Sodor Railways Expansion for UKRS2 - (Thomas Reboot)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lordmwa
President
President

Re: Sodor Railways Expansion for UKRS2 - (Thomas Reboot)

Post by Lordmwa »

Eddi wrote:What i meant was: not everybody grew up with british children tv. an actual description what this is about in the first post would help tremendously.
Its not just the tv but the books, more so the books.

I am amazed that people on here have no idea of thomas the tank engine, i grew up on the books nearly 20 years ago and they weren't that new then

I strongly recommend anyone on here with young kids (especially boys) to go get some of the books maybe from the libary and read them. They are some of the best kids books ever written for fans of trains.

This set should be amazing and it will be interesting to see how many screenshots we can make based on the books :D
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Lordmwa wrote:
Eddi wrote:What i meant was: not everybody grew up with british children tv. an actual description what this is about in the first post would help tremendously.
Its not just the tv but the books, more so the books.

I am amazed that people on here have no idea of thomas the tank engine,[...]
Well, the people on here are from a lot of different countries all over the world, you should remember. Although I do admit that the books and/or tv show were probably translated into a lot of different languages (amongst them german), it may not have been as popular in different countries so I understand Eddi's remark that quite a portion of people on these forums may not be familiar with the series and might benefit from a quick intro in the first post.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I first became acquainted with the franchise when my local PBS station started broadcasting the "Shining Time Station" series with Ringo Starr as the Conductor, which was around 1997 for me. I watched it with my young children until 2003 with the end of the run of the "Thomas and Tank Engine & Friends" episodes narrated by George Carlin. My youngest son was the first one to show real interest in the show, and then some of the toys. He'll occasionally watch the stop-animation shows but prefers the CGI episodes and cartoons these days.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I have the whole set of books at home...

Also, Ringo Starr the narrator ftw! :)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Lord Aro wrote:I have the whole set of books at home...

Also, Ringo Starr the narrator ftw! :)

Ah the soft scouse accent - living in liverpool at the moment and most of them dont sound like him unfortunatly
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I remember those days well. I had far far too much merchandise, along with the obligatory curtains and duvet cover. Also I watched the VHS tapes so much that by the end they were mainly grain rather than TV show.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

The first two series with Ringo certainly are the best, even if there is the occasional hand in shot or face falling off or derailed train. :) I was an original Thomas kid, being a 3-year old in the UK when the first series went to air.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I was a fan of the series as well, and that's why I was inspired to reboot this set :)

Attatched is Toby and his train (Henrietta and Elsie, who only appeared on the Reverend's model railway)

Also attatched are the express coaches with livery refits for Railway Series to 1984, TV Series "First Class" and "Second Class" - The red coaches were introduced in the second season of the series adn are mainly used on other mainline trains besides "The Express"
Attachments
Toby, Henrietta and Elsie
Toby, Henrietta and Elsie
Toby+.PNG (6.94 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
North Western Railway Express Coaches
North Western Railway Express Coaches
coaches.PNG (4.55 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Good work! Looking at Toby, I wonder if you could modify him to fit into the actual UKRS addons as a J70. Or let someone else do it.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

oberhümer wrote:Good work! Looking at Toby, I wonder if you could modify him to fit into the actual UKRS addons as a J70. Or let someone else do it.
Where do you think he came from? ;)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Even better :P
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

DanMacK wrote: Where do you think he came from? ;)
Not sure if there's a character based of any of the trains I drew for the addon, (most likely a hunslet?) but you're welcome to take any of them to save you some time. :)

All of the stock so far looks great, I'm looking forward to this even more :D

Thanks

Lawton27
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Thanks, I'm concentrating on Railway Series locos now, so I may actually use it for Wilbert the Forest Engine, but that's a bit down the road :)
dm.bgp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dm.bgp »

Just want to give a little bump. I'm very excited about this set. Grew up watching Thomas and following this thread has reminded me of some great childhood memories :).
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

DanMacK wrote:...Attatched is Toby...
I don't remember Toby's skirt being so blue? Or is that a company colour?
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

[A bit OT] I don't remember watching Thomas and Friends when I was a kid, or reading the books, but I do remember re-watching some of the episodes in the company of the five year old Thomas-mad son of a friend. And from this I learned that trucks are complete and utter suicidal maniacs. So that was something I hadn't appreciated before.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Simons Mith wrote:[A bit OT] I don't remember watching Thomas and Friends when I was a kid, or reading the books, but I do remember re-watching some of the episodes in the company of the five year old Thomas-mad son of a friend. And from this I learned that trucks are complete and utter suicidal maniacs. So that was something I hadn't appreciated before.
:lol: So true. "Troublesome" to say the least...
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

stevenh wrote:
At first it's gray, but then it's painted blue. Or so I recall...

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

stevenh wrote:
Toby was originally lettered LNER in the Railway Series (the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway was LNER at this point I believe). He had grey skirting when he originally came to Sodor, and after assisting James after he had a run-in with some tar wagons, was repainted brown and blue :)
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Hooley dooley, someone's actually doing this? Apologies for the bump, but I figured I might as well show you've got at least one more completely-obsessed-as-a-child Thomas the Tank Engine fan interested in seeing a project like this. I might even check to see if I can find my old toys around here... I feel old, I can't remember half the secondary characters' names. I do remember a toy of a grumpy double-decker bus who hated trains (...engine racism?), though I'm pretty sure he only appeared in a few episodes.

Toby was originally lettered LNER in the Railway Series (the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway was LNER at this point I believe). He had grey skirting when he originally came to Sodor, and after assisting James after he had a run-in with some tar wagons, was repainted brown and blue
That could be a nice alternate colour scheme, if such a thing is possible. (I've seen them in the Av8 pack, as a feature of Refitting)

Do you plan on doing faces, or going without? Honestly, I don't think they'd be worth doing in the resolution of OTTD, they might just end up looking weird. Our imaginations can suffice.

I'd like to see more NewGRFs like this, incorporating various famous fictional vehicles/other vaguely OTTD related things.

Return to “Graphics Development”