zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:Wow, that is more sprites than I was expecting. I remember now that I only converted some of the GUI sprites to 32bpp as it ended upgiving a very inconsistent appearence having the GUI elements (windows, text, etc) in old 8bpp style and the icons as 32bpp. I think I would actually err towards removing all the 32bpp GUI elements for now!
Well, yes... not all need a 32bpp equivalent (especially the window decorations you mentioned), but it actually shows at the higher zoom levels for the GUI. And it makes a difference for the main toolbar. I could make a more detailed break-down as to which would be really nice-to-have.
If you like, I could remove all GUI elements from zBase for now, though and have it fall back to OpenGFX-style. But even there, the 2x and 4x zoom would be nice to have for the sprites.
Zephyris wrote:In terms of the canal sprite alignment that is just a matter of hard work and tweaking to get it all sorted. It should definitely done by altering the alignnments rather than the graphics though, to ensure that any updates to the blend file renders in the future can be easily transferred to in-game.
Definitely messing with the alignment would be first thing to do

Prepping OpenGFX and zBase for the OpenTTD 1.5 era is definitely on my list.
Zephyris wrote:I am still waiting for internet access at home in my new place (so much for German efficiency) but once I do I think I will take a look at some updates.
He, you moved over to the continent? Welcome :) Efficiency goes this way here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403aQFfSUpo And especially phone companies are notorious for their basically non-existing customer support.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zephyris wrote:Wow, that is more sprites than I was expecting. I remember now that I only converted some of the GUI sprites to 32bpp as it ended upgiving a very inconsistent appearence having the GUI elements (windows, text, etc) in old 8bpp style and the icons as 32bpp. I think I would actually err towards removing all the 32bpp GUI elements for now!
Personally on 24' 1080p screen I'm using Zbase with a GUI at 1.5X, 2X seems too big.
Zephyris wrote:In terms of the canal sprite alignment that is just a matter of hard work and tweaking to get it all sorted. It should definitely done by altering the alignnments rather than the graphics though, to ensure that any updates to the blend file renders in the future can be easily transferred to in-game.
Ok!
Zephyris wrote:I am not sure there is a better way to align the foundations, trying to make them look more 3D will always cause some alignment wierdness because it forces an optical illusion. The office block being completely misaligned is definitely my fault though :)
IMO I would drop the 3D effect, I looks weird, like in the road foundations screenshot.
Zephyris wrote:I am still waiting for internet access at home in my new place (so much for German efficiency) but once I do I think I will take a look at some updates.
Thanks for responding :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

planetmaker wrote:Prepping OpenGFX and zBase for the OpenTTD 1.5 era is definitely on my list.
What is the 1.5 era bringing?
planetmaker wrote:
He, you moved over to the continent? Welcome :) Efficiency goes this way here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403aQFfSUpo And especially phone companies are notorious for their basically non-existing customer support.
Yeah, been in Germany for about 1 month so far, and learning some basic german veeeery slowly! I am now regretting doing a full OS reinstall just before coming out though, I can't even do local commits because I didn't reinstall tortoise SVN :s At least I can play OpenTTD offline :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Prepping OpenGFX and zBase for the OpenTTD 1.5 era is definitely on my list.
What is the 1.5 era bringing?
Well, GUI zoom as a client-side setting (thus ogfx+biggui is now obsolete). Thus base sets preferentially provide the GUI sprites in 1x, 2x and 4x zoom level. And I want to give OpenGFX the same river sprites with horizontal and vertically flowing rivers which are already in OpenGFX+Landscape.
Zephyris wrote:
planetmaker wrote:
Yeah, been in Germany for about 1 month so far, and learning some basic german veeeery slowly! I am now regretting doing a full OS reinstall just before coming out though, I can't even do local commits because I didn't reinstall tortoise SVN :s At least I can play OpenTTD offline :)
tortoiseHG is quickly installed. But yeah... without internet access it's difficult to obtain :) But playing is a good thing, too. Gives more ideas to spend time on later :P
Attachments
Unnamed, 26th Jan 1987.png
Unnamed, 26th Jan 1987.png (139.05 KiB) Viewed 13454 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i hear you can get prepaid mobile internet sticks at certain supermarkets. it probably won't be fast, but better than no internet at all...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Eddi wrote:i hear you can get prepaid mobile internet sticks at certain supermarkets. it probably won't be fast, but better than no internet at all...
It will probably will be very expensive also. Don't you have a nice neighbour you can ask to share the connection until you have your own connection?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glynbd »

Nice to see it is not forgotton :)
Everyone i play with is using Zbase now, It just makes it feel smoother and compliments OpenTTD's new features.

Almost like a TT- 2 :D
Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glynbd »

Just noticed an update.
Any big changes?
Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for reply (below)
Last edited by Glynbd on 21 Apr 2015 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

No big changes really, but a number of bug fixes and some additions as required by OpenTTD 1.5.

* Fix: Various recolour maps were incorrectly using the W palette. Symlink them to OpenGFX, where they have already been fixed.
* Fix [FS#6258]: Do not crop the default-window-size icon.
* Add: Recolour sprite in extra grf as needed by OpenTTD since r26869
SagePtr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SagePtr »

Transparent arctic house sprite:
http://devs.openttd.org/~planetmaker/ti ... 0x1200.png
You can see them in top left corner on title screen (version 1.5.1)
In regular game, such transparent houses are spawned too (in snow areas).
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

looks more like a 32bpp bug in that graphic set
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Phreeze wrote:looks more like a 32bpp bug in that graphic set
Yes... and he reports it here right in that thread where it belongs.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

lol i thought i was in the general forum....must get more sleep ^^
lolliestick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lolliestick »

Is this project still alive?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

All sources are available, it builds out of the box.

If you want to fix things, yes please, submit fixes.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
gresthol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gresthol »

Hello, this project gives me an error on the hg repository

Code: Select all

~ hg clone http://hg.openttdcoop.org/zbase
~ abort: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
If you try to access http://hg.openttdcoop.org/zbase it gives you a 404 error
The same goes for zbase & zbasebuild repos
I want to check the code but I can't :cry:
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

It works for me so I would guess there was an issue with the server.

Code: Select all

$ hg clone http://hg.openttdcoop.org/zbase
real URL is https://hg.openttdcoop.org/zbase
destination directory: zbase
requesting all changes
^Cinterrupted!
gresthol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gresthol »

Well it seems solved, hope that this no happens again.
ajee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ajee »

Hi Z,

Thanks a lot for your hard work for zBase, super cool.
However, I tried to play toyland, and it seems "Teapot-House" is always wrapped in gift paper.
teapot.JPG
teapot.JPG (53.8 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
Is there a bug? Thanks in advance!

AJ
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ajee wrote: 04 Jan 2020 06:30 Hi Z,

Thanks a lot for your hard work for zBase, super cool.
However, I tried to play toyland, and it seems "Teapot-House" is always wrapped in gift paper.

teapot.JPG

Is there a bug? Thanks in advance!

AJ
Hm, interesting. I shall investigate when I find time. Thanks for the report!

Return to “Graphics Development”