Another person stuck installing 32-graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Another person stuck installing 32-graphics

Post by monkopenttd »

Following the instructions here:

http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoo ... stallation

I downloaded:

openttd-32bpp-ez-1.1.0-source

32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2011-05-04

32bpp_extra-nightly-r40

I extracted the source files to my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD as that is what it states (Extract the Game files into a Game Folder folder of your choosing).

I then extracted 32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2011-05-04 which gave me a sprites folder, I put that in my /Data folder.

I then extracted 32bpp_extra-nightly-r40 which gave me another sprites folder and a 32bpp newgrf file, which I placed in the /Data folder as well.

Activated the newGRF in the menu, and loaded a game. Some grass tiles are now broken, and I have no extra zoom functions.

From the above, can anyone spot where I'm going wrong?

Thanks! :D
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Another person stuck installing 32-graphics

Post by Lord Aro »

You're un-tar-ing the 32bpp-extra. The grf does not work if you've 'un'tar-ed' it
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monkopenttd »

The "32bpp_extra-nightly" is a zip file though, not a tar?

The "32bpp_extra-nightly-r40" is a zip file, with a tar file within it.

Not sure if that helps diagnosing the problem or not?

Thanks

Nick :)
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

hmm, so it does. well, unzip the file, but don't untar it, that should help.

failing that, revert to r39

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monkopenttd »

Nope, still doesn't work.

I'm going to do a fresh install of OpenTTD and then document it step by step, as I would love to get this working correctly.
monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monkopenttd »

Right, I've uninstalled and deleted any remaining files in my Program Files/OpenTTD folder.

1) Installed OpenTTD from here: http://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1. ... -win32.exe

2) Whilst installing, I allowed it to download openGFX, openSFX and openMSX

3) I now go to this page for further instructions: http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels

4) I download this for my GAME file: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez ... rce.tar.gz

5) I skip downloading the DATA files as I already have openGFX and openSFX installed

6) I download this for my 32bpp graphics file: http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-nightl ... -04-29.tar

7) I download this for my 32bpp_extra.grf: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ex ... ly-r39.zip

We then moved onto the install process outlined on the wiki page.

8) "1. Extract the Game files into a Game Folder folder of your choosing." Ok, first problem, when it mentions Game Folder, is it referring to the directory that OpenTTD is installed in? (eg, C:/Program File/OpenTTD/), because there is also a OpenTTD directory within "My Documents" which has all my game saves and downloaded GRF's, and that also has a DATA folder within it (which is relevant because the next step of the wiki page instructs me to "Extract the OpenGFX and OpenSFX files, into the Game Folder\Data.".

So, at this stage I have now come to a halt, as I don't know which directory it's referring to.

After a bit of pondering, I'm going to assume that when it refers to Game Folder it's meaning my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD folder.

9) The wiki page instructs me to "Extract the Game files into a Game Folder folder of your choosing.". So, I extract the files, and am left with a folder called "openttd-32bpp-ez-1.1.0", which I copy and place within my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD folder.

10) I skip the next instruction "Extract the OpenGFX and OpenSFX files, into the Game Folder\Data." as I already have them installed when I installed OpenTTD.

11) "Put the 32bpp graphic files (TAR files/Nightly pack) in the Game Folder\Data as well. (There is no need to un-tar the .tar files, but .zip files need to be unzipped)". So, I copy "32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2011-04-29" and place it in my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/Data folder.

This is where it gets a bit confusing again. Going back to step number 4 of the Download section says "32bpp_extra.grf - download latest 32bpp_extra.grf file and put it to <game>\data folder. ". Fair enough, I click the link and downloaded the file there, which is a zip file. If I extract that zipfile, there is another zipfile and a docs file. So I unzip that next zipfile, and within that is the 32bpp_extra.grf and also a SPRITES folder. I assume that this sprites folder is not used, as there is nothing in the instructions about this?

12) So I proceed and place the 32bpp_extra.grf file in my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/Data folder (this is my GAME folder), and activate the grf within the game.

And....

It doesn't work. I've got broken tiles where the grass meets water, and no extra zoom.

