Iron Horse trains - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Iron Horse trains - releases

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.43.0 released.

Changes
  • added Goods Vans
  • improved appearance of Refrigerated Vans
Fixes
  • merchandise open wagons were showing wrong bulk cargo sprites
horse-2-43-0.png
horse-2-43-0.png (99.53 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
horse-2-43-1.png
horse-2-43-1.png (64.76 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
Oakman wrote: 24 Mar 2022 13:17 Sorry for the later answer, started a new game and tried to collect everything in one screenshot:
Thanks. That looks like it's working as intended - the ends of the wagons are using 1st company colour :) There was a bug in a previous version where they weren't, but is fixed.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.44.0 now on Bananas.

This includes the 150th (and final) UK-inspired engine. There are some wagons left to add, but the UK engine roster now includes everything I really wanted to add :twisted:

Docs: https://grf.farm/iron-horse/2.44.0/html ... arted.html

2.44.0 Release

Changes
  • added engines
    • Hawkinge steam general purpose engine, 2350 hp, available around 1935
    • Dreadnought diesel general purpose engine, 3300 hp, available around 1990
  • increased power of Pegasus and Streamer from 2200 hp to 2300 hp for balancing reasons
  • adjusted intro dates for narrow gauge Bulkhead Flat Wagons and Dry Powder Hoppers to better match standard gauge equivalents
  • adjusted how passenger and mail coaches choose livery based on lead engine
    • passenger and mail coaches have alternate liveries, which the player can always select by ctrl-clicking the coach in depot
    • for some engines, the alternate livery will also be used automatically when the coach is attached to the engine
    • this is not a new feature, but was broken in recent releases and is now fixed
    • the list of engines that trigger the alternate livery has been reviewed and reset

horse-2-44-0-1.png
horse-2-44-0-1.png (139.28 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
horse-2-44-0-2.png
horse-2-44-0-2.png (141.33 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.45.0 released.

Version 2.4.5 is not compatible with older Iron Horse savegames.

Docs: https://grf.farm/iron-horse/2.45.0/html ... arted.html

2.45.0 Release

Changes
  • added railtypes directly to Iron Horse
    • Narrow Gauge Railway for narrow gauge trains
    • Metro Railway for metro trains
    • Iron Horse no longer requires the separate Termite railtype grf
    • other railtype grfs continue to work with Iron Horse
  • added a parameter setting to turn Iron Horse extra railtypes off / on (on by default)
  • improved sprites for narrow gauge and metro depots
  • added new size option 'Nanoscopic' for the train capacity parameter setting
    • 'Nanoscopic' provides a 77% reduction compared to default capacity of Iron Horse vehicles
  • improved order of parameter settings
  • improved appearance of narrow gauge Dry Powder Hoppers
  • added narrow gauge Chemical Covered Hoppers
  • added randomly-selected colour variant for Pressure Tankers and Cryo Tankers when refitted for chlorine cargo
  • changed Magnum 70 engine from diesel to battery hybrid
    • no gameplay difference
    • different vehicle smoke effect
  • set correct default cargos for Aggregate Wagons and Ore Dump Wagons
  • adjusted default cargos for Box Vans and other equivalent wagons
Docs
  • mention included railtypes on 'Get started' page, no longer recommend Termite
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

I love Iron Horse, but now that Termitre is no longer needed, I can experiment with railtypes again. Really like this update!
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Michpi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Michpi »

I wonder what is the reason for disabling the latest version of the Iron Horse if inflation is on?
[+] Spoiler
IH fatal.jpg
IH fatal.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
I've played previous versions of Iron Horse with inflation on and haven't seen any problems.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Michpi wrote: 17 Apr 2022 09:05 I've played previous versions of Iron Horse with inflation on and haven't seen any problems.
It's to prevent a savegame becoming unplayable after n years due to unintentionally starting with inflation on.

There's no obvious way to reset the costs once the point is reached where the game becomes unplayable.

This happened to one of my kids, so I've banned inflation for Iron Horse.

