WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.2 released (20 february 2016)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WIP: Beach object tiles

Post by Quast65 »

The brighter version is really brutally overbrightened I think; the original did fit opengfx a lot better - if you look at opengfx grass, it definitely is not reflecting strong lighting, while the beach seems to.
Well I kinda agree... The problem is that for the grass there are a lot more shades of green available, there are not that many shades of yellow. Now that I came up with that yellow color I must say that I don't like the original ones that much anymore.
Also keep in mind that sand will reflect sunlight a lot more and that our eyes are evolved to see shades of green better. Therefor green will always look better to us.
I am intrigued now about the 32bpp option... Does that mean you can use any color of the spectrum now, so I could use other shades of yellow?
Don't forget the snow transitions
Unless you're in Dubai.
lol, don't forget to pack your skimask together with your swimshorts or bikini ;-)

Please keep comments coming, it will only help to make it a bit better!
And a little screenie, this is how it looks with "normal" shorelines:
Beach28.png
Beach28.png (57 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
EDIT:
The transition from water to land was a little too harsh in my opinion, I now used a sort of wet sand transition, how does it look to you?
Beach29.png
Beach29.png (30.81 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Moluma
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Moluma »

I think I more like the sand with more contrast like the one you had made here http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=163988 (I'm not saying that I don't like the latest one, but if I should choose one of them, I would go for more contrast in the sand).
The contrast between light and shadow can of course also be too strong, so maybe something in between. I don't think the coloring has to be strict realistic, if it makes the final result look nicer. But it's of course very individual what we each find best, and the color-scheme also put some limits - as you mentioned.
However the wet sand transitionon the on bright sand is very nice :)
Creator of: The Lighthouse Set
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Thnx!
Well I think I am getting somewhere with these colors (looks nice too with your great lighthouses)
Beach30.png
Beach30.png (102.96 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Beach31.png
Beach31.png (24.2 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Superlative! :bow:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Moluma wrote:I think I more like the sand with more contrast like the one you had made here http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=163988 (I'm not saying that I don't like the latest one, but if I should choose one of them, I would go for more contrast in the sand).
The contrast between light and shadow can of course also be too strong, so maybe something in between. I don't think the coloring has to be strict realistic, if it makes the final result look nicer. But it's of course very individual what we each find best, and the color-scheme also put some limits - as you mentioned.
I'll agree.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

kamnet wrote:
Moluma wrote:I think I more like the sand with more contrast like the one you had made here http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=163988 (I'm not saying that I don't like the latest one, but if I should choose one of them, I would go for more contrast in the sand).
I'll agree.
+1

Regarding shades of yellow, the greenish colours are also very viable, and even make it look a lot more natural by making it less "clean". You just have to be a bit careful about their usage. The colours I would use are in the attachment.
About the colours: The most used would be the first four, I think even some few gray pixels would make it nice. The other four are super situational and probably not too useful. However you can see that the variety is quite large :) Do not fear to mix the colours instead of using just one.
Attachments
beachcolours.png
beachcolours.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
ImageImageImage
Moluma
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Moluma »

Quast65 wrote: Well I think I am getting somewhere with these colors
It is very hard to say what is best in general. Another perspective to see the coloring into is if it’s a beach or whole desert island/land. Personally I think it’s very different if it’s a whole desert island than beach with grassland in behind. Take for instance the desert in subtropic climate. There the contrast is rather high, and it helps the orientation when whole the screen in filled by desert land.
The screenie you present there is looking good :) It could be nice to see the wider surf applied to those beaches, which you had earlier. (By the way - nice detail with the paths)
Quast65 wrote: (looks nice too with your great lighthouses)
Thanks - nice you think so, but I should seriously consider making a suitable sand tile to (least some of) the lighthouses for the beaches :wink: :idea:
Creator of: The Lighthouse Set
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Thnx al for your replies and thinking with me on this!
I am indeed also very happy with the way the surf turned out. I'll see how I can impliment this with those watertiles I'm making.
The colours I would use are in the attachment.
Thank you!! This is very useful. I just tried a quick repaint and using some greenshades does indeed make it look better. Haven't got time right now to make a version good enough for a screenie, but I'll work on it. Very very useful information!
(By the way - nice detail with the paths)
Just a little bonus when you put two grass to beach transitions next to each other ;-) But I like the effect it has.
but I should seriously consider making a suitable sand tile to (least some of) the lighthouses for the beaches
That would be cool! The GRF I'm making will be GPlv2, so you are free to use my sand if you want, when it is ready for release.
(by the way, as I stated before in an other reply in your thread I think, having a few different bases for those great lighthouses would be nice, ISR style for example to match industrial areas and concrete for urban. You still have room for 3 other versions of the same lighthouse without having to use more objectID's, would be cool to use them for that)

Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

When can we expect the publication of the Beach? :))
MfG Streckenläufer
OpenTTD V1.7.1, r27930 - Trafficlight - Bridge/tunnel Signals - Watertunnel - HousePlacing - SeaplaneAirport - Clipboard - Win7 64bit - MinGW/msys
!Sorry for my google English translator!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sorry, bit busy with real life things and also playing a game right now ;-) So might take a while, I have some more free time next week, so I'll see what I can do then.

Streckenläufer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Streckenläufer »

and also playing a game right now ;-) Aha :mrgreen:
MfG Streckenläufer
OpenTTD V1.7.1, r27930 - Trafficlight - Bridge/tunnel Signals - Watertunnel - HousePlacing - SeaplaneAirport - Clipboard - Win7 64bit - MinGW/msys
!Sorry for my google English translator!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Quast65 wrote:Sorry, bit busy with real life things and also playing a game right now ;-) So might take a while, I have some more free time next week, so I'll see what I can do then.
Don't tell us ... You got OTTD/TTDP working on your cell phone/mobile/iphone while sunbathing (research?) by the Mediterranean? :mrgreen:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Don't tell us ... You got OTTD/TTDP working on your cell phone/mobile/iphone while sunbathing (research?) by the Mediterranean?
I wish that was true ;-)

However, I couldn't stop messing about with these tiles and I'm quite happy with what I came up with!
Fiddled around a bit with textures and colors and came up with these:
Beach32.png
Beach32.png (84.55 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
A lot less pinkish, not too yellow and not too bright to hurt the eyes I think. I'll post some more screenies later.
And I must say, respect to anyone who has worked on any form of landscape tiles! Man, these are difficult to get right ;-)

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hmm, sometimes shore sands do seems that white - TBH for worldwide use, I still prefer the older ones (not the oldest through).
Last edited by YNM on 09 Oct 2012 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote: [...] I must say, respect to anyone who has worked on any form of landscape tiles! Man, these are difficult to get right ;-)
[da capo] The position of the sun in your picture is wrong. Andy?

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

TBH for worldwide use, I still prefer the older ones (not the oldest through).
Well, sometimes it is a matter of personal taste. As I said I'm happy with what I got now. The eldest ones were too brown for my taste, the version after that too pink and the latest one was too bright for me. I think I'll stick to these.
The position of the sun in your picture is wrong.
Really? What angle(s) have I got wrong? I think I got it right if you compare it with the shades of the grass.

And another screenie of two islands, one with the gradual shore tiles and one with the normal shoreline:
Beach33.png
Beach33.png (77.01 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Personally, I like all the sand variations. You should keep them all.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sun should be located around 4:30. Thus user-facing slopes slightly brighter than slopes down to the back. Right (Eastern) slopes the brightest, the left (Western) slopes the darkest.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Personally, I like all the sand variations. You should keep them all.
Nice to hear that you like them! But including them all isn't an option for me. If I only was making a few landscapetiles than it wouldn't be a problem. However there will be a lot more tiles coming, like transition pieces (grass to beach) and eyecandy stuff. If I include all the types of sand I drew, I have to incorporate that also into all the other pieces and that is a lot of drawingwork and coding. And I'm not willing to put in the time for things that I personally won't use.
I will however try to see what old tiles I still have (I may have deleted or drawn over some of them) and will post them later on. If you really like them you can always make a GRF then yourself.
Sun should be located around 4:30. Thus user-facing slopes slightly brighter than slopes down to the back. Right (Eastern) slopes the brightest, the left (Western) slopes the darkest.
Please correct me if I am wrong (I have been staring at the computerscreen for a while now and my eyes might be playing tricks on me), but isn't that what I did?

And a final screenie for today, grass to beach transition pieces and a little eyecandy beachhouse:
Beach34.png
Beach34.png (137.75 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote:
planetmaker wrote: Sun should be located around 4:30. Thus user-facing slopes slightly brighter than slopes down to the back. Right (Eastern) slopes the brightest, the left (Western) slopes the darkest.
Please correct me if I am wrong (I have been staring at the computerscreen for a while now and my eyes might be playing tricks on me), but isn't that what I did?
sunangle.png
sunangle.png (24.28 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”