the two short trains combined into one long train, because it is necessary to maintain a gap between two trains. Thus long trains are supreme for maximizing track capacity. Especially if you don't want to place signals very closely.

Short trains do have some advantages, stations can be shorter, curves sharper and junctions more compact. However many of the advantages of short trains (other than speed) can be obtained by using road vehicles, ships or helicopters/small planes. With my play style I only use 7-length trains, and dual head them earlier in the game when engines are weaker. Trains are used for long distance transport where a high capacity is required. Other transport modes are used for short distance, or where only small quantities need to be delivered.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Transportman wrote:
ISA wrote:I always can use the cheat :P
Like you need the cheat once you have several lines running
I actually do! Current CanSet game I cant get my trains profitable (they are dual headed and 7 tiles long). Mainly due the high running cost! :) But now when I have planes flying I make first profit and im in year 2005
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

To what extent does double-heading a train reduce breakdowns?...both engines have to fail independently for the train to stop,right?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Sylf wrote: they sometimes put engines in the middle too to lighten the load on each couplers.
Usually on mountain lines where load on couplers increase with grade.

E.g., the Gotthard Railway in Switzerland allows a max train weight of 1400 tons with use of two locomotives at the head of train, and 1700t with an additional banker/pusher (a locomotive at the end of train). Higher train weight had been allowed by using locomotives mid-train (pushing and pulling approximately equal amounts of mass to distribute force on couplers), but the SBB doesn´t use this scheme any more, since it requires splitting the train in order to add/remove the helper engine(s).

The new Gotthard Base Tunnel, with a highest elevation of only 650m above sea level, will allow train masses of 4000t without use of any bankers.

Taschi wrote: But there have been scenarios with engines in the middle of the train, in particular with regional trains that were split up / joined on their trip. I have pictures of that with the V200 diesel engine in a book.
That was quite unusual, but common practice for regional trains on the Hamburg - Lübeck route, where additional coaches from Neumünster trains had to be attached in Bad Oldesloe. In this case, the (push-pull) train arriving from Hamburg, with the V200 pushing, left Bad Oldesloe with the V200 in the middle.

regards
Michael
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

BTW, pity that it is not possible to autoreplace one engine instead of two older.
Or opposite way, two instead of one.

Return to “General OpenTTD”