A TT game online?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

A TT game online?

Post by BadSpeed »

Hello,

I'm a big fan of the openTTD and I would like to first of all tell you all my appreciation of the work which has been done to achieve such a great game!

One more thing, that I want to share with you, I really don't know where to post this message and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it here.

Now that those two things are out of the way, I decided to register and to post a message on this forum to see if you people would be interested in the game that I dream of playing, a mix of Simcity and Transport Tycoon:
1. A user could decide to be a mayor of city and plan and expand its cities to new limits by meeting the needs of its citizen
2. A user could decide to be a Transport Tycoon and build its own transport company to move goods around from factories to factories or shops in cities
3. A user could be a Manufacturer Giant where he would build plants (and design products!!) to sell its products to other companies or to the mass market

All this, to me, can only work in an MMO environment where hundreds of player play on the same map...
I a web expert, so to me, the only way to do so (or the only that I know how to build this), would be to build something in HTML5. I've been working for a few weeks on how to render the map, to have interaction between elements on the map and with the user and I feel that with this technology I could achieve what I'm dreaming about.

And my question to you: do you believe that this idea kicks ass? or is it just stupid?

I'm asking this because I don't want to spend countless hours on this amazing (I hope) idea for nothing if I'm the only one who thinks that it is amazing. And I'm not saying that I will make the game and it will be release in the coming days (a year of dev is a MINIMUM)...
But I would very much like you input on my idea!

PS: I know people have proposed project like that but from what I've seen they all failed (and I don't know why)
Social Maps will revolutionize your way of interacting with your social network online but also in your realife! Make sure to check it out to be able to see where your friends are in real time and plan for your next night out!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: A TT game online?

Post by Zuu »

And my question to you: do you believe that this idea kicks ass? or is it just stupid?
If you believe in your idea and work hard, you might be able to overcome speed issues and create something interesting.

Someone figured out how to compile OpenTTD into java script so that it runs (slowly) from a browser. The limit is the sky. But it needs dedication and that you have an idea of where you are going so that you can make design decisions along the way that points toward your target.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

I definitely think it would be a good idea to make a mix of similar city and Transport tycoon I hope you can do it only thing I can say is keep working at it and hopefully it will become a reality
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

Zuu wrote:Someone figured out how to compile OpenTTD into java script so that it runs (slowly) from a browser. The limit is the sky.
Interesting information ...
I really want to figure out the "engine", at least the rendering part, in full HTML5 / CSS, to make sure that I can do what I want without having to build a canvas, only with divs and such. May be that's not the best idea, BUT that's the path I want to take to limit javascript calculation (at least that's what I hope).
I'm testing this on city generation ... I'll try to share screenshots once I reach something worth seeing to get some feedback.

Is there a way to reuse, at least for the time being, the tiles used in openTTD? At the moment, I made simple tile in photoshop ;)

Good to see that their is some sort of interest.
Social Maps will revolutionize your way of interacting with your social network online but also in your realife! Make sure to check it out to be able to see where your friends are in real time and plan for your next night out!
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

BadSpeed wrote:Is there a way to reuse, at least for the time being, the tiles used in openTTD? At the moment, I made simple tile in photoshop ;)
Sure, you could reuse the graphics from OpenGFX. If you do so, please keep the license in mind.
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

Hey,

I just wanted to give a quick update on this, cause I’ve been having fun/working on building a server and it has already been more than 1 month since my last message.
So far, I have been able to:
1. to create a server with a map
2. to generate towns and simulate growth on the map
3. to connect with Google Chrome to render the map (multiple connections to the map)
4. have a loading screen to ensure a smooth rendering

A town is built from Main Street, from which streets are built away. When a town growth, building a filled up, if needed, I had a street on the edge of the town to add buildings.

I need now to work on the communication between clients and the server to ensure that I can load a user and update the map.

I put two screens just to illustrate the loading page and the view of a town. As you will see, I didn’t use the openTTD graphics to avoid copyright issues though.

