't was but a small test

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Mark83
Engineer
Engineer

't was but a small test

Post by Mark83 »

Hi Guys,

I've been trying out Unity 3D for the past few days for some work related stuff, and was inspired to make a small TT like test program to see how far I could take it.

Considering that it allows for some mega productivity, maybe I should continue to work on it. It is pretty fun, but just creating a TT clone is perhaps not at all useful. So not really sure what to do with it.

Anyway, here's a small screenshot. Try to guess the train :-)
logistica1.jpg
Screenshot
(309.32 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 't was but a small test

Post by maquinista »

Mark83 wrote:Hi Guys,

I've been trying out Unity 3D for the past few days for some work related stuff, and was inspired to make a small TT like test program to see how far I could take it.

Considering that it allows for some mega productivity, maybe I should continue to work on it. It is pretty fun, but just creating a TT clone is perhaps not at all useful. So not really sure what to do with it.

Anyway, here's a small screenshot. Try to guess the train :-)
logistica1.jpg
Looks nice. :D
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Mark83
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mark83 »

Thanks. I did manage to add a track laying mechanism. It has corners, but not as many options for them as locomotion. The tracks in the attached screenshot were layed just by clicking the mouse on the tiles where you want the track to go.

Unfortunately I can't spend as much time on it as I like, but when I find the time I'll implement trains that can follow these curved rails to and from stations. Currently it can only drive in a straight line which is not good ;-)

Edit: railtrack colors still have to be put back to the low contrast of the first screenshot, now they look kinda grainy. Sorry for that.
Attachments
railtracks.jpg
(332.39 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Hey, hey. That is pretty cool :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

It looks like more and more people are getting interested in game developing. In particular: 'creative' instead of 'destructive' games. This is a good (green) signal ;).
Stop those stupid shooting games, make peaceful games!
graphite.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by graphite. »

A few years back I did some modding on Sid Meier’s railroads, which used Emergent’s Gamebyro engine {licence $180,000USD}. RT4 had a lot of potential but so broken. My thoughts back then were that Unity3 could be the perfect platform to do a RT style game without the hefty licence fee. But life got in the way, and the project found itself on my ever increasing to do list, which now resembles a roll of toilet paper.

Having just recently rediscovered OTTD {great job all}, and this post has re-sparked the interest. So I downloaded the latest version of Unity4, you can grab a free version here:http://unity3d.com/unity/download/ and thought I’d take it for a quick test drive.

Created a single Unity terrain tile {you can have as many as you want, you just stich them together}, jumped into Photoshop and made a 64x64 pixel grid, and applied it as the terrain base texture. Using Unity’s terrain editor I painted in the hills, lake, added water and plonked down some trees.

Next a couple of real scale models {untextured}

A quick stress test {loco is just on a half a million polys}

Overview {slab that covers the 64 px grid is 15sqm} Build time <20min.

Unity is just so easy to work with, have dropped in a FP camera which allows me to run around the scene using wsad/space and see it all from a FP perspective. Unity also has orthographic cameras so you could switch between them on the fly.

Now that I have a scene, I can hit the build button and make a version for distribution. This can be made for any format i.e. PC, Mac, Linux, Web Player, Flash, IoS, Android, Xbox, PSP, WiiU etc.

This is one cool app guys, and did I mention it’s free ;) Their also releasing a 64 bit version {3rd quarter this year}, it supports C#, javascript, boo etc

Cheers all

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”