There's more discussion about OpenTTD inflation here https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/8427
Michpi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Michpi »

I see.
Personally I would prefer a warning message instead a fatal error.
(Not everyone plays such long games that inflation can really ruin the game)
andythenorth wrote: 17 Apr 2022 10:01 There's no obvious way to reset the costs once the point is reached where the game becomes unplayable.
In JGRPP: ctrl+alt+c
"Change inflation cost factor"
"Change inflation income factor"
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Michpi wrote: 17 Apr 2022 11:21 Personally I would prefer a warning message instead a fatal error.
NewGRF warnings aren't reliably displayed by OpenTTD, otherwise I would have used a warning. :wink:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.46.0 Beta 1 available - direct download (not on bananas).

https://grf.farm/iron-horse/iron-horse- ... beta-1.tar

Doing a beta because the railtype labels have been reworked, might need some play-testing...

2.46.0 Beta 1 Release

Changes
  • railtype labels changed for all vehicles, an Iron Horse specific scheme is used, with fallbacks to commonly used existing types
  • added Dedicated High Speed Railway
    • only usable by certain high speed vehicles (Helm Wind, Scorcher, Brenner)
    • provides curve speed bonus
    • forbids level crossings
    • sprites need improved
  • high speed vehicles will be limited to 125mph unless using Dedicated High Speed Railway
    • applies to Helm Wind, Scorcher, Brenner
    • can reach maximum speed on Dedicated High Speed Railway
  • add Vehicle Transporter wagons
    • currently transport only vehicles cargo
    • available from around 1930
Docs
  • explain a little about Iron Horse railtype use in 'Code reference' page

Questions...
  • Does the Dedicated High Speed Railway add anything? The intent is to give fast trains a dedicated line, separating then from slower trains, whilst allowing them to use the same stations and junctions as needed
  • Do the Helm Wind and Brenner need mail cars as well as passenger cars?
  • Does anything strange happen with railtype grfs like NuTracks, U&ReRmm, etc? With or without the Iron Horse railtypes turned off (parameter)
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

andythenorth wrote: 19 Apr 2022 18:46 Questions...
  • Does the Dedicated High Speed Railway add anything? The intent is to give fast trains a dedicated line, separating then from slower trains, whilst allowing them to use the same stations and junctions as needed
  • Do the Helm Wind and Brenner need mail cars as well as passenger cars?
  • Does anything strange happen with railtype grfs like NuTracks, U&ReRmm, etc? With or without the Iron Horse railtypes turned off (parameter)
My 2 cent:
Does the Dedicated High Speed Railway add anything?
In case you are trying to build a "realistic" sandbox, definitly yes. Otherwise probably no.
Do the Helm Wind and Brenner need mail cars as well as passenger cars? Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_TGV_La_Poste

One more question:
Are the Vehicle Transporter wagons intend to work with the XIS Extreme Industry Set?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Oakman wrote: 22 Apr 2022 17:14 Are the Vehicle Transporter wagons intend to work with the XIS Extreme Industry Set?
Yes, they should work ok . Works for me with XIS (for vehicles cargo only). Let me know if they don't.

Thanks for the other feedback, helpful.
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

Two small addtions:

The screenshots belows shows how railways with differnt max. speeds can be used (only sandbox, no competative gameplay at all). Theres one 140 km/h track for cargo, one 200 km/h track for express fright & passangers and one 350 km / h track for high speed trains (Iron horse and nutracks)
Multiple Speeds.png
(1.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet
The second question has been solved, I tested with the wrong version, 2.46.0 Beta 1 seems to work with XIS.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

so, loaded up, did some very light playing with.

1. There is a bug in the capacity parameters. Nanoscopic shows up as Puny, Puny is called Marvellous, there are two excessives, first one behaving as marvellous, second one as normal excessive, and outrageous is fine.

2.Helm Wind/Brenner Mail Cars. I think you could mimic the Blaze HST/Scorcher HST, where the Scorcher is effectively a refurbed/improved Blaze HST. Maybe bump the Helm Wind speed up to 155mph/250km/h, and let that never expire and play the role of the fast mail/goods train while also being a cheaper Brenner. Brenner I think should remain passenger only as the cab cars carry passenger and would probably require a new sprite upon refitting to mail/goods/express cargo

3. I like the idea of high speed rail tracks and the enforcement of grade separation they do. I suppose my only request with additional track types is that is it possible for there to be a dual gauge unelectrified track, limited to say, 35mph/56km/h. The lowered speed limit+no electrification would limit the use to only stations/areas where there is no room for separate overlap.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

One more request: Is it possible to upload Version 2.44.0 once more? I'm used to play (very) long sandbox games and 2.44.0 is the last savegame compatible version I could use and I somehow forgot do download it.

