Stereotypes

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Random_Guy_A
Engineer
Engineer

Stereotypes

Post by Random_Guy_A »

Are we all a bunch of stereotypes, I was wondering the other day while i was sitting down playing open ttd for the 6th hour in a row without a bathroom break or a pack of crisps while my friend sits watching rugby all day and taking the mick that i'm 27 and "playing with my Trains"

are we all stereotype nerds? I mean I love to go out all the time watch footy play hockey and drink until I pass out, but I enjoy nothing better than chilling out and playing Open TTD,

I was wondering whether other players get stick off their Girlfriends/Wives or friends and think that its quite sad we "play with our trains" and what kind of people actually play the game? and without being sexist are there any female players? coz il be using that in my next chat up line if there is lol

Anyways i'm just rambling on the forum now to spark some conversation so i'm gonna shutup now and let you abuse my post, cheers very much for reading :twisted:
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Stereotypes

Post by JamieLei »

Hmmm - I think there might be many of those stereotypes but also many who don't exactly conform to the stereotype. But in the end, I think the one thing that unites us all (apart from TTD) is an interest in transport, whether that in be trains, planes, buses or cars etc, even if it's a rather private interest that doesn't necessarily involve taking pictures or using transport.

I tend to only play OTTD for an hour at a time, pretty irregularly.

Regarding the female question, it's something I brought up many moons ago. There are female forum members - not sure how many TTD players though!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Sure, we all like to 'play with our trains' (if that's what you kids are calling it these days lol), but you only have to look at this section of the forum to see there are many different facets of the average TT/TTD/OTTD player.

As for female TT-players, or indeed forum members, i'm personally not aware of any. Sure, I've heard stories... :roll:
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
Felix Atagong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Felix Atagong »

This is all too familiar. Starting an (Open)TTD game at two in the afternoon and then realising that is past over midnight when you look again at the clock.

I can watch at the ballet of trains rolling in and out a station for hours, sometimes just changing a signal or a few tracks here and there to make it even more smoothly.

And I am over 50! :roll:
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Barely anyone that I know, knows of my gaming habits, so I don't really have that issue. One or two friends have looked a bit befuddled when I've shown them my games in the past though.

Frankly many of the other groups I'm involved in have far worse stereotypes attached to them...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
John_Smith
Chairman
Chairman

Post by John_Smith »

The typical OTTD user is male who are in the age range 18-24, have no children and browse this site from home. It is most popular with Germans, Czechs and British.

JS.

[Source: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/openttd.org#]
I not an boring person, I just get excited over boring things.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Transport Tycoon games make a very good lifestyle.

No stress, just chillin'

Then at the end of day you sit in a garden, watch sunset... And then you go sleep, but before that you spend at least 1 hour thinking about what would you do if a caveman knocked on your door or something.

Finding good job is hard though. I wouldn't be able to work with those awful bosses that constantly remind you about work. When work should be done, it will be done. Fortunately, there are still people willing to hire people like me.

EDIT: No Netherlands? That's weird...

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I used to play "with trains" a few hours per dey, and that was so annoying to my wife. Nowadays I'm rarely playing. I even don't have too much time to sit by the computer...
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
HoQuocDu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HoQuocDu »

I'm typical Vietnamese OTTD player since unknown late-2010s, I don't want to getting bankrupt.

Return to “Off-Topic”