[OTTD] Valle's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[OTTD] Valle's Screenshots

Post by Valle »

Hello Everyone,

Some of you might remember the two screenshots I posted in the Random Screenshots thread a while (page 27) ago - I finally decided to create my own screenshot thread. Here I'll continuously post screenshots of my games that I usually run as multiplayer games with a few friends in OTTD CargoDist with as many NewGRFs as technically possible.

The current game is a 2048x64 game used by 3 players in total (including alluke, another member of this forum) with a special focus (well, at least my personal one) on developing a cross-map main line with a few branches and a high-speed railway. It's quite old already (and pretty saturated), having started roughly 500 in-game years ago from an automatically generated map using French town names. A total of three companies are active:

1) Azurian Railways: operator of the intercontinental airports at Cognac and St. Flour and the railway network
2) STT (75% owned by Azurian Railways): low-cost carrier for passengers using buses, ferries and mid-size aircraft, and generic cargo company using road vehicles and ships. Operator of the St. Flour Metro and two freight trains on a short, isolated railway.
3) Silly Line (75% owned by Azurian Railways): small cargo company operating 11 trucks, 23 industrial trams and 3 freighters, but also 5 passenger ferries in the Toulon area.

I'll start with the technical stuff - a map overview and the GRF list - and will then show you where everything began in this first post. Further pics (partially showing the development) of the main line itself will be added in a couple of hours.
Of course, comments, criticism and suggestions are welcome. :D
Attachments
LargeMap.png
Here's the overview for the map in its current state.
(386.56 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
A list of the NewGRFs used in this game. You may notice the obsolete Canadian Train Set, which I am continuing to use to allow trains to be built from mixed sets.
A list of the NewGRFs used in this game. You may notice the obsolete Canadian Train Set, which I am continuing to use to allow trains to be built from mixed sets.
GRFlist.png (47.98 KiB) Viewed 6307 times
Cognac Station.png
Cognac is the place where it all began. Located in the south of the map, it's the terminus to both the main line and the high speed line. Its main station / airport area was rebuilt about 100 years ago to free up some land that the city had grown around - the station building and the forecourt used to be the location of the intercontinental airport, which was moved to the hill that the high speed line plows through. A tram connection operating Bombardier Flexitys has been established to visually connect it to the station. The new airport has taken over the name, codes and duties from the old one (similarly as when Kai Tak Airport was closed, except with a way smaller geographic difference between the old and new airport), and hence technically continues to be a part of the railway terminus.

Additionally, Cognac has a small railyard next to the main station, where some surplus trains (or just locomotives) are stored.
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by Valle on 08 Jan 2012 15:31, edited 3 times in total.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Valle's Screenshots

Post by Katve »

Pretty different style map than "normal" screenshots. Waiting for the more shots! Good job.
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Thank you, Katve.

Leaving Cognac, the main line runs along a bay at a relatively high level, entering the first station, Alençon, at a higher level than most of the rest of the town. Just after the station, a short unelectrified branch line through the town of Alençon towards the bay and an abattoir in the outskirts of Cognac begins. The small airport in Alençon, operated by low-cost carrier STT, sits in a site where a cement factory was previously located. Economic problems forced it to close 100 ago, but most of the tracks, including those to bayside Cognac where a construction industry / hardware store had been supplied, had remained. Azurian Railways took the opportunity of a growing demand for public transport along the Bay of Alençon and revived the old, unused tracks to create a light rail system operating four Stadler GTWs. Due to the fact that there is a nearby abattoir, a cattle farm is now located directly next to the airport of Alençon.

