Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

You have improved it a lot! I like your style, I think you have a lot of talent, Toni :]
I have prepared an scheme with some details to give you guidance. I hope these are helpful to you ;)
However these sprites are not meant to be used absoultely: you might use them if you like them; but you can try to improve your work by yourself to get a similar result. Off course, everything I have "improved" could be improved; there are other artists quite better than I am around these forums; and they might find that something is wrong.

Some of these advices are very important, keep an eye for these:

From left to right; from top to bottom:

> The posters: you changed the color as I told you. Now they look much better! Now this is not a relevant step; but a tip to reach true mastery in sprites drawing 8) Never leave a big part of a surface with one same color. If you have too many pixels of the same color together, the sprite is likely to miss detail, or look too simple.
Take a look at the original TTD sprites: rarely will you find two equal pixels together. Also take a look at the walls of the buildings, the surfaces, the outer walls and the roofs that you drew yourself: they look excellent, because their surfaces are textured enough with a variety of color tones.
There might be exceptions, though, and you don't need to follow this blindly...

> The panels & flag: I made 2 versions the way I told you earlier. They have the Company Color blue. This will make every new industry built have a random color in these parts. However this is a matter of taste, you could use any other color.
In any case, you should not use such a bright yellow color in only one tone: always try to add texture mixing at least 3 tones of one color.

> White / Black :!: important Take special care with this, and any artist reading this should also keep an eye: Don't use pure white: RGB values 255,255,255 ; or pure black: RGB 0,0,0. The clearer color for in-game sprites is RGB 227,227,227 ; and the darker is RGB 8,8,8.
The pure white is actually present in the palette; but again, if we take a look at the original sprites of the game, none of it uses the pure white or black in them.
I know that when you are drawing your sprites, the 227 white will look too dark and grey; but once in game, it will perfectly addapt to the environment and look like it's totally white.

> Yellow beams: The bright yellow will look out of place when applied on depending which "materials" For example, on a steel beam it will not look good. At least not as the main color.
However you might use some bits of the bright yellow on the parts that are in the light side of an element to make it look shiny.

Also, you'll notice that I added texture to the crate to the right, and replaced the pure white in the panel on the left side.

> chimney: You also followed my advice and improved the texturing of the white parts, improving the "round" volume look of the chimney.
However, for an advanced level, you have to use more colors:
:!: important When you are drawing a round or cylindric shape, the texturing is not the same as for a flat shape.
I said before that for a flat shape, 3 tones of a color should be enough. But for a cylindric shape, the amount of color tones increases. This amount depends on the size of the cylinder you are drawing: it's not the same a train tanker and an industrial tank.
For a cylinder this size, 5/6 different tones should be enough.
Actually you used 6 tones of white , which is why you improved a lot the look of it :D But the red part remained in 3 tones.
There is also a little problem: I see that you tried to add noise making the color columns irregular in the center. However, the pattern is regular, and that spoiled it a bit. Here comes again the matter of the "materials" If we use clean bands of each tone when drawing the cylinder, it will look as if the surface is shiny, smooth and even; as if it was made of glass, or polished metal. But if we are drawing something made of hard steel, stone or concrete, we have to add more noise: each color band has to use more than only one tone of color.
Attachments
details.png
details.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Aegir wrote:Well I say so! If you can do new HQ's for all four/five stages, that would rock, I reckon.
if you're really motivated, Akalamanaia brought up an interesting point. Would be nice to have an HQ for both an industrial player and a passenger player. (You'd have to switch which one you want with a .grf parameter) But since that's 4 times the amount of sprites, for something that most people won't even use, it's not that important :P
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Because I love you all, have a screenshot.

Yeah, those are the new updated roads. Sexy, eh? Blame Sanchimaru for them :P. I'm going to do a simple texture swap soon to fix the bridges, until we get some brand-spanking new bridges, that is.

I've finished re-coding the landscape (Except for the foundations! And I would like to move the shinkansen tracks into the landscape .grf, but It's not a request as such), and I've finished re-coding the trees (We have 19 slots availible, Sanchimaru, 12 of those show up in the build menu, the other 7 are hidden, but appear randomly in-game, some more variety would be very nice. I'd really like some nice tall trees as well, like in the sub-tropic climate).

I'll be coding the signals very soon, since Patchman has told me how I should go about doing that :D. Then the big task of coding the houses begins!
Attachments
becauseiloveyouall.png
becauseiloveyouall.png (62.23 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Woah! Great to see you in action again, Aegir!
How about those roads, do they look good? we will have to see them in action to detect any inconsistence, or problem.

About bridges: I have no idea how close we are from those new bridges that will be compatible with any road / rail set, so...
Anyways, can I ask you to make it compatible with Pikkabird's stone bridge too? If he gives his permission, off course.

Good to hear about the trees, I'll have a look at them, and I might add new ones. I'll begin looking for information right now.

About the foundations, I'll work on them soon too! I have noted your advice, and will make all the missing sprites.

I want to do something about the shinkansen tracks too; can you wait until I finish all the high speed tracks, and make a Shinkansen version for them?

Glad to hear about the signals too, let's see how do they look like...
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

You are making one fine set there, are Japanese towns really that colorfull ??
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Thanks for the comments and tips sanchimaru! I really appreciate it.

So, here's the REAL final version of the factory...

p.s. has everybody seen my signature? It has my personel Japanset to do list on it.

I'm really looking forward to use the Japanese buildingset soon! I'm recieving my G4 soon, so I can run the DOS TTDpatch on VirtualPC.
Attachments
DenkiKôjô02.png
DenkiKôjô02.png (22.24 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Excellent work, Toni!!

