Airports and AIs.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Airports and AIs.

Post by mauried »

Playing a game against 10 AIs and I find that if I try and build an airport in a town where
one of the AIs already has an airport, I get the message that this town wont allow any more airports.
Doesnt matter what my rating with the town is.
But , if another of the AIs wants to build an airport in the town , they are allowed too, so eventually
the towns end up with multiple airports owned by the various AIs .
In some cases the same AI builds multiple airports in the same town.
Is this a bug , or is this the way the game is designed to work.
I cant find any options in the difficulty settings or advanced settings that covers this.
There is an option to allow airports where noise concerns are an issue, but this isnt the problem Im seeing.
Its a bit unfair if the AIs have no restrictions on airport numbers, but the player does.
thanks
Brumi
President
President

Re: Airports and AIs.

Post by Brumi »

The AIs have the same restrictions as you.
If airport noise limits are enabled, the town will get less noise if you build the airport farther away from the town, so if an airport's noise level is 5, it is still possible to place it in a town where the limit is 4, just place it a bit farther away.
Generally the AIs are faster to realise that a town allows building a new airport, so it's only an illusion that they can build where you can't.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks for responding, but you havnt understood my question.
The option to allow town controlled noise levels for airports is turned off, and the towns arnt stopping me
building airports because of noise levels.
The town simply states that no more airports can be built in this town, but makes no mention of noise concerns.
Ive played the game with the noise option enabled and am aware of the restrictions it applies to both me and the AIs.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

mauried wrote:Thanks for responding, but you havnt understood my question.
The option to allow town controlled noise levels for airports is turned off, and the towns arnt stopping me
The town simply states that no more airports can be built in this town, but makes no mention of noise concerns.
Ive played the game with the noise option enabled and am aware of the restrictions it applies to both me and the AIs.
It is either with noise levels or a fixed number of airports in towns (2 per town if I recall correctly, but I'm not sure how Helipads are counted).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

mauried wrote:Thanks for responding, but you havnt understood my question.
If you have the noise-level control option turned OFF, then you are limited to only two airports per city, period.

If you want to build airports without any restrictions, then see the link in my signature... :wink:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If towns are close, an airport that you think belongs to one town might actually belong to another.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Still not quite understanding.
If the game has 10 AIs playing, does this mean that a town can have only 2 airports in total
regardless of who builds them, or can each AI have an airport, thus making a total of 11 airports per town.
One for each AI player, and one for the human player.
What I am seeing is towns where AIs have built airports, sometimes 1 each making a total of more than 2 per town
but I the player cant build any.
I can build an airport in any town provided that there are no AI airports there .
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If noise is off, only two airports per airport is allowed.

If you still think you've seen something else, please provide a save game that proves something different. If you are correct, that's a bug.

It's not that I don't believe you but more that this discussion is not going anywhere as it is now with words going back and forth. A savegame would be much easier to examine and see what is happening.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Zuu wrote:If noise is off, only two airports per airport is allowed.
That's per town rather than per airport :)

An AI plays by the exact same rules as you do, that is, an AI is considered to be player, there is no difference from game perspective (technically there are lots of differences, but that is another matter). If you find a difference, that's a bug (but you have to provide proof of it by means of a savegame where an AI can do something you cannot).

The precise rules wrt airports have been stated several times already, so I won't repeat them.

What you consider as 'unfair' perhaps is just the fact that AIs are much more systematically, ie they try to build an airport many more times than you do (for example try all large-enough towns every month), so if a town allows it, there is a large chance that they find that option faster than you.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm willing to bet that the airports are being built just outside of the city limits. You can determine this by using the query (?) tool, click on a tile and see if it states that it's owned by the city.

Return to “General OpenTTD”