Smart phone

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Smart phone

Post by Twyster »

Samsung is okay, but I've only had experience with the S3. Don't buy HTC. They use a custom android firmware on all their current and new phones that is linked to their "HTC Sense" technology, and it is surprisingly restrictive.

Even if you don't think you'll need to, eventually you might decide to root your phone. I barely managed to do it on the HTC One X+ I had. Custom firmwares are outright impossible, as trying to install one fried a chip in my first One X+.

In your case, you'd be unlikely to need to root or especially install custom firmware, but there is one thing that will be a problem for any user: Bloatware. Unfortunately, most manufacturers and carriers add programs to their firmware version so that they can keep you hooked to their technological ecosystem. The best option is to get a Nexus, so that you're getting a "pure" version with no bloatware added by your carrier or the manufacturer.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Everyone except Nexus uses a custom android firmware as far as I know. That's one reason I chose Sony over Samsung - I prefer the Sony build

EDIT: In fact I prefer the Sony build... Let's try and make sense.
Last edited by Pingaware on 14 Jun 2014 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Motorolas moto X, G and E also use 'pure' versions of Android.

Nowadays I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Chat. Very low end but enough for me right now. I've managed to use a Samsung Galaxy Y that's now being used by a friend, and for the next phone I'm expecting one of Motorola Moto G, Sony Xperia L or Samsung Galaxy Core. Nowadays I'm more interested on the second one, as it has nice multimedia features and a good camera. Is there any superior phone on the same pricerange or a similarly specced at lower prices?
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I get whatever I'm given at work, pretty much. I've had a Samsung S(1), which was good, S2 which was also quite nice, currently on an S3 which has been solid for the the last year and a half (I think - got it right after release). A couple minor annoyances with it, but nothing I can't live with. My wife has a S5 which is really nice - great pictures, huge screen, nice and bright, theoretically water resistant. Before that she had a Nexus 4 which I really liked, but she hated the camera in it.

I did a bunch of reading and research on the current top of the line phones before I bought her S5. It wasn't the clear winner, but it fit the bill for what she wanted.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Quite surprised how many of us having experience with S3 and almostly none from the later S versions...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Dave

Post by Dave »

S3 is about 24 months old now, so will still be most peoples contract.

Certainly is for me.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

When Samsung releases a phone every 9 months, it's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest, and no real reason to do so.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

I am using Cyanogenmod on a HTC One M7, but it occasionally resets itself, like every 2 weeks or so. Otherwise is stable. Stock Android > Custom Nonsense.
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

YNM wrote:Quite surprised how many of us having experience with S3 and almostly none from the later S versions...
I have an S5 (through work), have only had it for two weeks, can't find anything negative to say about it (yet). And Real Racing 3 looks much better than on my previous Xperia <some letter I never remember>.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

AndersI wrote:
YNM wrote:Quite surprised how many of us having experience with S3 and almostly none from the later S versions...
I have an S5 (through work), have only had it for two weeks, can't find anything negative to say about it (yet). And Real Racing 3 looks much better than on my previous Xperia <some letter I never remember>.
Is it running in native resolution? It doesn't for me no matter how much horsepower I throw at it.
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

StopRightThere wrote:
AndersI wrote:And Real Racing 3 looks much better than on my previous Xperia <some letter I never remember>.
Is it running in native resolution? It doesn't for me no matter how much horsepower I throw at it.
How can I see what resolution it uses?
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

nicfer wrote:Motorolas moto X, G and E also use 'pure' versions of Android.

Nowadays I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Chat. Very low end but enough for me right now. I've managed to use a Samsung Galaxy Y that's now being used by a friend, and for the next phone I'm expecting one of Motorola Moto G, Sony Xperia L or Samsung Galaxy Core. Nowadays I'm more interested on the second one, as it has nice multimedia features and a good camera. Is there any superior phone on the same pricerange or a similarly specced at lower prices?

My sister have the Moto G and the disadvantage are :

the battery can't be remove by you.

There are no slot for a micro SD card.

The rest (so far) are problem with Public Mobile concerning the network. It suppose to be on the 4G, but keep getting back on the 3G.

So my problem are I don't know how to use the internet outside home with the wi-fi, or auto wi-fi. It seem to detect it, but not connected.

My other problem is sometime the GPS navigation don't work. If I'm outside the wi-fi at home, I can't get a position. Time to time its working, I can get one and see what's around, but I notice that yesterday it happen again.

