Italy scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Zvezda
Engineer
Engineer

Italy scenario

Post by Zvezda »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but i've been playing this game for few years. I like OpenTTD, despite it has its years on the back it is still very enjoyable and the best in its sector. Sadly i really like playing only real actual maps, no random, i really can't see the fun playing random maps honestly. So i created a scenario of my country: Italy. I think it is pretty good and if you're interested download it!
Hope you enjoy! Please, report any suggestions you have.
Attachments
Italy.scn
(250.79 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Italy scenario

Post by Katve »

Please post some screenshots so people know what they download.
I downloaded it and it looks quite nice for me.
Zvezda
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah, people can't see immediately the good work indeed :P.

Northern Italy. The northern part of the country is one of the most developed and densely populated areas of the whole world, living standards are very high.

This is the Milan-Turin-Genoa industrial triangle. Since the unification of Italy in 1861 this part of country led the growth of the whole nation.

The North-East. This area of the country, once part of the Serenissima, the Venetian Republic, fell in the first years of 800' under the austrian rule, to remain part of Austria-Hungary empire until 1866, when Italy won the third war of independence, thanks the help of allied Prussia. Until 50s of last century, this part was pretty poor and underdeveloped, then, in the 50s, the region began to grow, it did grew so much it has reached the North-West standards and in few cases surpassed them. Now this is truly the engine of the italian system of little and medium enterprises, which leads the italian economy in this moment. In fact, despite the 2008 crisis, this part of the country registered highest growing rate, not inferior to european levels.

Bologna and Florence are two main cities in central-north Italy. Bologna is surrounded by fields and not far for the splendid adriatic sea. Florence, once capital of Italy, is the capital of the region of Tuscany, the first cultural attraction of the country.

This is Rome, capital of Italy after the fall of the Vatican state in 1871. Rome is the largest municipality in Italy with more than 2.7 million people. Central Italy is well developed, even if it doesn't reach the higher standards of the North.

Southern Italy. The South is fairly less developed than the North and incredibly is also under the european average. The gap between North and South exists since the fall of the Roman empire, but during the 150 years of the italian unification this gap seemed to increase. The bad corrupted national administration would not take care of the problems of the South. Now these problems are damaging the whole country. Despite this, some areas are pretty developed and growing, like the adriatic coast, Naples and Sicily. Sardinia recently began a great development growing like no before.

This is the area of Naples. The city, once capital of a growing nation, was neglected during her whole existance under the italian reign and then republic. Despite many programs launched in the 50s and following decads to improve economic situation, the southern Italy remains very far from central and northern Italy standards, with high crime and micro-crime spread everywhere.

Sicily. Sicily is one of the five italian autonomous regions, this because the strong independentist movements that have always been present in the history of this region under the italian rule. Sicily, despite very high micro-crime and great presence of mafia organization, is pretty developed and has so much potential if the crime is beaten. There's a bridge, planned since the 70s, that would connect Sicily with the mainland, but the engineering issues are huge and the cost would be very high. But what's the price to finish the unification after all?

As you can see, the map is pretty big, but full of cities, this because Italy is really densely populated. Not all cities are meant to be reach by the railway, of course, the most would need just few busses, only big cities like Milan, Turin, Genoa, Verona, Venice, Trieste etc... deserve rail connection.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Zvezda wrote:Northern Italy. The northern part of the country is one of the most developed and densely populated areas of the whole world...
I'm fairly confident that is just a lie.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

most densly populated: for sure not, netherlands beat it, and so does indonisian islands
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Its a bit harsh to disregard it 'as a lie'. It might be hard to back up, but I'd say from a bit of googling it could claim to be one of the most densely populated regions of the world quite easily.

For eg the map in this: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ ... -12-EN.PDF
And this link: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statis ... C_2008.PNG

Seem to suggest that Northern italy is about as densely populated as parts of the Netherlands or Southern England which ARE definatly counted amongst the most densely populated areas of the world.
Zvezda
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zvezda »

It's cool actually i got it going on the net and also had many clients (even 8!). Map is playable, actually i am playing the third version of the scenario, with smaller cities and some foreign territories completed (unfinished). It's called !!! ITALY SCENARIO !!! as server name. Still developing scenario and perhaps a 4th version with less cities but bigger will come in the future.
For what regards how densely populated is northern Italy:
Not at dutch or british levels but it quite nears them. Northern Italy is the bottom of a large stripe going from Milanese hinterland to England, passing from the german Ruhr and Paris, and of course Belgium and the Netherlands.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

SwissFan91 wrote: 08 Nov 2011 23:07
Zvezda wrote:Northern Italy. The northern part of the country is one of the most developed and densely populated areas of the whole world...
I'm fairly confident that is just a lie.
It's not a lie! My DNA say's I am a perfect Mutt! 50% from Italy and 50% from Germany! :lol: Using Trainz UTC, I all studied both Italy and Germany extensively! It's an excellent choice to replace steam locomotives with electric ones! Italy's first mainline steam loco was Vittario Emmanuel class 4-6-0 built in Piedmont Italy. Those were replaced by the Class E-550 E Electric Locomotives! built in Italy also.

Christopher Tarana
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Nice one, too bad it's such a small map.
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Argus wrote: 25 Sep 2023 16:05 Nice one, too bad it's such a small map.
not small a dozen years ago :)
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I already realized that too :wink: She was big enough then :)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”