Controlling in-town industry placement?

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

cadfile
Engineer
Engineer

Controlling in-town industry placement?

Post by cadfile »

Is there a setting or something to control if industries are placed too close to a town? I have a common issue where two or three industries are placed in a town close together.

This is one extreme example:

I'm using FIRS 1.3 OTTD 1.4 and have FIRS set on Basic economy. I have towns set low, variety is set to medium, and industries normal

If there isn't something I'm missing I would like to see a setting in the future to limit or control industries in town.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Controlling in-town industry placement?

Post by andythenorth »

Some FIRS industries prefer to locate in or near towns. These include:
- stores, shops, builders yards
- hotels
- grain mill, brewery
- junk yard, recycling depot

The dairy in the screenshot will try and build anywhere, it's unfortunate coincidence that it built in town. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't know if R2dical optimised it for FIRS but there's a game script called Industry Constructor which you can use to offer a good distance between industries and limit number of industries per town.

It's still a little buggy though, can't deal with introduction date for industries and also minimum population rules that, for example, Pikka has on PBI.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
R2dical
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by R2dical »

Nah the current Industry Constructor on Bananas will fail with FIRS, but will handle standard industries and PBI (the latter you will need to modify the default settings a bit, and be a bit careful with what algorithms you choose).

The WIP replacement version (Map Constructor) is currently on hold awaiting a number of roadblocks (pathfinder code from my AI, an update to Opengfx+ Industries, a change to the Bananas entry, and some additions to the API, amongst others) to be solved. It is available on the thread though in alpha form, this has all the code preparation for use with FIRS and ECS but first I have to learn the NML/Python hybrid stuff defining the rules for the industries, to add them individually :?

Dave, what introduction date issues are you referring to?

(Interestingly the games internal mechanic is to try build on any random tile, up to 5000 tries per industry with no consideration with narrowing it down, then succeeding or failing based on the given rules. Those can be hardcoded or grf. If it failed for all 5000 tries it gives up and tries the next :lol: )
Dave

Post by Dave »

R2dical wrote:Nah the current Industry Constructor on Bananas will fail with FIRS, but will handle standard industries and PBI (the latter you will need to modify the default settings a bit, and be a bit careful with what algorithms you choose).

The WIP replacement version (Map Constructor) is currently on hold awaiting a number of roadblocks (pathfinder code from my AI, an update to Opengfx+ Industries, a change to the Bananas entry, and some additions to the API, amongst others) to be solved. It is available on the thread though in alpha form, this has all the code preparation for use with FIRS and ECS but first I have to learn the NML/Python hybrid stuff defining the rules for the industries, to add them individually :?

Dave, what introduction date issues are you referring to?

(Interestingly the games internal mechanic is to try build on any random tile, up to 5000 tries per industry with no consideration with narrowing it down, then succeeding or failing based on the given rules. Those can be hardcoded or grf. If it failed for all 5000 tries it gives up and tries the next :lol: )
Not your issue really. Pikka has it so that some industries can't be created (I think) before 1860ish. Causes the script to get stuck because it can't build.

Probably the solution is to have a check in the script to verify the above.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
cadfile
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cadfile »

Dave wrote:I don't know if R2dical optimised it for FIRS but there's a game script called Industry Constructor which you can use to offer a good distance between industries and limit number of industries per town.

It's still a little buggy though, can't deal with introduction date for industries and also minimum population rules that, for example, Pikka has on PBI.
Thanks for the information. Maybe if I get bored I might give a script a chance.

Just sad I can't optimize the in-town industries that show up AND have enough room for passengers and mail

Return to “Graphics Releases”