I don't know what's the reason, a network problem or the phone since I can't (compare) to anything. Well if I have a GPS on me (outside the phone) I could see, but then again I don't know if the GPS use the network or something else on the phone.

I can't really ask PM, they don't know a thing about it. You will have to was a LOT of your time on the phone to get anything. By email? Pff forget it, at lest 2 weeks before you get an answer, you reply and wait a long time to get any info.

I don't know if there a way to chat live with them and selling point, well they are only sellers, not tech support.

Maybe Samsung can tell me.

I did find out how to turn off Skype, since that phone is different from other Samsung's phone
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Don Karnage wrote:My sister have the Moto G and the disadvantage are :

The battery can't be remove by you.

There are no slot for a micro SD card.
One should have considered it once he/she buy it. Problems that you can just live with, no way to solve.
Don Karnage wrote:So my problem are I don't know how to use the internet outside home with the wi-fi, or auto wi-fi. It seem to detect it, but not connected.

My other problem is sometime the GPS navigation don't work. If I'm outside the wi-fi at home, I can't get a position. Time to time its working, I can get one and see what's around, but I notice that yesterday it happen again.

I don't know what's the reason, a network problem or the phone since I can't (compare) to anything. Well if I have a GPS on me (outside the phone) I could see, but then again I don't know if the GPS use the network or something else on the phone.

I can't really ask PM, they don't know a thing about it. You will have to was a LOT of your time on the phone to get anything. By email? Pff forget it, at lest 2 weeks before you get an answer, you reply and wait a long time to get any info.

I don't know if there a way to chat live with them and selling point, well they are only sellers, not tech support.
Could have been due to it's surroundings... If you live among skyscrapers or in mountainous areas, that's what to expect, really. Wi-Fi, even the free public ones, must be connected manually from the Wi-Fi settings, if it's your first detection. GPS takes time to lock your position, or you haven't turned it on.

Regarding the other problems, seems like you should get to a Samsung tech support... or try this forum.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Just bought a Samsung Trend Plus GT-S7580 to my daughter. Looks quite good, and was only about 100 Euro. I'll let her give the verdict when she's back from Italy...
FreeZeee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FreeZeee »

Never. Buy. Samsung.

@Kalkulačka
HoQuocDu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HoQuocDu »

Geo Ghost wrote: 26 May 2014 22:32 I'd go with HTC.

Easy to use, customizable, and pretty reliable.

I stuck with Nokia for many years. Then I upgraded to a Lumia and regretted it. 5 days later I had taken the phone back requesting a replacement.
My verdict - avoid Nokia phones and Windows phones. Entirely.
"avoid Nokia phones [...]"

Are you sure? I have 206 (on the right)
Attachments
IMG20220407070628.jpg
Photo shot with Oppo F5, Selfie mode, 7-4-2022
(3.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

HoQuocDu wrote: 22 Apr 2022 09:32

I stuck with Nokia for many years. Then I upgraded to a Lumia and regretted it. 5 days later I had taken the phone back requesting a replacement.

You did just comment on an eight year old post.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Chrill wrote: 22 Apr 2022 11:11
HoQuocDu wrote: 22 Apr 2022 09:32

You did just comment on an eight year old post.
Think how I feel. I was reading it thinking "Wait, I don't remember posting this!" :?

I still stand by what I said 8 years ago though. Nokia smartphones are rubbish :lol:
Had one for a work phone and it was the worst phone I'd ever used.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I had a phase where I used a few Huawei phones, to absolutely no issues at all. I recently switched from a Huawei Honor 10, so a Samsung Galaxy A32, now with 5G!

I used to be a HTC fanboy back in the day, but now, whatever works really. Huawei works, despite their (to my knowledge unproven, at least publically) many suspicions by varying Governments. Before the Huawei i used a string of Cubot phones, totally no brand name here in the UK, which is why you could get very good phones for as little as £50 to £80. Only reason I stopped using them is because their batteries were... no bueno. They quickly went to holding enough charge to maybe display the battery low message before dying again.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I’ve used iPhones since 2010 (3GS, 4S, 5S, SE, 8, 12) quite happily and would recommend them. I’ve just got a standard model 12 (no Pro Max XXL Deluxe or whatever) but it works well for me.

Return to “Off-Topic”