Heading north from Alençon, the slight descent to the cities of Digne and Guéret begins.
Attachments
Alençon.png
A view of Alençon with some of the light rail system and a fish train rolling through towards the abattoir.
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Cognac-Alençon Light Rail.png
The light rail system in the Bay of Alençon, also showing a spanish cattle train launching from the farm at Alençon.
(656.01 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
The Sindacco Abattoir in the outskirts of Cognac with a train from Guéret, unloading fish. The name of the abattoir might ring a bell for you if you played GTA San Andreas in the past.
The Sindacco Abattoir in the outskirts of Cognac with a train from Guéret, unloading fish. The name of the abattoir might ring a bell for you if you played GTA San Andreas in the past.
Cognac Sindacco.png (199.08 KiB) Viewed 17565 times
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Originally being two rather small towns, Digne and Guéret have shown a considerable amount of growth over the past 500 years and grew into one major urbanized area of roughly 115,000 inhabitants (counting in the smaller town of Cannes) now.
Attachments
Digne.png
At present, Digne has a scheduled tram service to connect the stations of the main line ("Digne Gare de Cognac") and of the high speed line ("Digne Place du Paradis") to each other quickly. The 'Super View Special', a sightseeing train consisting of a JR 251 Series EMU, is loading on Track 6 on its way to Cognac next to a regional mail train. An Intercity to Toulon, pulled by a Class 55 'Deltic' is entering on Track 3.
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Guéret.png
Just like Digne, Guéret has a six-track station for passenger trains on the main line, but additionally, there's a freight loading rail down at the docks - fish is transferred to the trains here from the fishing ships. A fish train pulled by a regauged JR DF200 is starting its journey to the Cognac abattoir/cannery right now, while the passenger station is used by a couple of regional trains in this picture.
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Time appears to be standing still at Nîmes - partially because the mayor isn't said to be a major fan of modernisation. It's still a small village with crosswalks to the different platforms. EC 126 'Pablo Picasso' bound for Cognac is passing through on Track 4, the tracks that used to lead to a small lime quarry still partially exist.
Time appears to be standing still at Nîmes - partially because the mayor isn't said to be a major fan of modernisation. It's still a small village with crosswalks to the different platforms. EC 126 'Pablo Picasso' bound for Cognac is passing through on Track 4, the tracks that used to lead to a small lime quarry still partially exist.
Nîmes.png (317.17 KiB) Viewed 17530 times
kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

I very much like these screenshots!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks very nice indeed :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
CrossSide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CrossSide »

Different, I like it! Looks like the map is almost full? I'm curious what comes next!
Seeker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Seeker »

Like the screenshots and i do like that bridge at the top of Guéret that allows taller ships under :) Sometime I wish it was possible to have a lifting bridge like Tower Bridge London in game to act like a level crossing.
TT-Screenshot Of The Month - December 2013 (Winner)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

What station set are you using to make the station in the north west of Alençon?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Leanden wrote:What station set are you using to make the station in the north west of Alençon?
I think its one of the stations in MTSS.
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Thank you everyone. :D The game is in its closing stages, but I'll post up the pictures piled up during the past 100 years that I deem worth posting.

@Leanden: A321Pilot is right - that station is a part of MTSS (Modern Train Station Set). It's the Jena Paradise Plaza station.

On to the next lot!
Attachments
Our next stop is Sète, the beginning of the longest ramp of the whole map, all the way to just after Bergerac. Just like at Nîmes, the station is relatively small, but it was refurbished more recently. An SJ Rc1 on a long-range regional service to Cognac is loading on Track 3.
Our next stop is Sète, the beginning of the longest ramp of the whole map, all the way to just after Bergerac. Just like at Nîmes, the station is relatively small, but it was refurbished more recently. An SJ Rc1 on a long-range regional service to Cognac is loading on Track 3.
Sete City.png (989.5 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
About halfway up the ramp to Bergerac, a short industrial branch line leaves the main line. It connects a sand pit to the network. A NSB Di.8 pulling (regauged) Spanish rolling stock is loading. The electrified tracks you see in the foreground are those of the high speed railway line.
About halfway up the ramp to Bergerac, a short industrial branch line leaves the main line. It connects a sand pit to the network. A NSB Di.8 pulling (regauged) Spanish rolling stock is loading. The electrified tracks you see in the foreground are those of the high speed railway line.
Sete Sandpit.png (349.72 KiB) Viewed 17241 times
The town of Bergerac marks the peak of the network. Sand trains from the sand pit at Sète have to work hard up to this point (400-450 m above the Sete station according to OTTD) and usually pass through the station at roughly 75-85 km/h
The town of Bergerac marks the peak of the network. Sand trains from the sand pit at Sète have to work hard up to this point (400-450 m above the Sete station according to OTTD) and usually pass through the station at roughly 75-85 km/h
Bergerac.png (673.85 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