Where have I gone wrong? :bow:
monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monkopenttd »

Bump, can anyone help?
jstein22kk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jstein22kk »

I have experienced similar frustrations with zoom and still cannot find an up to date step by step guide anywhere ... Using a trial and error install I did mange to get it working - somehow ... try untaring certain files (search forums for a person who did this sucessfully) .. I suspect the untarring function does not work for all/some windows users. One other possible problem might be that if you use saved games the new zoom graphics installs will not be picked up - always start a new game after experimenting/instaling with new graphics. Good Luck .
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Right, you've done a major thing wrong at the start, so i'll dissect your post and try to help you
monkopenttd wrote:Right, I've uninstalled and deleted any remaining files in my Program Files/OpenTTD folder.

1) Installed OpenTTD from here: http://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1. ... -win32.exe
You should NOT do this. This is an installer for 1.1.0, not the binary for extra-zoom-levels
monkopenttd wrote:3) I now go to this page for further instructions: http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels
You should have gone here first... ;)
monkopenttd wrote:4) I download this for my GAME file: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez ... rce.tar.gz
This is not a 'game file'. This is the source code for the ez binary. You wanted the (for example) http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez ... -win32.zip instead. NOTE: This is NOT 1.1.0, and you should not try to play multiplayer with it, as this may cause problems...
monkopenttd wrote:We then moved onto the install process outlined on the wiki page.

8) "1. Extract the Game files into a Game Folder folder of your choosing." Ok, first problem, when it mentions Game Folder, is it referring to the directory that OpenTTD is installed in? (eg, C:/Program File/OpenTTD/), because there is also a OpenTTD directory within "My Documents" which has all my game saves and downloaded GRF's, and that also has a DATA folder within it (which is relevant because the next step of the wiki page instructs me to "Extract the OpenGFX and OpenSFX files, into the Game Folder\Data.".

So, at this stage I have now come to a halt, as I don't know which directory it's referring to.

After a bit of pondering, I'm going to assume that when it refers to Game Folder it's meaning my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD folder.
'Game folder' does not mean the place where you have installed 'normal' OTTD, it means another folder where you want to store the binary for it (which you previously failed to download) I would suggest not putting it in the Program Files fodler at all, and would just put the binary in your documents, e.g. C:\path\to\user\My Documents\OTTD-32bpp
monkopenttd wrote:This is where it gets a bit confusing again. Going back to step number 4 of the Download section says "32bpp_extra.grf - download latest 32bpp_extra.grf file and put it to <game>\data folder. ". Fair enough, I click the link and downloaded the file there, which is a zip file. If I extract that zipfile, there is another zipfile and a docs file. So I unzip that next zipfile, and within that is the 32bpp_extra.grf and also a SPRITES folder. I assume that this sprites folder is not used, as there is nothing in the instructions about this?

12) So I proceed and place the 32bpp_extra.grf file in my C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/Data folder (this is my GAME folder), and activate the grf within the game.
32bpp_extra.grf doesn't work if you untar it as you have done. I suspect this was down to you not realising that inside the 'first' .zip file there is infact a .tar file, which you shouldn't extract.

Hope that helps, i'll try and improve the wiki in the places where you have stumbled, and don't hesitate to ask any more questions

Lord Aro

EDIT: edited the wiki, hope that hopes :)

monkopenttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monkopenttd »

It's working! Wahey! Thanks for that.

What I never realised, is because it doesnt say so, is that this is a complete standalone program. I thought it was an addition/modification we make to our existing OpenTTD install!

Maybe if you added that at the top of the wiki page, stating that this is a complete standalone program (thus requiring separate install), but based on a modified version of of OpenTTD, may go some way to solving some of these issues. :)

The wiki is also clearer now with your revisions, thanks for that!

Now, I'm off to read up on how to create some new 32bit graphics :) Maybe I can contribute something back!
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

monkopenttd wrote:Maybe if you added that at the top of the wiki page
The advantage of a wiki is that everyone can edit it. Please, it you think adding that will help other people, don't hesitate to add that yourself.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

Someone please help me too.

I did the following:

- Extract "openttd-32bpp-ez-1.1.0-windows-win64" to "Program Files\OpenTTD 32\"
- Copy OpenGFX + OpenSFX to OpenTTD 32\data\
- Copy "32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2011-05-04" to "OpenTTD 32\data\"
- Extract "32bpp_extra-nightly-r40.zip" to OpenTTD 32\data (it includes "docs" and "32bpp_extra-nightly.tar".

