Motivation after years of playing

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Motivation after years of playing

Post by gogo214 »

hey guys,

I have been playing ottd for many years now tried different grf, climates, ai-s. I even made a couple of scenarios. This game is awesome I even have it on my mobile phone. This game is too great for me to stop playing but I just feel theres nothing more to be played.

Do you ever feel like it? Do you have any suggestions to make the game attractive again.

I wanted to post screenshot of my last game but it was 90 MB which I guess nobody will bother do download. Maybe I will post it later in case anyone wants to see it.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Motivation after years of playing

Post by FooBar »

I tend to make NewGRFs when I don't feel like playing :P

But you can set yourself different challenges:
- very mountainous terrain, and then build with the terrain, terraforming as little as possible
- use a base cost grf to make things more expensive
- enable inflation together with ukrs2, start the game in 1850 or something: in later years it will get very difficult to make a profit due to inflation
- try one of the cargo destination patches: cargodist or yacd
just to name a few :)
gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gogo214 »

yeah I've tried all of that already I've been playing this game for over 10 years now. I finished a scenario that I have created and I've been playing it for past 4 months and now that there's nothing more to build there I just feel like this game has nothing left to offer and thats just disappointing
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

(in 1.2 or recent nightly) Play with the game script "neighbours are important" and select a town to grow. You will then need to supply an increasing amount of cargo each month for it to continue to grow.

Another game script will allow you to become the dominator of a town. Play against a few AIs and try to become the top dominator.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

gogo214 wrote:yeah I've tried all of that already I've been playing this game for over 10 years now. I finished a scenario that I have created and I've been playing it for past 4 months and now that there's nothing more to build there I just feel like this game has nothing left to offer and thats just disappointing
Yeah, it's a little frustrating when we work on a savegame for like 6 months (what I've been doing lately) and it comes to a point where there isn't really much to do.. No new vehicles or tracks to replace, almost no space to build new stuff and already over 150 years have passed...

But do this, create a new game with GRF you never used and update the ones you use, there's already that vehicle that you never had or feature..

For example in this savegame I used HEQS 1.3.0, now the available last version has more trams that could changed my last game years and that I missed a lot...

I keep challenging me to do better than the last time, like more money, more vehicles, more profit, better landscape organization, etc...
gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gogo214 »

Digitalfox wrote:
gogo214 wrote:yeah I've tried all of that already I've been playing this game for over 10 years now. I finished a scenario that I have created and I've been playing it for past 4 months and now that there's nothing more to build there I just feel like this game has nothing left to offer and thats just disappointing
Yeah, it's a little frustrating when we work on a savegame for like 6 months (what I've been doing lately) and it comes to a point where there isn't really much to do.. No new vehicles or tracks to replace, almost no space to build new stuff and already over 150 years have passed...

But do this, create a new game with GRF you never used and update the ones you use, there's already that vehicle that you never had or feature..

For example in this savegame I used HEQS 1.3.0, now the available last version has more trams that could changed my last game years and that I missed a lot...

I keep challenging me to do better than the last time, like more money, more vehicles, more profit, better landscape organization, etc...

Yeah I pretty much did all of the mentioned above. Every game I finished I always made the next one a harder and on a larger map. For the past 6 months I've spent like 3-4 hours each day improving my company. Every little detail. Past couple of days I realized theres nothing left to do and I wanted to start a new game. I just feel like there are no more challenges or goals.
gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gogo214 »

FooBar wrote:I tend to make NewGRFs when I don't feel like playing :P

But you can set yourself different challenges:
- very mountainous terrain, and then build with the terrain, terraforming as little as possible
- use a base cost grf to make things more expensive
- enable inflation together with ukrs2, start the game in 1850 or something: in later years it will get very difficult to make a profit due to inflation
- try one of the cargo destination patches: cargodist or yacd
just to name a few :)

and thank you for your help a couple of months ago on how to install ottd on my n8. last time I was on a 10 hour train journey I spent the whole time playing ottd :)
gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gogo214 »

Zuu wrote:(in 1.2 or recent nightly) Play with the game script "neighbours are important" and select a town to grow. You will then need to supply an increasing amount of cargo each month for it to continue to grow.

Another game script will allow you to become the dominator of a town. Play against a few AIs and try to become the top dominator.

thanks for advice I might give it a try
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Have you played MP games, eg at openttdcoop.org, where they build these crazy (in a good way) rail designs?

In general, I think most users either quit playing and start doing some other game after they 'finished', or they start working on something around the game, make graphics, make NewGRFs, make AIs, make Game scripts, write patches, help users at the forum, improve the wiki, do translations, etc etc.
gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gogo214 »

Alberth wrote:Have you played MP games, eg at openttdcoop.org, where they build these crazy (in a good way) rail designs?

In general, I think most users either quit playing and start doing some other game after they 'finished', or they start working on something around the game, make graphics, make NewGRFs, make AIs, make Game scripts, write patches, help users at the forum, improve the wiki, do translations, etc etc.

I havent played MP that much thats true but mostly because I like to be in charge of the whole map.
And I am not familiar with making graphics or NewGRFs at all so I would leave that to the pros.

I guess I will just have a break from this game and maybe I will come back to play it again some time in future.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

gogo214 wrote:I havent played MP that much thats true but mostly because I like to be in charge of the whole map.
Hmm, yeah, in co-op you have to let your fellow players have a piece of the map too :)
gogo214 wrote:And I am not familiar with making graphics or NewGRFs at all so I would leave that to the pros.
And how do you think they became a pro? :D

Until last weekend, I have been doing software only.
However, I want to do some graphics, but I have zero experience with it. I want to do it anyway, so I decided to start learning Blender last weekend. So far, I have seen a few tutorials, and played a bit with it. Saturday, I got nowhere. Sunday, I managed to make some small parts before messing up the gui completely in an attempt to switch from render-mode back to modeling-mode (I am quite sure there is a simple button for it, but I have not found it yet).
In short, I suck at using Blender at the moment, have no results (and I don't really expect some in the near future), but it's a great ride. I hope I understand Blender one day, and make graphics. Perhaps even of acceptable quality. We will see :)

In the end, this is what it is all about I think. Having a great time doing something you enjoy. Whether or not you are any good does not matter. Just bring some enthousiasm with you. If you want feedback on stuff or have a problem you don't understand, post a message and I am sure 'the pros' will return useful comments. They are here for the same reason, enjoy doing the stuff they like doing.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

In the world of openttdcoop, there is always something to be played. OpenTTD is a game of so many possibilities ;)
ImageImageImage
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Of course, if you start dev-ing the game you find that you stop playing the game anyway. I think you will find most of the devs, and me, have not actually 'played' the game for any length of (game) time, for a long while now

Oh, and if you start playing in the ottdcoop style, you will never build anything aesthetically again ;)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Or you could become a traffic engineer to get paid to solve interesting traffic problems. Althougt, then you will need to use something else than OpenTTD. :)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

When I got to the point where you are at now I joined #openttdcoop and I got enough to do for a couple of years. #openttdcoop was far less advanced back then as it is now though so a lot of the learning, discovering and experimenting has been taken out of it. There are still plenty more techniques to invent though so do come join us :)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “General OpenTTD”