Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Destron
Engineer
Engineer

Exclusive Transport Rights

Post by Destron »

Hi!

I was playing around with the game tonight and my AI player had 2 airports with 1 plane going back and forth between two towns. So for the fun of it, I decided to buy exclusive transports rights for a year and see how it works.

I found one issue, when I paid the money, both airports had over 2,000 passengers waiting and hundreds of bags of mail. After buying the rights, people stopped accruing at the station, but the people already there stayed there. Since the plane was a small 100 passenger plane, and the towns were so far apart the airplane still had passengers to transport both ways for the entire year of exclusivity, so basically I paid over $7,000,000 (it was about $3,500,000 per town) for nothing and wasted that money, and at the end of the year the plane made about the same amount of money it would have otherwise.

I think when you pay for exclusive right, it should clear all waiting people and cargo out of all competing stations in that town.

This is not an option I would likely ever use anyway, just thought it would be interesting to check it out, but in its current implementation it seems almost useless.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Exclusive Transport Rights

Post by planetmaker »

Destron wrote: I think when you pay for exclusive right, it should clear all waiting people and cargo out of all competing stations in that town.
I'm afraid, that's exactly what should not happen. You paid for the fact, that no passengers (or other cargo in the town's vicinity) is transported to the stations of competitors - not for a police raid which seizes all cargo which is in transit through that area by other players. The latter would exactly be the fact to clear all stations as they can be used as transit stations via 'transfer' orders for cargo from far-away.

Also, if a player has cargo waiting for more than a year, his services have much room for improvement and misses out on much of the profit s/he could make from that station.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Think of it in real-life terms. When passengers buy a ticket on a plane, or a company ships cargo using a particular carrier, there is a contract that is created that the carrier must fulfill. If a city were to set up an exclusive transport right, it wouldn't be able to cancel any existing contracts. It could bar all future contracts, but existing ones must be fulfilled.

Unless you live in Soviet Russia. Then again, in Soviet Russia, you don't cancel the contract, the contract cancels YOU!!! (Good grief, that joke never gets old!!) :mrgreen:
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:Unless you live in Soviet Russia. Then again, in Soviet Russia, you don't cancel the contract, the contract cancels YOU!!! (Good grief, that joke never gets old!!) :mrgreen:
:roll:

In Soviet Russia, post quotes YOU!
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

In Soviet Russia, post quotes YOU! wrote:Supercheese

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”