Windows XP

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.
awaterhouse
Engineer
Engineer

Windows XP

Post by awaterhouse »

Hi,
How do I install TTDX - I have tried all sorts of tricks - with no luck whatsoever !

Cheers

Alun
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re:Windows XP

Post by orudge »

Transport Tycoon, both the DOS and Windows versions, will not run under Windows NT/2000/XP. I've tried under XP RC2 myself and I can get the DOS version as far as the introduction screens, but it crashes when trying to display the main menu. The Windows version complains about various errors, some of which you can get rid of, but you then get stuck again. :(
cyberist
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cyberist »

I have read somewhere else that it is posible. The only thing you have to do, is set the compatibility mode to windows 95.
Its starts here, only crashes with an error which says it can't find the cd. But I have hered about people getting past that.
I haven found out how yet dough :(
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Changing the compatibility mode makes no difference. :(
lwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lwood »

It's true that TTDX won't run under win XP
The best you'll get is a few minutes of the game and a crash

But XP has a cool feature that win2K hadn't : it allows you to create
a DOS boot disk (when formatting a floppy, check the corresponding box)

With this floppy you can boot under DOS and have access to FAT32 partitions. So you only have to install TTDX on a FAT 32 part.Then create the boot disk, leave it in the floppy drive, reboot and launch TTDX.
You'll also need a DOS mouse driver.

It worked perfectly for me, eccept I don't have sound because my sound card is a SB PCI 128 and XP drivers don't include DOS support (which is logical)

But I think I've found a way to make sound work

more on this later...

NB: I know there's nothing new about this DOS boot disk trick, except the fact that XP makes it really simple to create such a disk, which win2K didn't...and I remember spending a lot of time founding a suitable boot disk when I was under 2K...the XP default boot disk is perfect

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”