Bottom line, I’m having fun on creating this, I’ll try to update you more often … even if no one care, just because it will help me think about next steps for the development

PS: Like I said before, I suck in designing
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-12-24 at 1.51.07 PM.png
(151.21 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Screen Shot 2012-12-24 at 1.51.16 PM.png
(626.5 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

BadSpeed wrote:As you will see, I didn’t use the openTTD graphics to avoid copyright issues.
Can you not use OpenGFX?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hmm, have you proposed a name ?
Good to know somebody tried to make a SC - TT(D) mixing !
(question : well, maybe the basic problem, how to balance the players on each aspects ?)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

OpenGFX => I haven't read the license so far, so I don't know what would be the restriction. I'll check it at some point... but I would love to avoid looking too much like TTD, to give a more smooth look

Name => Not really, for now, on my computer it is called IMT for "I'M a Tycoon" ... but I don't really like the name :P I'll search for names once I have something that I can release for alpha/beta/whatEverA

Mechanics/Balancings => Tough question, I have some ideas on how I want to do it (which I won't go into detail at this point). But basically, a player cannot assume both role (mayor and tycoon), you will have to choose what you want to do. Obviously, one role will have an impact on environment and other players job. As the picture in my head is very complicated, I will go step by step with first implementing the transport side, then production and finally city governing ... and most probably, I will have to continue integrating aspects such as corporation and government, but by then I will have either stopped the project (due to its failure or my lack of interest) or the game will have already be released...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

BadSpeed wrote:OpenGFX => I haven't read the license so far, so I don't know what would be the restriction. I'll check it at some point... but I would love to avoid looking too much like TTD, to give a more smooth look.

It's under GNU Public License v2. In a nutshell, make sure you distribute all the documentation & license to OpenGFX and either distribute all the code or link people to it who request it.

If you want something smoother than OpenGFX, then you might be interested in the 32bpp zBase set, same license.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

I have been having similiar thoughts about openttd.

Heres what I was going to do.
  • 1.Generate real world terrain of all planets in solar system using greyscale hieghtmaps
    2.Players place orders through an online client or via twitter to a collection center (they could change their rations/tax rates)
    3.Players start out in the cell stage and must evovle enough to either join a city or start their own city.
    4.Each player generates 16-24 hours of man power per day, which can be adjusted via your government
    5.Each player has real needs and will die if those needs are not met, costing the city a revival cost.
    6.A complex [Industrial Giant 2] product system will allow for players to be entrepanuers and create product lines.
    7.Once you place your HQ in a city you must build from that cities roads, you can not build anywhere.
    8.War is handled through my youtube channel, and a basic war engine based on man hours and resources calculates who wins and what they get in the "world"
    9.If a war is serious enough there will be a micro-tournament between the two biggest factions, whoever wins destroys and accumulates others.
    10.Micro transactions would only be for special player skins.
I myself just started some coding in python, I would love to work with you on this project Badspeed!!!!!!
Last edited by Zhall on 27 Dec 2012 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

BadSpeed wrote:OpenGFX => I haven't read the license so far, so I don't know what would be the restriction. I'll check it at some point... but I would love to avoid looking too much like TTD, to give a more smooth look

Name => Not really, for now, on my computer it is called IMT for "I'M a Tycoon" ... but I don't really like the name :P I'll search for names once I have something that I can release for alpha/beta/whatEverA

Mechanics/Balancings => Tough question, I have some ideas on how I want to do it (which I won't go into detail at this point). But basically, a player cannot assume both role (mayor and tycoon), you will have to choose what you want to do. Obviously, one role will have an impact on environment and other players job. As the picture in my head is very complicated, I will go step by step with first implementing the transport side, then production and finally city governing ... and most probably, I will have to continue integrating aspects such as corporation and government, but by then I will have either stopped the project (due to its failure or my lack of interest) or the game will have already be released...
Look at the game "Starpeace" It aleady has that aspect figured out.

