Alex's Questions

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Alex's Questions

Post by AlexG »

Hello everyone!

I'm an regular player of openTTD and I have a couple of questions about the game and the lastest version. I'm a player of multiplayer and single player game and as some people from this forum knows me, I've made a topic long time ago about making a map (Europe) with real railway infrastructure and highways as it would be in the real life...but after a while, when I started to lay trains and buses, my game started to work slower and choppy and it's hard after one year and 90% almost finished (without all the trains and buses created), to restart from scratch on a new version of OTTD....so my first question, would be:

1. I have the version R22273M which is kinda old and some new GRF don't work in it....in the latest releases, does OTTD recognize more than one core (Dual to Quad Core) ?

2. Is there a map \ scenario bigger than 2048 x ...more bigger than (Carst Europe v3), something like 8000 x but only with Europe ?

3. Alpine Climate does it work on temperate ? Cause I can see a difference in Carst Europe scenario. It needs more higher mountains for snow to apear ?

Thank you for reading my post and hope someone would share an opinion :)

Here if its ok, I'll post my questions about the game...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Alex's Questions

Post by planetmaker »

Sadguardian wrote: 1. I have the version R22273M which is kinda old and some new GRF don't work in it....in the latest releases, does OTTD recognize more than one core (Dual to Quad Core) ?

2. Is there a map \ scenario bigger than 2048 x ...more bigger than (Carst Europe v3), something like 8000 x but only with Europe ?

3. Alpine Climate does it work on temperate ? Cause I can see a difference in Carst Europe scenario. It needs more higher mountains for snow to apear ?
Yes. But 'no' in the sense you mean it.
Yes. But not with default OpenTTD. There are some - likely ancient - patches to increase the limit. It will explode your memory, though.
Yes. Snow is only available in arctic climate.
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Thanks !

I have another question. Is there a version of the game that does have departures boards active ? Can I get a link where to download it ?
Which is a better choice of the game for creating a continuous game map ? 1.2.3 or nightly ?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

use 1.2.3 (stable) if you just want to get started, or to frequently play multiplayer. generally these are the versions that should have the least troubles.

use nightly if you see a specific feature that you need from it, or if you are willing to update frequently, and report problems to the developers.

all savegames created with either of these should be possible to load in future versions, so you can play long-term games with both of them.

some features, like departure boards, however are not (yet) part of any official version of openttd, you can find these features, or combined patch packs on the development forum, but with these you can usually not load the savegames in any future versions, not even when the feature is finally introduced to the official versions. you should have experience with compiling programs and basic programming skills if you want to try these, but you cannot expect support for these custom versions.
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Thank you for your fast reply! ;)

That explains a lot, since in an old version of ottd I couldn't export my savegame and load in a newer (as can be) of the game, I think because of those departure boards....anyway good to know :) thanks again.

May I get an opinion with what grf (let's say, basics) I should start ? I saw there are some OpenGFX + Landscapes or Airports, what exactly are those ?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sadguardian wrote:May I get an opinion with what grf (let's say, basics) I should start ? I saw there are some OpenGFX + Landscapes or Airports, what exactly are those ?
There's no general rule of "use those NewGRFs and you'll be happy" as everyone has different opinions of what constitutes a fun and good game.
OpenGFX+ Landscape and OpenGFX+ Airports allow you to modify the - surprise! - landscape and airports, adding some more options like removal of grid lines or rotations to the default airports and enhanced ground awareness.
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

So I've tried the latest version which includes departure boards and it seems is too old for FIRS to be recognized :| (and \ or, to recognize other GRF). I don't wish to give up to departure boards because it kinda makes the game more funny and I wish I knew someone who is willing to show me a version of ottd that includes departure boards and is enough higher for FIRS and other GRF to be recognized...

Can anyone help me ?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Sadguardian wrote:So I've tried the latest version which includes departure boards and it seems is too old for FIRS to be recognized :| (and \ or, to recognize other GRF). I don't wish to give up to departure boards because it kinda makes the game more funny and I wish I knew someone who is willing to show me a version of ottd that includes departure boards and is enough higher for FIRS and other GRF to be recognized...

Can anyone help me ?
I'm not sure there are any. I can't recall any off the top of my head. However, you should be able to get old versions (one of which will work) of FIRS from here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Thanks!

It works with FIRS 7.0.
It is possible to play on a version of ottd and after a while, to apply a patch without affecting a savegame and continue on it ?
And what it is with 10-1001 INFRA Roads.GRF ? Does it works or it need a special version of openttd ?
Same for Maritime Collection...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Sadguardian wrote: And what it is with 10-1001 INFRA Roads.GRF ? Does it works or it need a special version of openttd ?
Same for Maritime Collection...
Hmm... where did you get it ? The answer is highly dependant on the source of those grf...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Simuscape (10-1001 INFRA Road) and Maritime Collection is from http://www.ttdpatch.de/download.html :roll: ...or maybe I don't know how to find them in the game :)
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Both of those NewGrfs are relatively new so it is possible that they are not compatible with the older patch pack you are playing with. As to finding them and activating them in game that is done via the NewGrf Settings button on the start screen. Of course they do have to be in the proper folders in order for the game to recognize them in the first place. In either case the searchable OTTD WIKI will give you much more detail then I can get into here.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Yes, you are right...GRF (10-1001) is relatively new and I don't think is yet compatible with the latest version of ottd...Martime is a bit old and both of them are shown in the list of the game but not working afterwards :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Marico adds water-related NewObjects, which are available from a menu on the Landscaping toolbar (the transmitter-like one). Some versions of it have slightly odd dates for most objects - you can't build most things before 1920 or after 2000 - but they should still show up hashed-out in the menu.
Are you sure you're looking in the right place? :P
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Found them, thanks! :D
I have another question....how do I increase the limit of newGRF ? :roll:
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Sadguardian wrote:Found them, thanks! :D
I have another question....how do I increase the limit of newGRF ? :roll:
You have to patch the OTTD source code and compile, or look for a pre-patched version of OTTD that has the limit increased; often these patched versions have other new features as well (there're 2 examples I am aware of that have increased limits here and here, be sure to read the documentation for the second one).
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

I've found one which allows more GRF.

I have one more question....when will it be released the 1.3.0 version ? ...and if it will have this option included.
And what it does do the option: Show arrivals and departure in timetables: On \ Off -> Advanced Settings -> Interface ?

Thank you and good night
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sadguardian wrote:Thanks :mrgreen:
I've found one which allows more GRF.

I have one more question....when will it be released the 1.3.0 version ?
Later this year :-)
...and if it will have this option included.
Nope.
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Almost one year since I've posted here...
I have a question about stations in OTTD. I've started a new game, but on some stations sets, I can't select the station I want. I happens most on Canadian and Amtrak stations. Let's say, from 10 stations, I can use only 6 or 4.
I have uploaded a picture for more details (I want to mention that the year is 2010, that station should be available and not grayed out).

Thank you!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (110.59 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”