I proudly present to you OpenTTD!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Probably not the best idea, in case he does decide to try to shut us down or something.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Ask him in a way as if you are _planning_ to make OpenTTD.
If he says no, respect his opinion and wait for TTU (although maybe he will not like this project either).
If he says yes, great!

Still it may not be the best of ideas.
And if you make sure you use a name that's not on this forum, he will never think of a connection between the two.
Unless he's lurking here, and in that case, he would have threatened with lawsuits and stuff :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

orudge wrote:Probably not the best idea, in case he does decide to try to shut us down or something.
yep, asking could speed up that process, but not asking ... will not prevent that possibility.
I don't like to speculate on the possible positive sides, but those could be worth it.
At lease it could clear up what can, or can't be done with the code. (legaly speaking)
GoneWacko wrote:Unless he's lurking here, and in that case, he would have threatened with lawsuits and stuff.
I don't think he is lurking around here (grin)
But he will probably know of this forum.

(mmm, C.S. close proximity to D.B. ... is unsave. :wink: )
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Phooey. Legally, CS will say you can't do anything, this whole forum and community should die instantly. That's what he said before. He has no legal standing to say this, of course, as he has no ownership in TTD; but that's his attitude.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Actually, that was his agency that said that, and you're being a bit exaggerant.....
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Agreed, we have no official statement from CS. Owen got a letter from him once I believe, but no mention to the patch there if I remember correctly.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I thought CS had grudgingly agreed that the Patch was technically legal, but that he was offended by it and wouldn't help at all. Of course OpenTTD is somewhat less clearly legal than the Patch, at least in its current form.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

I do believe I 'heard' patchman talk about chris sawyer thinking TTDPatch was a bad thing and he hated it. But I can't find it in the log, mainly because I can't remember any exact unique words he used in the sentence...
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I'm sure he (Josef, not Chris Sawyer) posted a message about it on alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc and/or comp.ibm.games.strategic (or whatever the other groupo is) a few years ago.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

the graphics are by Simon Foster, right? Maybe we should contact him through that agency and ask him if we can use the graphics?
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

The graphics, just like the code, do not belong to the author. They belong to the company they were working for at the time, and subsequently whoever bought the rights.
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

Vurlix wrote:The graphics, just like the code, do not belong to the author. They belong to the company they were working for at the time, and subsequently whoever bought the rights.
Any one have any idea's/facts about who or what company(s) would currently own what rights when it comes to the TT's serie/versions ?
MHTransport
Engineer
Engineer

Legality of Reverse Engineering

Post by MHTransport »

In some juristictions Reverse Engineering is legal for certain reasons. Reverse Engineering just to make money is usually not.

In Australia it is (currently) legal to reverse engineer for to interoperate. Reverse Engineering TTDLX to generate a multi-player client that will run on other operating systems WinNT+, Linux, BeOS etc, is probablely legal.

As well the legal argument will center on harm caused to the copyright owner (usually loss of income and reputation) and benefit to the defendant (usually money).

An interoperable (originally reverse engineered) code base that is translated and with each piece *replaced*, would likely be legal.

But, if the copyright owner does not consider it an infringement then there is no legal concerns.
A better OS: http://ubuntu.com/
Soon an even better OS: http://haiku-os.org/
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Tyrell wrote:
Vurlix wrote:The graphics, just like the code, do not belong to the author. They belong to the company they were working for at the time, and subsequently whoever bought the rights.
Any one have any idea's/facts about who or what company(s) would currently own what rights when it comes to the TT's serie/versions ?
Yes, I researched it extensively. There's a thread somewhere around about the corporate ownership of TTD, search for it.
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

Looking ... Found it, thanks
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Hurrah. Apparently, OpenTTD is the 57th most active project on SourceForge as regards CVS, etc. for this week. :)
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Jolly good. :) We don't actually use CVS, but we do use the tracker and so on.
Braino
Engineer
Engineer
Location: Germany -> Mülheim Ruhr, the true capital of Germany ;)

Post by Braino »

I'm quite starving for a list, that lists up all things that aren't implemented yet and lists up the things the new features according to the original ttdlx.

If this list already exists, then I will be very glad, if you can give me the link. =)
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

My god, this is a dream come true!

I was so worried about Locomotion, because it seems to be another 100% assembly implementation for the i386 win32 platform (in other words, not future proof).

And the author of ScummVM, you say? Well, ScummVM is one of the absolutely most impressive reverse engineering feats I've ever heard of, so it is no wonder that it is exactly like the original game.

Oh, and Transport Tycoon Delux for Windows isn't really fully XP compatible, is it, so a good lawyer could probably argue fair use on this case.

BTW, Locomotion article is located at: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/02 ... 92788.html

As I said, this is a dream come true. Please don't wake me up.

Return to “General OpenTTD”