Station rating problems

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mcbeast
Engineer
Engineer

Station rating problems

Post by mcbeast »

Hi Experts

I have been playing for a while, but suddenly i am having a big problems making my business run. My station rating gets really low fast. Within a year i dont get passengers or transport goods enough to earn money, because of low rating. I have read the guide on station rating, but i dont see why my rating is so low? eksample:

I make a rail line between two coal mines and a powerplant approx 30-20 gridboxes distance enough to get a proper fee for the goods. I the only avail. train (damp) and 5 coal wagons. This train goes back and forth as fast as possible, but the rating goes down below 30%. What am i doing wrong?

Kind Regards McB
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Station rating problems

Post by Terkhen »

Welcome to the forums.

A savegame would be handy to know what is causing the problem exactly. Meanwhile, take a look at http://wiki.openttd.org/Game_mechanics#Station_rating
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I almost always run 2 (or more trains) with the intention to have one loading at the station all the time. When that one is full and leaves, there's another one in the station ready to start loading (or is about to arrive).

This requires a double platform and at least some double tracking to allow multiple trains to run.

A screenshot (or possibly a save game) might be helpful.

Are you competing against AI? If so then it's likely they will steal all the cargo unless you're quite aggressive.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

try setting the train to full load.
if it just goes back and forth, your station rating will be sux0r.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
mcbeast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mcbeast »

Ok i thought that it was important to visit the stations as often as possible. But i will try the solution of setting it to full load. Meanwhile i will post my savegame.
Attachments
Hufingway-on-sea Transport, 10. sep 1952.sav
(221.44 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

There are only 2 planes in that savegame...no trains at all...

Those planes might be better on "full load any" until the towns grow a bit.
mcbeast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mcbeast »

Yeah sorry, its because i dident save the game with the trains, and i tried a new game with planes. The same result.

But the tactic is to let the trains/planes/cars/boats get filled up before leaving the station, or else the station rating will fall.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

That's ok.

Assuming these are your first games, it's worthwhile experimenting to see what works. If you play with AI, watch what they do and learn from them.

Also have a look at the wiki http://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page for some help, especially with trains and stations...and of course these forums.

Finally, you can also cheat to give yourself buckets of cash, although that's not very satisfying once you've learned how to play well.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”