...and another one!
Attachments
Ludmilla Mail transfer.png
The following section to Nevers doesn't cover terribly much vertical difference - but its route along the edge of the hill makes it one of the most spectacular sections of the entire main line.

New trains come and go with the demands that are had in them. The regional train renovation program rendered this large rake of mail cars and five passenger cars from the Cognac area unemployed - they're shown being transferred to the main railyard by a DB Class 232 "Ludmilla" while an ET-30 travelling in the opposite direction is working one of its last commuter services between Marseille and Bergerac.
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
The station of Nevers, with an empty sand train pulled by another Di.8 cruising through on Track 2.
The station of Nevers, with an empty sand train pulled by another Di.8 cruising through on Track 2.
Nevers small.png (281.97 KiB) Viewed 17225 times
Nevers and Marseille are close neighbors - the considerable vertical difference meant that a detour would have to be constructed to ensure a safer operation of this particular section.
Nevers and Marseille are close neighbors - the considerable vertical difference meant that a detour would have to be constructed to ensure a safer operation of this particular section.
Marseille to Nevers.png (711.3 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Last edited by Valle on 12 Jan 2012 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Here comes the last purely geographic post before we reach the main railyard.
Attachments
Marseille.png
Starting at Marseille, the main line remains largely flat for a considerable distance. Just like at Digne, the high speed line has a completely separate station, which is linked to the main station by a scheduled tram service.
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
EC 126 is on its return trip again, passing a new regional train consisting of a DB Class 112 and a bunch of DB Regio double deckers at Valence.
EC 126 is on its return trip again, passing a new regional train consisting of a DB Class 112 and a bunch of DB Regio double deckers at Valence.
valence small.png (480.52 KiB) Viewed 17218 times
EC 126 must enjoy being photographed. It has just passed the station of the small town of Chaumont. The branch rail at the northern station entry leads to what is a classic Point Of Interest for every rail fan.
EC 126 must enjoy being photographed. It has just passed the station of the small town of Chaumont. The branch rail at the northern station entry leads to what is a classic Point Of Interest for every rail fan.
Chaumont small.png (523.31 KiB) Viewed 17218 times
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Nice Shots
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Thank you very much, A321Pilot!

Here we are: we have reached the Chateauroux Railyard. Located in the outskirts of the city hosting one of only two pass-through stations to be used by both the main and high speed line, this is the place where almost every surplus locomotive or railway carriage of the whole network (apart from the Cognac region) is stored for possible re-use or for spares.
Attachments
Chateauroux Train Yard-new.png
This is the local Mekka for all railfans living on this map. The "Chateauroux Train Graveyard" as it was hysterically called by its designer and main operator, alluke, is home to the entire retired fleet of ET-30 and BDVmot EMUs, a large number of 2cc Mk IV mail cars, almost all SBB RABDe 12/12 "Mirage" and VR Class Sm2 EMUs and a variety of other surplus locomotives, railcars, multiple units and carriages.