Now I would say that this is a really finely done building! I'm glad that I could help you. You improve your skills very quick.

I can only say that the red letters on the panel might look strange if the panel is CC blue: over certain background colors (namely red) they might not be legible. However, it can really work if you do the following: since the red you use is a bright one, try using the darkest CC blue tones for the background panel. Even if it turns red, it might still result well.

Your list is indeed interesting! You can make the food plant modular; made of different 1 or 2 tiles parts, so that its composition is random, as some original TTD industries (like coal mines)
I see that you are looking forward drawing some trams too: contact stevenh, he has already began working on a japanese tram set, and he has a handful of projects running, so I'm sure that he will appreciate a helping hand from you :D

Spaceman: thanks! actually they are not so much colorful, but they do have a lot of live even at late night hours, and you can always find flashing panels and open locals here and there. There are however some quite colorful buildings: in Aegir's screenshot you can see:

> a few blocks behind the castle and the high skyscrapper there are 2 yellow shops. These exist in reality: it's a huge electronic shops called Yamada Denki. They are all in such yellow and green colors.

> across the street in front of the castle, there is a building with the word "PACHI" on it and a lot of flashing panels: it's a "pachinko" These are very popular slot games in Japan, you can even find people waiting a line at 10:00pm in front of them when a new machine is set. There are here even magazines about pachinko. Despite the pachinko buildings themselves might be dull and with dark glasses, they always feature glowing multi-color neons, flashing panels and japanese style flags (vertical, higher than wide) in front of the building, announcing new machines or special events.

> besides the lake to the right and in top right of the screen, you can see a big building with a lot of multicolor panels. You can see lots of them in Akihabara district, in Tokyo, or in Denden Town district, in Osaka: These districts have a lot of shops of electronic devices, multimedia goods, manga stores with comic books, movies, videogames and figures. There are also a lot of used computer parts workshops, all goods in perfect condition and half the price of a new in-box one. The bigger buildings, as the one in the screenshot, are usually malls with a large variety of goods, precisely the ones announced in the colorful panels at the walls outside.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Sanchimaru wrote:Your list is indeed interesting! You can make the food plant modular; made of different 1 or 2 tiles parts, so that its composition is random, as some original TTD industries (like coal mines)
Industry layouts are not random. The coal mine has 3 or 4 different possible layouts.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Oh, I see! Well, that way might be better, then.

By the way, Aegir, the foundations are ready: These are all the ones found in the file you posted earlier, tell me if they fit well enough.
Attachments
foundations.png
foundations.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Beautiful work, everyone!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Im in love with the roads, the building are awesome, when is the release?I CANNOT WAIT!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I'm glad you liked them!

In the meantime...
I finished the high-speed tracks for the Spanish set (and others too, as French) Check out the Spain set thread to take a look at them.

I decided to make a version for the shinkansen tracks, to make them more accurate to real shinkansen tracks and still looking different enough from the regular tracks.
For this version I painted the sleepers in light brown, as the real tracks usually have concrete sleepers in this color.
This version includes the new tunnels too.
Attachments
shinkantracks.png
shinkantracks.png (81.02 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

To be honest, I'm a bit uncertain about those shinkansen tracks, I'd have to see how they look in-game before I can make my mind up on them.

Anyways, the landscape .grf is just about finished, I have aquired the permission from Pikka, all that is left to do is to put his stone bridges into the .grf and change the road texture over. Then it can be released.

Sanchimaru! Those 4way road junctions are brilliant, it reminds me of an really good scene from an anime that I watch, this tiny little detail really makes the set so much better for me!. And the foundations are working really well, for temperate atleast. I have not checked the other climates.

Anyways, have another screenshot. This time, no TTRS buildings, this is running with _only_ japanset buildings. Looks great, huh?
Attachments
anotherbeautyshot.png
anotherbeautyshot.png (115.25 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Are these compatible with OTTD? I NEED IT BADLY! :shock: The screenshot just looks too awesome!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The tracks, yes. The roads, yes. The bridges, probably. The buildings, no.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

DaleStan wrote:The tracks, yes. The roads, yes. The bridges, probably. The buildings, no.
the buildings are the whole point. the roads etc is just extra
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Nice screenshot! It's looking quite good now!
I'm glad that people seems to like it.
Did you also implement the newest apartment flats and the baseball stadium?

The pedestria crossings were an idea that came suddenly: I realzied that the tiles for city and country were different, so I thought to improve the difference and the feeling by adding pedestrian crossings on every junction.
Those 4 road junctions crossings are something you quite likely can find here in Japan at downtowns, where there are a lot of people going here and there. A X shaped crossing helps you save a lot of time not having to cross twice the road to get to your destination.
One of the properties of japanese manga and anime is that they depict Japan just as it is. The streets, the electricity poles, the drink machines, etc. they are all just as any counterpart of them that you could find anywhere here. Then, people turning into robots, and martial artists jumping over the roofs, that's not so common...
The first time I saw one of these crossings was in the intro of the game Tekken 2, I think.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Aegir wrote:Anyways, have another screenshot. This time, no TTRS buildings, this is running with _only_ japanset buildings. Looks great, huh?
Isn't that tall building on the left a TTRS building? Or is the japan set suposed to have (a) simular building(s)?
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Did you notice the Japanese writing all over the top of it, Xeryus?

Sanchimaru: I haven't yet even recoded that buildings .grf, that's my task for today (Aswell as the railroad signals), I'm still using the old buildings .grf.

Glad everyone likes :).

Return to “Graphics Development”