Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:
Speaking of train sets... any chance of a typical Dutch railroad crossing, or should that be something for a roadset?

FooBar wrote:
Railroad crossings are part of track sets. So if we're doing a complementary (to the trainset) track set then we can have those. However we can add some level crossing sprites to the trainset for the case no track set is loaded.

Purno wrote:
Hm, I guess we could do a Dutch Rail Furniture set including Catenary, Signals and the Level Crossings perhaps?

Since it'd be silly to make a Dutch track set just for the level crossings, and placing Dutch level crossings in a Generic or European track set makes no sense either.

FooBar wrote:
That's quite the good idea you have there! I'm all for that. :D

So, here we are.

Dutch Rail Furniture
DevZone: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/dutchrailfurniture

The set is intended to include at least;
  • The Dutch Catenary
  • The Dutch Signals
  • A brand new Dutch level crossing

And suggestions are welcome. Note that there's already a Dutch Stationset, a Dutch trainset and a Dutch Road Furniture set, so we won't add stations, trains and road furniture in this one :mrgreen:

Since the Catenary is also popular amongst non-Dutchies, it's probably a good idea to have the option to use the Catenary without the signals and level crossing.

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:19 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Waypoints? Any additions to a bridge set with famous Dutch bridges?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Waypoints should IMO be part of a stations set, but that's debatable.
But what I would like to see as waypoints are these yellow and green triangular signs that indicate an increase or decrease in speed limit. That would be nice combined with the new OpenTTD feature that allows to speed limits with orders.

Bridges are a bit tricky, as road and rail bridges cannot be separated. Also, NML doesn't support bridges yet. So I'd say bridges is something for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:
The set is intended to include at least;
  • The Dutch Catenary
  • The Dutch Signals
  • A brand new Dutch level crossing

And suggestions are welcome. Note that there's already a Dutch Stationset, a Dutch trainset and a Dutch Road Furniture set, so we won't add stations, trains and road furniture in this one :mrgreen:

Since the Catenary is also popular amongst non-Dutchies, it's probably a good idea to have the option to use the Catenary without the signals and level crossing.

Maybe a parameter setting for each? I personally find the Dutch signals a bit unclear in OpenTTD, visibility is not that great when looking from the back/sides, but I would be very interested in the level crossings and catenary.

Maybe also include some fences? I know OpenTTD can only have one fence set loaded at a time, but it would be nice to have the possibility to have some Dutch fences along the railroad.

Small off topic: And what about a Dutch Building/Object set?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Yes, there will be parameters to disable each part individually.

I can already see the headline: "Dutch to take over the world of OpenTTD" :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:04 pm 
Director
Director

FooBar wrote:
Waypoints should IMO be part of a stations set, but that's debatable.
But what I would like to see as waypoints are these yellow and green triangular signs that indicate an increase or decrease in speed limit. That would be nice combined with the new OpenTTD feature that allows to speed limits with orders.

Bridges are a bit tricky, as road and rail bridges cannot be separated. Also, NML doesn't support bridges yet. So I'd say bridges is something for the future.

Like the idea of speed signs. Maybe in combination with relais boxes.

Just like in this picture, funny I found a picture with exact the way i think the sprites must look like. (except the graffity
Rotterdam, 21-07-2010 by Mcn_Martijn, on Flickr

Edit: I don't see a reason why stations aren't include din this set?

A idea just came to my mind. Add dutch looking railway tunnels as well, i know they are hard to find...
But something concrete like this will do i think, older railway tunnel the "velser tunnel" may be an example.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Nice!! And not only for what may come in this set, but also that it combines the dutch catenary and signals, one more free spot in my GRF list! 8)

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:58 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I've tried some quick work on a level crossing, but how do I need to temple these sprites?

Also, is it possible to have two different types of level crossings? Either time-dependant or track-dependant?

Attachments:
overweg.png
overweg.png [ 6.07 KiB | Viewed 9492 times ]

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Looking good! May I suggest adding a level crossing sort of thing for stations as well? Just like ISR has, it's not actually usable but it's nice to look at and could be made for central platforms (inbetween the tracks), such as here (Vlaardingen Centrum): http://www.groenlinks.vlaardingen.nl/im ... ks_103.jpg

Couldn't really find a better photo lol, fortunatly we have Google Maps: http://g.co/maps/phs2n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sure, but that would belong in the station set, wouldn't it? :)

EDIT: And I don't know if we can make level crossings operational on station tiles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:
Also, is it possible to have two different types of level crossings? Either time-dependant or track-dependant?

each tracktype can have its own level crossing, and you can additionally check the town zone (paved/unpaved) for further variation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:44 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Different graphics: as we're doing simple ActionA replacement here, we can only have different graphics in town and outside town (i.e. with pavement or without pavement).

As for the templating this means that we need to make sprites with the road tiles underneath. Ideally the sprites should be templated so that they can be pasted on top of any road tile. Working with layers in a graphics editor will help significantly with that.

As for a station with level crossings it's possible to detect if a train has reserved the tile. So it will work in a station with path signals. Basically the same behaviour as in some of the stations in ISR, with a shed on top of the track which opens the doors automatically.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

FooBar wrote:
As for a station with level crossings it's possible to detect if a train has reserved the tile. So it will work in a station with path signals.

in OpenTTD, a train (almost) always reserves the trackbits it is currently on, even without path signals, so the effect might work there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:35 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

FooBar wrote:
Different graphics: as we're doing simple ActionA replacement here, we can only have different graphics in town and outside town (i.e. with pavement or without pavement).

Why do we use this "simple ActionA" if Eddi knows a way to have different graphics per tracktype?

Quote:
As for the templating this means that we need to make sprites with the road tiles underneath. Ideally the sprites should be templated so that they can be pasted on top of any road tile. Working with layers in a graphics editor will help significantly with that.

Hmpf, layers...
Will attached imagine suffice? If so, any chance you could do a quick simple ActionA replacement so I can see if the animation turns out well ingame? :mrgreen:

Attachments:
overweg.png [29.86 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:00 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

FooBar wrote:
As for a station with level crossings it's possible to detect if a train has reserved the tile. So it will work in a station with path signals. Basically the same behaviour as in some of the stations in ISR, with a shed on top of the track which opens the doors automatically.

Hey, that's very nice to know! :) I'll do just that in Finnish Infrastructure and Stations Set, that will be very nice feature. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:

NuTracks has different crossings depending on what track is used, so yes you can have different crossings track-dependant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:
Why do we use this "simple ActionA" if Eddi knows a way to have different graphics per tracktype?

What Eddi suggests only works for railtypes, so that must be included in a railtype grf.
It may be worth seeing if I can modify the original railtypes this way.
Either way, "simple ActionA" makes it static-compatible, so you can put this grf as static and have it applied to all games automatically, even savegames.

Purno wrote:
Will attached imagine suffice?

Yes, that will do fine. I can easily do the layers bit from this :)
Thanks! I'll put a link in the issue tracker so we can easily find this back whenever I can start coding this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I understand that everybody going to tell Purno, "WHERE"S THE DOWNLOAD!!!".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

roadsignordeals wrote:
I understand that everybody going to tell Purno, "WHERE"S THE DOWNLOAD!!!".

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder.

Though I guess we kinda need to make a download first :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

most of the netherlands have both-way beams (blocking both lanes with either 2 beams or 1 beam stretching both)

security reasons...

any chance that works in ottd as well?