Can't increase production anymore

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Can't increase production anymore

Post by j7n »

I've installed the latest OpenTTD 1.4.1. I also have OpenGFX Industry grf as well as the other "open" grfs (landscape, trains, road vehicles).

I've found "industrial" and the old "new" stations from TTDPatch. But this game is not as I remember it. In particular, I can't make extremely productive industries anymore.

There is not a single primary industry on my map producing above 400 units. Several are serviced at Very Good or Excellent. I'm used to seeing 1000 units of output from those industries, especially when cargo is taken from them via feeder trains that return quickly.

Good:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6170 ... ine_US.png
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6170 ... nistan.png

Bad:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6170 ... anwell.png

1) Has production been tuned down recently?

2) Do Forests have reduced probability of increased production? They appear to die like Oil Wells here.

Relevant settings I have is "cargo destinations" for all types set to assymetric, the main reason why I am evaluating this last version. No extra industries have been enabled for the temperate climate, because I didn't see those parameters at first. Station ratings are at default. They seem about right.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Can't increase production anymore

Post by Eddi »

industry production depends heavily on which NewGRFs you use, and if you enabled the "smooth economy" setting (which is not compatible with many NewGRFs). for the default primary industries, maximum production should be somewhere around 2200, for secondary this number is multiplied by the size (in tiles)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenGFX+Industries doesn't do any complicated production rules and shouldn't have modified production when compared to original industries (except where they might change accepted / produced cargo to allow the concurrent industry chains).

In order to reach the highest production from primary industries it usually takes quite some time, even with excellent service, though. Typical I'd say, 100 game years.
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

I do have smooth economy (I think it's the default) and no recessions. Maybe it was a streak of bad luck with the Forests. I'll try another game later without OpenGFX+ as they don't do anything useful here, and I see a few graphical glitches with them.

I see most secondary industries are the same size, except refineries which may have a couple additional tiles. It would make sense if a big coal mine with two 'conveyor belts' would produce more than a small one.
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

I've started to get 405 and 464 tonnes of coal for the first time now with monorail. Couldn't get that with regular trains. Seems unusual, but maybe I remember wrong how easy that was.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

In the first screenshot you got % transported lower than 60, which spells trouble for production. Both productions are over 1100 though which is nothing to sneeze at.
In the second pic you got an oil rig with 64% transported, which is fine - more chance for increase than decrease; as with default economy.
In the third situation you got there an oil rig with 80% transported which is just 1% shy of production boost condition (over 80).

From what I can see from the attached screenshots industries are behaving normally.
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

In screenshot 1 the industries have been neglected because not much could be done to optimize the trains, except maybe moving the depot near Birch Town Mines, (slow trains of the U.S. Set, 55 or 60 mph freight car speed limit). And yet the industry still increased its production. Now I find I must really work on fast delivery.
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

I raised false alarm. :oops:

After 80 years of play, the cluster of my first forgotten coal mines now produce 900, 500, 300, which is what I would expect with mediocre service and no added train capacity. The trend must have been slowly upwards. All is fine.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

:-)

That's alright. Takes time to see behaviour under different conditions...

Return to “General OpenTTD”