High Speed Lines in TTD?

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
TGVfan
Engineer
Engineer

High Speed Lines in TTD?

Post by TGVfan »

Hi everyone,

The question is: When is there comming a new episode :lol: of TTD?

Chris doesn't know, I don't know, no-one knows.

BUT.

Is it a good idea for a new type of trainlines? So that non-electrified tracks will have a speed limid of 75 m/h. Electrified tracks 125 m/h. and special lines "High Speed Lines" a maximum speed of 200 m/h.

This will make TTD, or another version of the game more realistic.

Let me know what you think about this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you knew that:

Dutch rail-trafic management is responsible for more then 80% of all train delays in Holland.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Re: High Speed Lines in TTD?

Post by ChrisCF »

TGVfan wrote:Is it a good idea for a new type of trainlines? So that non-electrified tracks will have a speed limid of 75 m/h. Electrified tracks 125 m/h. and special lines "High Speed Lines" a maximum speed of 200 m/h.
Surely 75mph for non-electrified lines is a little low for the bar to be set. The Great Western Main Line has sections with limits set at 90, 100 and 125mph. 125mph diesels thunder from London to Bristol in a little over an hour.
Dutch rail-trafic management is responsible for more then 80% of all train delays in Holland.
Idiot passengers responsible for the other 20%?
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: High Speed Lines in TTD?

Post by Hyronymus »

ChrisCF wrote:Idiot passengers responsible for the other 20%?
No, I believe idiot train personnel fills the other 20%.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Surely idiot passengers getting their hands/baggage/something else caught in the doors can't be that uncommon. Anyway, I digress ...

Indeed, it would make sense to have some dedicated high-speed lines, with large curve radii, and no way for slow trains to get onto them. Very much like the fast tracks on the LGVs in France.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

TTD will never have such differentiation because TTD allows only three types of track, period.

TTSD could have, and I could sort of see an argument for it. You wouldn't "limit" the tracks though, you would just limit the trains that ran on it.

Normal tracks would have steam or diesel locos. You can run 150mph Bombardier JetTrains on them but they appear late (2000).

Electrified trains support a somewhat faster speed, from the GG1 of 1930 through the 150mph ICE and Acela.

High-speed tracks could support things like the TGV, Eurostar and Shinkansen, which can go faster than 200mph.

And then you still have the possibility of monorail and maglev. I would hope TTSD might support a special monorail mode in which the monorail could ride over roads and/or buildings, to give it a reason for existince - you can use it in city centers where there isn't enough room for normal trains. That's where it is used in the real world.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Hopefully, with adequate controls over the routing of the trains, you should be able to divert slow trains onto their own tracks, to keep the faster trains running on a clear road.

The notion of trams running on ballasted track and on the roads seems to be a very good idea.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It would be kind of cool to be able to designate a "high-speed" and "slow" line, and the trains would automatically categorize themselves without having to use checkpoint stations.

Actually, here's another idea: allowing signals on the BOUNDARY between two squares, rather than ON the actual square. That would allow you to have two parallel one-way tracks going in the same direction, with periodic crossovers between them, so a high speed train can overtake an pass a slower train on the other track, automatically.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

That last part IMO is purely a space-saving solution, and not particularly useful.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

There's already an idea for assigning pieces of track to a 'group'. This way you can designate a train to use one or maybe more groups.

This won't be self-organising though, so you would still have to manually create the high-speed and low-speed groups, and manually assign trains to them.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

ChrisCF wrote:That last part IMO is purely a space-saving solution, and not particularly useful.
Actually, space-saving solutions are very useful, IMHO - you don't always have the luxury of all of the space in the world. Especially early in the game, I can't always afford major landscape changes.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Not only that, but it would conform to real-world practice. I would envision a four-track main line, two in each direction, with periodic crossovers between the two tracks in each direction, with a signal on the boundary of the crossover. That way the whole four-track assembly would be only four square wide, rather than six.
TGVfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TGVfan »

:D Good I see that there is a nice discussion. I hope that it's possible to make a HSL like a french LGV or Geman NBS (neuBauStrecke). Maybe it's possible to replace the "monorail"system with a new railtype AND new signalling system LGV based.

I, dont know if it is possible (I am not a Computermaniak)

Butr I thought tht it might be a good idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DID YOU KNEW THAT:

Holland is building the first High Speed Line in Europe with the new (BB2100) ERTMS signalling system.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The nice thing with TTSD is that it won't have the same limit as TTD which let us have only three kinds of tracks. I suspect (but don't know for sure, as I am not on the coding team) that TTSD will have the following:

Normal train tracks, just like TTD

Electrified train tracks, just like Patched TTD

Monorails, just like TTD. However, I am hoping they will have the additional ability to run down/over roads and hop over buildings, just like real ones do.

Maglev, just like TTD.

Trams. These would operate on normal/electrified tracks, but also have the ability to run on tracks set into otherwise ordinary streets. When on dedicated tracks, they would obey signals like any other train. When on roads-with-tracks, they would act as if they were road vehicles, except of course with the restriction that they can't leave the tracks.

Subways. Really this is not a special kind of track, it is a new ability of all the other kinds of tracks to go underground, like in a normal tunnel, but with the ability to have turns, switches, signals, and stations down there. Of course you could use this to make a dedicated subway, or half in/half out like the London Tube, or just have an underground city-center mainline railroad station like in New York (Grand Central & Penn)

It is also possible there might be the following:

Elevated rails. I view this as basically the opposite of subways - instead of being underground, they're up in the air. The only special ability would be the ability to be built on top of other things (not buildings) such as roads or other tracks, just like the real ones are. Also the stations could be up in the air, built over the street or built on top of a ground-level station. Again, this could be a dedicated system, or it could connect to an ordinary suburban line.

High-speed line. Visually I suppose this would look just like normal electrified track except with a different (concrete?) colored ballast so you could tell it apart. I think its trains would also be able to operate over normal electrified track, but at slower speeds. Normal trains couldn't go on the high-speed line (different electrical frequency?) I think this would be a later addition as it isn't so obviously useful, you can use normal electrified lines for this easily enough.

I imagine the track laying would be very much the same as it already is with the Patch (buildonslopes, pre-signals, etc.) I'm hoping they will also have yellow warning signals (slow down, but don't stop, because a train is one block ahead) and signals on the BORDER of a square rather than right ON a square.

It has already been announced that TTSD will support viaducts (high-level bridges). If subways are implemented, then that would in effect also mean you could have curving tunnels.

I've seen some discussion about having train depots that are a realistic length. Personally I'm against this because it would take up WAY too much space, but that's another issue.

Somebody wanted third-rail electrification but I don't see that as very important. Maybe later.

Return to “Transport Unlimited”