Thanks a lot!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

2.46.0 Beta 2 is up, this adds very high speed mail cars, and removes the passenger capacity from the Brenner cab. Which I don't mind, because there was a bug displaying wrong Brenner cab capacity in the buy menu anyway :twisted: And the doors didn't open on the cab sprite :twisted:

https://grf.farm/iron-horse/iron-horse- ... beta-2.tar

This beta also contains a set of Vehicle Transporters / Car Transporters. They're known broken, don't use them :)
Comm Cody wrote: 01 May 2022 21:45 1. There is a bug in the capacity parameters. Nanoscopic shows up as Puny, Puny is called Marvellous, there are two excessives, first one behaving as marvellous, second one as normal excessive, and outrageous is fine.
There's something OpenTTD does with keeping the old parameter value, happened to a Discord user too :) I did try to account for this, but eh, didn't work as expected :)
Oakman wrote: 02 May 2022 14:56 One more request: Is it possible to upload Version 2.44.0 once more? I'm used to play (very) long sandbox games and 2.44.0 is the last savegame compatible version I could use and I somehow forgot do download it.
Here you go -> https://grf.farm/iron-horse/iron-horse-2.44.0.tar
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.46.0 now on Bananas.

Changelog

2.46.0 Release

Changes
  • added Dedicated High Speed Railway
    • only usable by certain high speed vehicles (Helm Wind, Scorcher, Brenner)
    • provides curve speed bonus
    • forbids level crossings
    • sprites need improved
  • high speed vehicles will be limited to 125mph unless using Dedicated High Speed Railway
    • applies to Helm Wind, Scorcher, Brenner
    • can reach maximum speed on Dedicated High Speed Railway
  • added very high speed Mail Vans for Helm Wind and Brenner
  • removed passenger capacity from Brenner engine
  • added Hood Wagons
  • railtype labels changed for all vehicles, an Iron Horse specific scheme is used, with fallbacks to commonly used existing types
Docs

Hood Wagons

horse-2-46-0.png
horse-2-46-0.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.46.2 now on Bananas.

2.46.2 Release

*Fixes*
  • hide unfinished automobile transporter wagons
2.46.1 Release

Changes
  • for vehicles that can use Dedicated High Speed Railway
    • explain variable speed in buy menu
    • default to showing lower (normal rail) speed in buy menu
Fixes
  • set correct speed for Helm Wind on normal rail
  • add missing strings for Dedicated High Speed Railway
  • set correct weight for narrow gauge railbus trailers
Albion2000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Albion2000 »

Heyo, first post here and created an account to specifcially add this-

After updating iron horse 2 after missing a few updates (Last played on 2.44 iirc) U&ReRMM does not seem to recognise that Iron horse 2 needs a 3rd rail rail type. Any idea what is up with that? I've tried moving Iron horse and U&ReRMM around on the modlist so they're in a different order- but I get no change
Screenshot:
[+] Spoiler
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Albion2000 wrote: 20 May 2022 23:00 After updating iron horse 2 after missing a few updates (Last played on 2.44 iirc) U&ReRMM does not seem to recognise that Iron horse 2 needs a 3rd rail rail type.
Yup, it's a by-design change in Iron Horse, but I seem to have missed adding it to the changelogs, sorry :twisted:

For gameplay, Metro isn't 3rd rail, it's a different track type, which is segregated from other types. There was a long-standing bug where Metro was falling back to 3rd rail with railtype grfs like U&ReRMM, that bug was recently fixed.

Suggestions you could try:
1. turn on the Iron Horse railtypes (there's a parameter setting for them).
2. add the Metro Track Set grf (version 2.1.2 seems to work), which also has a lot of configurable options
3. maybe someone will patch U&ReRMM to add a metro type, the original author Ufiby has been active here, but said they don't currently expect to make changes to U&ReRMM

GL :)

Return to “Graphics Releases”