After this I started the new OpenTTD 32 (which i reckon is using the same config file from My Documents?) and activated the grf through "NewGRF Settings".

Then, when I start a new game, the following happens:
1950 32bpp.png
(775.66 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
2000_building.png
(505.76 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
2000_ocean.png
(933.56 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
What's wrong? The zoom is ok, but there's only some random building that look nice. No trains, no roads, no grass looks nice. Only a couple of factories, and one or two buildings in a couple of cities. And the ocean is also weird.

What am I doing wrong here? The blitter thing?

This is in the 1950s.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

I found out that the "32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2011-05-04" was corrupted on the middle mirror (didn't work on the first), so I tried redownloading on the last mirror.

This was the result:
2000_new.png
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Still some errors though. I can't get the correct trains, stations, bridges, railways or busses. In addition a lot of buildings are still 8bit (even though I know they're supposed to be converted), and the ocean is still weird. But the grass is better, and so are the roads, and a couple of new buildings are there.

What is actually included in this package? Do I have to download every bus, train etc. manually? 8o
Last edited by nordemoniac on 11 Jun 2011 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

No one can help me?

What's the latest and best way to get 32BPP + full zoom?

Everywhere I go, I find "32bpp extra zoom levels", and then "this is 9 months old, and outdated"... I also find several posts where it says that it is two branches, one 32bpp, and one 32bpp with zoom, and that artists should create two sets.

I'm confused - what's the best way?

Please help me with this tonight!! :bow:
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Please don't create multiple posts after each other without any reply from someone else. People will notice your question in time, just edit your last post if you have some more information to add.

The 32bpp extra zoom project doesn't have new graphics for all original graphics. For those places where there are no new graphics available you'll see a zoomed in version of the default graphics, which obviously looks a lot less nice than newly made graphics for that zoom level. Other than that it looks to me that you've already got everything working.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Edit: Yexo was faster but here is some info, maybe someone has more ...

Newest extra zoom binary can be found here http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/ , if you have that one already the there is no need to update.

Looking at your picture you seem to have it working correctly.
The sprites that are still in 8bpp are not yet drawn or not yet included in the nightly pack.

32bpp is included in trunk but extra zoom is not.

For the extra zoom patch there are three sizes of sprites needed, one for every zoom level, for trunk 32bpp sprites only one (normal) size.

You can use the sprites package you have also for trunk but you will have sprites that are not used. That is why some people say/ask to provide 2 sets.

You can browse the forum for more sprites (tars) but note that the older ones you may find are meant to replace the orignal graphics while the new are meant to replace the OpenGFX ones. (I could be wrong it has been a while I tested.)

Also note that there are sprite sets (older) that are meant to be used in trunk, read -> do not have the zoom sprites.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

Hmm.. I'm getting rather confused now. I still have old trains, old bridges etc, these should be updated right?

I've seen other people have these.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

Ah, wait.. I think I get it now, this guy (in the youtube vid.) has used a pack which includes these two files which I've managed to get working, and in addition has the correct railroad, stations etc.

I will download the other packs manually from"http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels_Files" and set it up after my liking.

The "Preset"which you can save, is it possible to transfer that to another computer? So that you f.ex. can set up all the different tars you like, add them to a custom preset, and then transfer the tars and the preset to another computer... Possible?

I will then maybe upload my config here, so others can get started more easily.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I think the guy in the video also carefully avoided showing the 8bpp sprites ... eg.the sports stadion that is visible from time to time is still 8bpp.

Anyway as I said before you might be able to find additional sprites but you will not be able to have a comlete set yet ... as not all sprites have been drawn in 32bpp.
You may be able to find some additional sprites in this thread http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14549
It is also the place to be if you want to help drawing some missing sprites.

Most likely you have already found this thread, and there is already a link earlier in the thread to the repository, but I'll link to it for the next guy/girl searching for sprites and wondering why not all sprites are 32bpp yet: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47907

Your config file will not help much as it is a matter of putting the sprites/tars in the correct place for 32bpp sprites to appear ingame.

What do you mean by the preset you can save? The grf presets?
Yes, you can transfer the config file (and the presets) from one computer to another but the other computer has to have access to the GRFs too, else your preset is of little use to someone else.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

Thanks!

I tried getting some tars from this site: http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels_Files

But none of the links work...

Return to “Graphics Development”