"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by Bad_Brett »

andythenorth wrote: 14 Aug 2020 12:41 Far too much stuff and things. So I had an OpenTTD break.

Then I drew some pixels.

Pixels are much more fun than trying to admin parts of the OpenTTD project.

Here pixels.

pan_horse.png

pan_horse_2.png
So glad that you're back. Looking forward to try out the new stuff. :D
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Welcome back. Cool pixels. :)
Ragin1_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragin1_ »

I want those new trains real bad.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Nice, looks like you've put the Quicksilver addon out of business :D and what's this? progress on the NA roster?

(also Andy has something against 4-6-2s confirmed)

I've adapted some IH graphics into my Japan set addon, so your Japanese games will also have the benefit of slag ladles and torpedo cars...
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

I love the white 2-6-2. What will be it's maximum speed?
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

andythenorth wrote: 14 Aug 2020 12:41 Far too much stuff and things. So I had an OpenTTD break.

Then I drew some pixels.

Pixels are much more fun than trying to admin parts of the OpenTTD project.

Here pixels.
Pixels is good. We loves new pixels. Breaks is also good. Mine has been too long... Look forward to new pixels!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 19 Aug 2020 06:26 (also Andy has something against 4-6-2s confirmed)
Well spotted :) DanMacK has a secret dislike of 4-6-2s for numerology reasons, so I've avoided them. That's definitely the absolute truth.

Also, Japanese steel eh ;)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

2.8.0 Beta 1 for your trying of.

Quite a big release, so releasing a beta for keen beans to test, in case I stuffed up.

Final version be done in a week or so, events permitting.

Changelog isn't done, I'll post some more later.

Headline: rebalanced the engine tech tree.

- richer early game (1900 ish) choices
- richer late game (2020 ish) choices
- more eye candy / fake UK realism options when choosing an engine
- a few engines stick around (and are useful) for longer, keeping more variety in available choices

Mostly correct docs are here, with new tech tree https://grf.farm/iron-horse/dev/html/te ... e_red.html
Attachments
iron-horse-2.8.0-beta-1.tar
(18.58 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Ragin1_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragin1_ »

Only bug I've found so far is with the viking sprite being slightly misaligned.
Other than that in my testing I can't really find anything.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Those are some beautiful docs for some beautiful trains. I spy several fun new additions to the Iron Horse family.

Have you considered autocoaches as an earlier variant of the DVT? They’d go well with some of the branch line steam engines. :D
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Ragin1_ wrote: 23 Sep 2020 21:50 Only bug I've found so far is with the viking sprite being slightly misaligned.
Nice catch, thanks. :)
2TallTyler wrote: 24 Sep 2020 00:09 Have you considered autocoaches as an earlier variant of the DVT? They’d go well with some of the branch line steam engines. :D
It's a possibility for a future release yes. ;)
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

It's cool to see some new engines!
I spotted something weird:
I don't see any technical difference between the Grub and the 0-6-0 Lamia. Actually, the Lamia has a somewhat weaker tractive effort, and is more expensive than the Grub. Seeing that the Lamia comes up 40 years after the Grub, shouldn't it be the other way around? (Lamia is cute though)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

arikover wrote: 24 Sep 2020 22:58 I don't see any technical difference between the Grub and the 0-6-0 Lamia. Actually, the Lamia has a somewhat weaker tractive effort, and is more expensive than the Grub. Seeing that the Lamia comes up 40 years after the Grub, shouldn't it be the other way around? (Lamia is cute though)
Good spot. They're intended to be equivalent, just an eye candy choice between 2 very different sprites. Given that goal, it's weird that the Lamia appears later. :twisted:

