Possibility for a system for diagonal roads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Possibility for a system for diagonal roads

Post by eobet »

I did some experimenting, and while I could fit two roads side by side on one square vertically, I couldn't do the same horisontally. However, one road fits more than well, horisonally and vertically, on a square.

Two new building icons would be needed for this, just like with rails. I know that part of the road only occupies a very tiny bit of square, which looks silly when building, but I think the end effect is quite nice.

Some square space is wasted you say? Yes, but it's exactly the same in Sim City.

Is this a good idea, or does anyone have a better suggestion?
Attachments
Diagonal (or straight...) roads!
Diagonal (or straight...) roads!
roads.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 23000 times
Last edited by eobet on 10 Apr 2004 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

the ends don't line up with a square, so the roads won't line up...

[edit] perhaps it's possible to lower the thing, so that it in effect works the same as a diagonal track?
Last edited by Korenn on 10 Apr 2004 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Warspite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warspite »

i would say thats not a good way of doing it because the normal n/s e/w roads would not fit with those diagonal roads
---------------------------
Warspite
Aspiring Poet
jeanluc-picard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeanluc-picard »

I think it's a good idea! :)
www.warpsoft.it
How far do you wanna go now ?
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Warspite wrote:i would say thats not a good way of doing it because the normal n/s e/w roads would not fit with those diagonal roads
+1 this could not work.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

you'd have to have it so the ends are all on a straight edge of a square
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm... Let me say it a forth time... :lol:

The roads should align to the normal roads!
Use the same system as the tracks do! Damn it!

:wink:
[seriously]Nice Job.[/seriously]
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

GoneWacko wrote:The roads should align to the normal roads!
Use the same system as the tracks do! Damn it!
The roads can align to the normal tiles, with a bit of work...

And why should the roads use the same system as the tracks? They don't do that currently.

Also, I tried that already. As I said, it works vertically, but it's... hmm... ok, I just resized it a bit differently... may work, but still looks odd:

(Unless someone can come up with a really brilliant solution.)
Attachments
Track style roads...
Track style roads...
more roads.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 22963 times
Last edited by eobet on 10 Apr 2004 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Nah I was fooling around.. :o

And I meant the 'system of the tracks' as in the way 2 tracks fit on one cell and how they align to roads.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

The horizontal roads are a bit odd...They're too narrow. The verticals are OK.
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Endre wrote:The horizontal roads are a bit odd...They're too narrow. The verticals are OK.
narrow gauge roads :P

eobet said that there aren't enought room to make the horizontal road look good
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

I think the horizontal roads look fine... :|

Remember that you're looking at the TTD world on a 45 degree angle. So a road that you're looking parallel to will look twice as wide as a road the same width that you're looking perpendicular to.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

Yeah, well I did a quick and dirty resize in photoshop which looked like crap. Then I edited the post with a quick, but not so dirty resize in photoshop, and a reduction of colors, and it didn't look as bad as I thought.

Still... I think it would look odd to see a road in a city, that's aligned to one side... (I mean, cities should be able to build these too). Having the road in the middle, even if it would require weird building pieces, would look better.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

I think it would be better if cities weren't allowed to build diagonal roads. There are too many roads in the cities anyway... and diagonal roads take up twice as many squares.
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

How about changing the scale of roads, so that they're all smaller? Then the diagonal ones wouldn't look too weird. RVs will need resizing too, of course. Just a thought.

Something else I'd like to see regarding roads is different types of road, and other traffic on the roads, and building road junctions etc - although that's going on quite a tangent from the original TTD.
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

mike[F] wrote:How about changing the scale of roads, so that they're all smaller? Then the diagonal ones wouldn't look too weird. RVs will need resizing too, of course. Just a thought.

Something else I'd like to see regarding roads is different types of road, and other traffic on the roads, and building road junctions etc - although that's going on quite a tangent from the original TTD.
That's A LOT of work to do that. Don't count on seeing it soon/at all

Different types of road: do you mean expensive roads have a higer speed limit or?
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

Patchman wrote:I think it would be better if cities weren't allowed to build diagonal roads. There are too many roads in the cities anyway... and diagonal roads take up twice as many squares.
That's why I wanted a road in the middle of the square! That way, the straight roads take up as much as four squares (diameter of two) and creates more space in cities (or villages... perhaps villages should start by only creating these types of roads, and then cities create the other, type?).
mike[F] wrote:How about changing the scale of roads, so that they're all smaller? Then the diagonal ones wouldn't look too weird. RVs will need resizing too, of course. Just a thought.
Great suggestion, and one I've thought of myself. If roads were smaller, bus stations could be like real bus stations, and placed on top of the road tile!

Btw, I remembered why I scaled the roads so small in my unedited post:
Attachments
Tiiiiny roads...
Tiiiiny roads...
arg.png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 22922 times
mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mpettitt »

Patchman wrote:I think it would be better if cities weren't allowed to build diagonal roads. There are too many roads in the cities anyway... and diagonal roads take up twice as many squares.
I think there may even be a case for not having diagonal roads: it makes a better distinction between the road and rail systems. I'd quite like to see highway style roads (multiple lanes running in each direction - each direction about the width of a current road) as well as the current style ones, but am not very keen on the diagonal road idea. Apart from anything else, the buildings wouldn't fit properly onto the sides...
eobet wrote: Great suggestion, and one I've thought of myself. If roads were smaller, bus stations could be like real bus stations, and placed on top of the road tile!
No real reason why you couldn't have a bus stop that sat on the road: it'd be similar to a level crossing in complexity. Of course, you'd then not really want a realistic number of bus stops in a town. Most of the towns only have enough roads for one really!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

mike[F] wrote:... Something else I'd like to see regarding roads is different types of road, and other traffic on the roads, and building road junctions etc - although that's going on quite a tangent from the original TTD.
Excusme, mods for this litle advestment. I'm makeing a such game. But don't exept anyting for serval years.

EDIT: my game will simulate road traffic. And one cell = one line. Link to project in my avtar.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

There's plenty of room alongside the road for a bus station. I bet there's even enough room for the bus to pull over, if you took a chunk out of the sidewalk for it. That way through traffic could pass a bus stopped at the bus stop. You'd only want to do that for smaller bus stops, for larger ones you'd want the multi-stall version.

By the way, I agree with the need to have larger bus stations. I think the best way to handle it would be to allow you to have more than one normal one-square bus stop in a particular station, but to require that they be not merely adjacent to each other, but actually paralell. That way, inbound traffic won't have to worry about race conditions to get a parking spot, they just go into the next available one and not worry about it. And the multiple stations would operate separately as to traffic, so you could have more than one bus entering/exiting the combined complex at a time.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Return to “General OpenTTD”