Sound problems, XP/2000. Quick fix?

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Kordasn
Engineer
Engineer

Sound problems, XP/2000. Quick fix?

Post by Kordasn »

I've been playing the TTDLX for a while now on one XP computer, which I do not have the spec.s here for, but they are not needed. The sound works alright there. I recently tried to use it on a 2000 laptop, (spec.s not available), and the sound would not work.
However, my best attempt has been on this computer, another XP computer. And I still cannot get the sound to work.

I have tried various versions of TTD patch, from 1.8 through to the newest version. Re-installing, erasing. Editing configurations, downloading them from the message board here. I can't seem to get it working.

I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something? (Yes, I've tried all sound modes on all 'compatibility' settings.)

I've attached the system information, maybe it will help resolve the problem. If there's more information needed, please ask, e-mail, or post, I will be watching. If there is no solution, or it's too complicated, don't worry about it, it's not big deal. Thanks in advance/for your time in reading this post.

Also, the cfg file I'm using right now is the default for the newest version of the patch.
-Matt

Edit: Last line before -Matt.
Attachments
sysinfo.txt
System info, as generated by systeminfo.
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
DxDiag.txt
DirectX Dialogue, maybe this helps with some information.
(47.11 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
=/
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Have you made sure that the 'Wave' channel in the Volume properties is un-muted?

To check double-click on the volume icon in the system tray. Then check that the mute check box is unchecked (see attached picture for screenshot). If you don't have the Wave channel listed, add it in the Options -> Properties dialogue.
Attachments
volume.png
volume.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Kordasn
Engineer
Engineer

Yup, that has been checked.

Post by Kordasn »

Well, I would feel pretty silly if I hadn't checked that. However, unfortunatly, I have checked it. And it is not muted. I wish it was though, that would be a lovely fix.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will be able to post the information on the W2K computer later today, it's a laptop; Are the inherant problems with laptops. I can remember from the old days of doom and the like, that getting sound to work on them was difficult, if not impossible.

Anyway, back to studying, exam tomorrow.
-Matt
=/
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Your sound card may be incapable of playing multiple files at once and be in use by other application, causing it to be N/A for TTD.

To ensure your card is decent, run 2 or more Winamps at once (this requires the "allow multiple instances" option on) and try to play music in each of them.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Andrex: the audigy he has should be more than adequate for that...

Kordasn: There was this post on the TTDPatch mailing list, see http://lists.ttdpatch.net/ttdpatch/200312/msg00125.html

If you can find dplay.dll, try copying it to dplayx.dll. Don't know if that'll help.
Kordasn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: the download of dplayx.dll/dplay.dll

Post by Kordasn »

Well, I downloaded the file, was about to copy it, when I realised the version I downloaded was older. Then I thought, well, I just bought this computer like 2 months ago, when I would have installed directx, maybe they have a new version?

I went searching, so alas, there was no new directx. However, I desided, what the heck, maybe it's a new build. I downloaded it, installed it, looked, it's not a new build. I was thinking all was lost, but I went into the game, and guess what? The sound now works, well, it works when in the game. Better than before, at least :)

It's interesting though:
- The music doesn't work.
- The in-game sounds do work.
- The menu sound (or music) doesn't work.

I am satisfied with the operation of the only the sound, in the game only, but why wouldn't it work in the menu and why doesn't the music work.
<scary music>.

If you want me to try additional methods to find out what's up with the music/why it isn't working, let me know.

Thanks for the help, once again.
=/

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”