Btw I have a 27 page google doc full of ideas for this game, of which i would call Impetus™

If you make a game of this scale into an MMO, then you are basically creating a new reality for everyone. lol

You might check out the "http://stateofprofit.com/" project and see where he is getting held up (Time).

ALSO, if http://empire.goodgamestudios.com/ can do it smoothly (HTML5?) Then I think we can pull off our openttdmmo. lol

I think the only way to truely make this game epic is to seperate it into different spans of time, Each player starts out as a single cell and works their way up to commanding a galactic empire (spore).

And, solely paid for by adrevenue from my youtube channel, we could distribute Impetus™ for free!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Sapphire united wrote: I myself just started some coding in python, I would love to work with you on this project Badspeed!!!!!!
Got myself C++. (still, no idea about GUI) No sure about CSS, HTML, or PHP, but maybe I can take a look...
Oh, also, I can talk to the SC community anyway, they planned a fully fan-made game similiar to SC, who know it might be laid together with this ? (anybody here into CXL or CiM community ? That helps a lot too, apparently)

For the name, I suggest "Second Opinion", but thats maybe weird.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Cities XL has some great features in it, as well as sim city 4 does.

If we take...

Cities XL + Sim city 4 + Capitalism 2 + Industrial Giant 2 + Civilization 5 = ULTRAUBEROPENNTDDMMOGOODNESS!!!!

Shall we? :bow:
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Now of course this is stolen from empire earth 3, but we could make something ourselfs which could be very similiar! :D

And heres a simple product tree I put together for it. (converted everything to be a board game, but I can go the other way too)
Attachments
Impetus box art
Impetus box art
Impetus.png (295.12 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
Impetus product tree
Impetus product tree
Impetus Product tree_02.png (98.55 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

A lot of messages :)

http://empire.goodgamestudios.com/ is in Flash.
For the other game, I will create an account to see how it works.

Help is always welcome and you guys provided a lot of content that I need to digest... to see how it could fit with my vision of the project.

One thing crucial for me is that everything needs to be in the same engine (at this time HTML5/CSS and NodeJS) and everyone should be in the same planet / zone / time (at least every one on the same server), of course mechanics to avoid hostile take over should be put in a place to make sure that everyone joining the server as equal chances in this virtual world.

While this as been said, I really like the idea of mixing twitter to place orders and stuff... Youtube, I'm not sure I understand your point on that one :)
And nice tech tree!

Bottom line, a lot needs to be done to have something fun to play with
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

Sapphire united wrote:1.Generate real world terrain of all planets in solar system using greyscale hieghtmaps
Only Earth, Mars and maybe Mercury are interesting - Venus is quite flat and the other planets do not have a solid surface. You could model some moons of Jupiter and Saturn and of course our own moon.
4.Each player generates 16-24 hours of man power per day, which can be adjusted via your government
Different day length for different planets/moons ;).
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Youtube is essential for interaction.

People can show off what they have made, and we can showcase the best.

Just look at what it did for Minecraft. and how it failed miserably for spore.

I have some documentation up on google docs, if you want to merge yours with mine, I would be happy to do so.

Edit: Merging with p1sim might also be a good idea.

Or, we can keep this project 100% opensource and pure! :D

And heres how the story can start! lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/KippurCatArts?feature=mhee

Basically, we're making industrial giant 3,capitalism 3, and outpost 3, all wrapped into one game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kG0YyKR_6Y
Last edited by Zhall on 27 Dec 2012 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Merging too many projects at one may cause a break and too many ideas... Better to start moving ahead.
Started to read some HTML tutorial today - never know its as easy as writing a readme (but thats a really early start) and never know its even only need a notepad to modify (not even notepad++).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Hint: Don't use notepad, it sucks ASS.

Use http://www.flashdevelop.org/ instead.

Here is a mockup of a factory making products in IMPETUS™.

I HAVE A LOT OF NON-COPYWRITTEN ASSETS, just make a list of what you need. :D
Attachments
Mock up.png
Mock up.png (561.58 KiB) Viewed 11338 times

Return to “Off-Topic”