MARS: OpenGFX Style

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: MARS: OpenGFX Style

Post by oftcrash »

Hydroponic Farm
Mars Farm
Mars Farm
mars-farm.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
I first set this as a crystal growing farm, which would then go to a processor, then be turned into fuel pods (I actually like the bubble graphics from the toyland theme). It just doesn't look like that. It looks like its supposed to be some sort of farm. So, I turned it into that.
Produces: Food
Accepts: Carbon Dioxide

Fuel Extractor
Fuel Extractor
Fuel Extractor
extractor.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Well, this was going to extract the fuel from the crystals. The yellow piles out front kind of looked like the things in the bubbles above. It just didn't make sense. I'm not sure what to turn this into, though I like it still producing fuel pods.
Produces: Fuel Pods
Accepts: No idea

Fusion Reactor
Mars Reactor
Mars Reactor
mars-reactor.png (8.05 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
There were three of these buildings in the original graphics, but I decided to strip out the extra two and just show the singleton. Maybe I can borrow some graphics from the power station in temperate for scenery elements or something.
Produces: Nothing
Accepts: Fuel Pods
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Greenhouse Gas Generator
Mars Refinery
Mars Refinery
mars-refinery.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
The graphic doesn't really work for this - maybe I should switch it to produce reactor fuel instead.
Produces: Nothing
Accepts: Carbon Dioxide

Automated Manufactory
Mars Factory
Mars Factory
mars-factory.png (11.32 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Automated manufacturing plant that creates the various supplies needed by the colony.
Produces: Colony Supplies
Accepts: Ceramic-metal Alloy, Plastic
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

As I mentioned earlier, this was really just a project to learn NML. I have a working newgrf that has all these industries in them all the cargos defined. I haven't really done anything to test and tweak the actual production amounts and whatnot, but it beats transporting cola and cotton candy.

I've just started converting the rail cars, but there's something in George's grf that is generating extra vehicles, but I can't find the IDs to override them.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

oftcrash wrote:Produces: Wood, Oxygen (how you'd gather oxygen is beyond me, but whatever)
With a dome. 8) I think these look really good, I like your industry ideas. I'd say go ahead and roll with them. If somebody else doesn't like it, they can make their own industry replacement set for it ;-)
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I dont think Mars is under open license, but check yourself :d
ImageImageImage
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Its not under open license, no, which is why I'm not touching the original GRF. Everything I'm doing is in a separate newgrf that needs to be loaded after T2M. The graphics themselves, according to the copyright notice in that GRF, are the original Microprose images.

Personally, I'd love to see a more realistic version, as it looked like the original intent of this thread was headed (and still is, I hope). Or, go all out with the "fantasy" version and go Buck Rogers, John Carter and Flash Gordon. Sort of the dieselpunk version :)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I didn't want to hijack this project's thread, so I started a separate one:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64009

I still have hopes that the OpenGFX grf sees the light of day :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

After noticing some things missing from Toyland2Mars, I contacted George about the possibility of fixing them. George says he doesn't have the time or interest in fixing them, but if somebody is willing to work on new graphics independently, he would provide the code for Toyland2Mars as a GPLv2 project for the community to maintain.

I contacted oberhümer several weeks ago to see if he was interested in continuing working on sprites, but he has not been here since January 3rd. I hope he's okay and just really busy with life. Would anybody else be interested in stepping up and continuing to develop the graphics?

I've spoken with oftcrash about his Martian Industries add-on, and he's also interested in continuing the project, both as an add-on for T2M as well as any revamped graphics to be used in a GPLv2 replacement project. Oftcrash has also released a Martian Town Names NewGRF.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

ROLEPLAYS TERRAFORMED MARS AS TEMPERATE
USES STEAM ENGINES FROM 19TH CENTURY
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015

Return to “Graphics Development”