I might line up the intro dates :)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I'm enjoying this new release. Here's some bugs/observations/suggestions: :)
  • I really like the new Railfreight and Freightliner style alternative liveries, though they don't seem to work as advertised for the Little Bear, Griffon, Fury and Resilient
  • When switching between liveries there is a very brief lag between the colours switching and the livery style switching (just thought it was interesting)
  • Perhaps the ctrl-click alternative liveries for the railcars should also show up on the site?
  • What in the world do those "i numbers" mean in the tech tree? tractive effort coefficient?
  • The little "Mr Train" quotes and background information are a nice touch
  • The classic NewCC Set (not the new one) has an interesting effect on the Railfreight variants because white becomes pale green
  • Pantographs don't go up on most custom NewGRF electric railtypes. I've already mentioned a similar issue regarding the dual mode vehicles - I guess this is related to the railtype limitations but it's a shame that some of IH's features don't work with the vast majority of track sets. Even with the current game limitations it should at least be possible to raise the pantographs when the train is powered regardless of railtype. (edit: perhaps if the dual mode vehicles default to pure electrics instead of pure diesels if an incompatible trackset is detected?)
  • Alignments are 2 pixels off in the diagonals relative to the vast majority of other train GRFs (but this is only a problem when mixing different trainsets)
  • Now that the general freight speed maxes out at 140km/h, the speed of the final generation railcars seems arbitrary and could be bumped up a bit
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 27 Sep 2020 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 26 Sep 2020 11:38 I really like the new Railfreight and Freightliner style alternative liveries, though they don't seem to work as advertised for the Little Bear, Griffon, Fury and Resilient
Nice spot. The online docs might be out of date, I removed the livery switching on those 3 engines as I wasn't happy with the sprites, they might make a return at some point.
When switching between liveries there is a very brief lag between the colours switching and the livery style switching (just thought it was interesting)
Yeah, this seems to be an OpenTTD thing, it happens generally with company colours occasionally, sometimes I get a whole train cached the wrong company colour.
Perhaps the ctrl-click alternative liveries for the railcars should also show up on the site?
Yes, I think this would be good.
What in the world do those "i numbers" mean in the tech tree? tractive effort coefficient?
It's a ratio of horsepower and maximum speed. It's mostly for me to use when designing vehicles. Higher speeds require more HP, so it's possible to accidentally have an 'upgrade' engine which performs worse than the previous generation relative to maximum speed. It's not something players need to engage with, but the code is here for those interested https://github.com/andythenorth/iron-ho ... in.py#L404
Pantographs don't go up on most custom NewGRF electric railtypes. I've already mentioned a similar issue regarding the dual mode vehicles - I guess this is related to the railtype limitations but it's a shame that some of IH's features don't work with the vast majority of track sets. Even with the current game limitations it should at least be possible to raise the pantographs when the train is powered regardless of railtype
It's a limitation of railtype checking in the newgrf spec. I can't be bothered to code all the known electric railtypes.

Possibly this might get fixed in OpenTTD, but it requires digging this pull request out of a hole: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/7000
Alignments are 2 pixels off in the diagonals relative to the vast majority of other train GRFs (but this is only a problem when mixing different trainsets)
Alignments are the gift that keep on giving :) Probably not going to fix this any time soon.
Now that the general freight speed maxes out at 140km/h, the speed of the final generation railcars seems arbitrary and could be bumped up a bit
They're 150km/h (93mph), I could bump to 160km/h (99mph)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

So is a bi-mode Azuma / IEP thing indicated?

Would be introduced around 2020 or so.

Would it work like the Blaze HST (power on the engine, unpowered coaches)?

Or like the Brenner Pendolino (distributed traction)?

IRL it's distributed, but it gets hard to explain distributed bi-mode in the buy menu window (too many combinations of circumstance) :twisted:
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Hello! Another thing I noticed:
Sunshine Coast, Olympic and Bright Country each have a luxury trailer with matching livery, but the High Flyer doesn't have any. Did you forget it, or is it intended?
*edit* I guess it is intended, because the first non-luxury MU (Deasil & Athena) also don't have a matching trailer. Sorry for the post.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

arikover wrote: 01 Oct 2020 15:01 Hello! Another thing I noticed:
Sunshine Coast, Olympic and Bright Country each have a luxury trailer with matching livery, but the High Flyer doesn't have any. Did you forget it, or is it intended?
I think it's because High Flyer might not have enough HP to haul trailers at maximum speed, but I might test that. No other reason.

EDIT: tested it, single High Flyer won't reach maximum speed easily with 1 trailer. It's fine with e.g. 2 High Flyer units and 1 trailer.

I could increase the HP a bit.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 27 Sep 2020 09:56 I removed the livery switching on those 3 engines as I wasn't happy with the sprites, they might make a return at some point.
Ah, I hope those would make a comeback
andythenorth wrote: 28 Sep 2020 08:31 So is a bi-mode Azuma / IEP thing indicated?
It couldn't hurt to have more trains :)

I have another idea for a future addition: how about an APT-P inspired train? It could be a precursor to the Helm Wind and come out in the early 1970s. IMO it would fit nicely between Firebird and alongside the Blaze HST, though perhaps the Helm Wind would need to be bumped to a later year.

Return to “Graphics Development”