Can we have cabooses/guard vans?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you like this idea?

Yes, cabooses/guard vans are cool
85%
No, that's silly
15%

Total votes: 41

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Can we have cabooses/guard vans?

Post by krtaylor »

It's clearly possible to make new traincars, even useless ones, just for looks - the tenders are an example of that.

Therefore, would it be possible for the various sets to include cabooses or guard vans? Of course those are rarely used nowadays, but in the past they were essential.

I think that each of the sets could include an appropriate end-of-train-vehicle graphic. For instance, the (North American) Arctic set would get a little red caboose, the BR set would have a guard van, Tropicset would have a wooden box, etc.

Thoughts anyone?
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

This would be up to the graphics maker, not to the patch folks... I'd be happy to toss a caboose into whatever graphics set I might end up making, though. ;)
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

As long as the graphics makers know how to make a new vehicle type...
Good point. Can a mod move this thread into the Graphics forum? Thanks.

Edit by spiff: ok
zero1000
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: Munich area, Bavaria, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by zero1000 »

it's a very good idea to have gabooses etc.
for DB set already an 'useless' train is planned, a maintenance and repair train set for the overhead wires (BR 701): http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2480&start=780
zero1000
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

zero1000 wrote:it's a very good idea to have gabooses etc.
for DB set already an 'useless' train is planned, a maintenance and repair train set for the overhead wires (BR 701): http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2480&start=780
Thats set to be out when track maintenence costs start to happen, and I dunno when that is (thats up to the patch team), and whilst it is cool, I understand all the time constraints and stuff, so I can wait :)).

Guardvans would be very cool, even though we never really had them in Oztralia for many years. I like it!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Yes a very good idea and adding to the romance of playing TT. In addition perhaps they could be made not available after a certain year as in the real world. This addition however would add to station lengths and costs. :roll:
In Australia i think freight trains still have guards. 8)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Here's a link to a bunch of images of British guard vans that would be appropriate:

http://www.semg.org.uk/vandw/brakevans01.html

A good-looking American caboose:

http://www.wagonandcarriage.co.uk/Premi ... /g6200.jpg

And a German brake van. Very hard to find since I don't speak German:

http://www.tee-usa.com/f8302.html

I remember seeing one with kind of a "tower" on one end, that would be very cool.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The cupola cabooses would be better because it is more obvious that it is a caboose. The cupola can be in the middle or at the rear, but regardless, it must be Bright Red.

But really, the American cabooses would only fit in on the current Arctic set. More important are the German, Dutch and British brake vans. I did my best but those are kind of hard to come by if you don't speak German or Dutch. Any help?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Brake vans where very important pre-diesels because there were no air brakies and the emergency brake was in the gards van, but now they are built into each goods carriage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

True. But brake vans were often seen on European railways until the end of the 1960s, and since the Patch goes back to 1921, it makes sense to include them.

Also, even with modern trains, a long freight train will sometimes have a caboose for safety reasons.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

I've just tried to find pictures of german brake vans. Even for me its hard to find pictures of them. The german name is bremswagen.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

Are you sure? Gueterzug Begleitwagen seems more likely...
I still do not get the point, we are talking about waggons the goods train personal is in and it can break *this* one waggon?
What about "Bremserhaeuschen" (brake cabins) on many of the waggons?
For me they are much better. Or is the special waggon for the brake cabin personal to have lunch in / have a stove (heating) in the winter?

Hope someone can clarify it for me ...

Begleitwagen (caboose):
http://www.kleinserien.de/d/a/bah/34174.htm

brake cabin:
http://www.piko.de/d/artikel/54265.htm
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The brake cabins are more modern, and not noticeable at the scale of TTD. Before the 1960s, freight trains generally had separate, dedicated brake wagons or guard vans in which the brakeman would sit and operate brakes as required. Sometimes they also stored small piece cargo bu I think that is too hard to replicate here.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

Well I am not very into Trains. I play TTD more from the strategy point of view. So I don't know about all the different waggons Train Companies used.

It would also be very interesting to see armoured waggons. Waggons with Jeeps or Tanks on it. They don't need to carry any goods aroung. Were I grew up the German Army often transportet tanks and armoured Transporters with the Deutsche Bahn. If there would any waggons transporting Tanks or Jeeps it could be an military movement between two army barracks.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, there is a heavy-load Goods Wagon that has a bulldozer on it. You could easily draw a different version of it with tanks instead, maybe a howitzer also.
nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

krtaylor wrote:
"The brake cabins are more modern"
Well here in Germany (with shorter distances between towns)
ordinary waggons with somebody sitting on a chair (later in a cabin)
and braking a goods van are not at all modern, they have been in use at least since 1850, probably earlier...
About US I do not know :-)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

As far as I know nothing like that was ever used in the US. I didn't know the Germans had used that method, from the examples shown the brake-on-a-normal-car looked more modern than the brake van.
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

the US used brakemen in the caboose who would run back and forth ontop of the cars applying the handbrakes prior to the invention of reliable airbrakes
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Correct. I don't think the brakemen ever had to perch on the end of a car permanently, they had the caboose to hang out in, or at least the engine cab. US railways had real cabs earlier, and cabooses, I suppose because US weather is more extreme and harsh than that of most of Europe.

Return to “Graphics Development”