The list at the top of the picture documents the vehicles wrecked during shunting operations since the creation of this railyard.
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Châteauroux.png
The colossal Chateauroux railway station is one of only two stations between Cognac and Nice to host both the main and high speed line. And guess what: EC 126 is in the picture once again!
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Nice pics, I like your style of play.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
PinkMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PinkMoon »

Like the screenshots ! The trainyard is very nice :D
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like them. :) After the break I had to take due to my semester exams, I'm back now, and ready to post the remaining screenshots of the game. I'm no longer able to launch CargoDist g4dd2678f, so I'm rather happy I collected the screenies required beforehand. ;) Moving on to Le Mans via Chambéry and Orleans now!
Attachments
Chambéry.png
I have no pictures of the colossal ore mining area between Chateauroux and Chambéry unfortunately, so we're just cruising along the main line further. A DB Class E50 is thundering through the station of Chambéry with a fully loaded ore bomber.
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
between Orléans and Le Mans, the main line and high speed railway line run adjacent. While a regional service, yet again consisting of a "racer-Trabi" and double deckers, is entering the station of Orléans behind the ore bomber, a "slow" high speed train serving all of the stations along its line, a quadruple RENFE Alvia unit, flies past at 250 km/h.
between Orléans and Le Mans, the main line and high speed railway line run adjacent. While a regional service, yet again consisting of a "racer-Trabi" and double deckers, is entering the station of Orléans behind the ore bomber, a "slow" high speed train serving all of the stations along its line, a quadruple RENFE Alvia unit, flies past at 250 km/h.
Orléans.png (540.74 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
The station of Le Mans, unfortunately not displaying the final evolution of that area. An empty ore train pulled by a pair of Vossloh G1206's is cruising through the station while the "hillbilly-express" enters from the branch line to Bayonne. Since the introduction of that train, the towns of St Malo and Bayonne have shown an enormous level of growth, rendering this line and train more of an obsolete combination that doesn't meet the demands of the area anymore.
The station of Le Mans, unfortunately not displaying the final evolution of that area. An empty ore train pulled by a pair of Vossloh G1206's is cruising through the station while the "hillbilly-express" enters from the branch line to Bayonne. Since the introduction of that train, the towns of St Malo and Bayonne have shown an enormous level of growth, rendering this line and train more of an obsolete combination that doesn't meet the demands of the area anymore.
Le Mans.png (373.81 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Last edited by Valle on 19 Feb 2012 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

La Rochelle - Aubusson - Montpellier
Attachments
La Rochelle.png
The huge city that La Rochelle has become. The branch line operated with a train consisting of SJ Y6 railcars became insufficient for the demands long ago and has been complemented by buses since. A short distance coal train pulled by a DB Class V100 is cruising through, heading for the steel mill at Montpellier. This picture is also obsolete - the line between Le Mans and Montpellier was quadtracked.
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
The city of Aubusson has a relatively small railway station, which, however, is highly frequented.
The city of Aubusson has a relatively small railway station, which, however, is highly frequented.
Aubusson.png (408.4 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Montpellier Steel Works.png
The steel mill at Montpellier, with a steel train pulled by a pair of SJ Class Da's leaving the station.
(842.02 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Montpellier - Agincourt
Attachments
The passenger station of Montpellier - featuring a fictionally regauged JR Sunrise Express EMU and a large coal train pulled by a pair of HZ 1141s that were surplus when this type was withdrawn from regional mail service in favor of the ÖBB 1044.
The passenger station of Montpellier - featuring a fictionally regauged JR Sunrise Express EMU and a large coal train pulled by a pair of HZ 1141s that were surplus when this type was withdrawn from regional mail service in favor of the ÖBB 1044.
Montpellier SunriseEx.png (433.89 KiB) Viewed 16657 times
Agincourt Refinery.png
The refinery of Agincourt is serviced by two companies - STT's El 14 visible near the waterfront is running on a completely separate line through a tunnel beneath Agincourt to a harbor in Châlons.
(925.44 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Agincourt.png
The city of Agincourt. To manage the vertical difference, the railway line runs everything but direct here. An exception, of course, is the high speed line that also has a station here.
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Valle on 19 Feb 2012 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Screenshots”