Suggestions Thread

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Maybe have it as a announcement if a train does not make a delivery in 6/12 months?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

new kind of message?

Train 5 is not profitable
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

The new sort by profit does that :wink:
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Suggestion: Better track laying

Post by CobraA1 »

I hope the the track laying will be better than TTD: In TTD, straight (well, straight relative to the isometric grid) tracks can be layed in long lengths, but diagonal tracks must be layed one at a time. I hope taht TTS will have something better - perhaps like Sim City 2000/3000? Where you can build diagonal roads/tracks without a lot of clicking.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Suggestion: Better track laying

Post by TBOT »

CobraA1 wrote:I hope the the track laying will be better than TTD: In TTD, straight (well, straight relative to the isometric grid) tracks can be layed in long lengths, but diagonal tracks must be layed one at a time. I hope taht TTS will have something better - perhaps like Sim City 2000/3000? Where you can build diagonal roads/tracks without a lot of clicking.
Well known problem :)
In TTS diagonal track can be dragged over a longer distance too.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

What about track removal?

Will that be draggable too?
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Prof. Frink wrote:What about track removal?

Will that be draggable too?
Guess so, if we can make draggable track laying I think that's easy too :).

The actual idea of draggable didn't pop in our minds though. But we did had the idea of a draggable destruction tool.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Chris Sawyers could add drag-remove to TTD, but he didn't because he was to confused by his own code I think ;)
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

eis_os wrote:Chris Sawyers could add drag-remove to TTD, but he didn't because he was to confused by his own code I think ;)
Does that mean it would be possible (but not necessarily easy) to implement via TTDPatch (And yes I know... Wrong forum...)
[Back on topic: TTS suggestions]
Another idea I had while reading this topic was to have 'buildonslopes' as a separate tool (Called "terraces" or something), you would click the tool on a square and it would raise and place the terraces to make it flat without affecting the squares around it, it would then act like normal flat groud, except for the raise/lower land tools.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Naaahhh, I think it's better to just have the terraces automatically built under whatever needs them. Basically it's just the bridges, everything else already works that way in the Patch.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Or maybe you could have the terraces being built automatically if they were required for some operation, but also a tool to build them manually. I don't know how useful that would be, maybe mostly for looks. But it might be possible then to make the terraces stay even after destroying whatever was on top of them, ie. for re-using them. (Not wasting money having first to remove them and then rebuild them shortly after, if you're eg. rebuilding a section of track.)
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris 'Awkward' McKenna »

I notice you talk about compiling ideas on here and your other forum. Havign compiled all the suggestiosn for TM/TE I suggest that if you want this you start sooner rather than later. It takes a surpising amount of time to read, interpret, cehck if it is a duplicate, and then write each idea. The TM suggestions document is the culmination of about 14 hours work all together.

Chris
Anything can be achieved if you don't care who gets the credit
--Author Unknown
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I think we should be able to raise a single square of land wiothout affecting nearby squares, to create cliffs and Flat land on slopes.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

That would be kind of cool but a major disruption of the terraforming code I think.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

krtaylor wrote:That would be kind of cool but a major disruption of the terraforming code I think.
Jup, and not to mention the landscape drawing routines.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Inspired by this thread:
Set trains priority - so if there's two trains waiting at signals a high-priority one will go first, and also will load first at a station.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Prof. Frink wrote:Inspired by this thread:
Set trains priority - so if there's two trains waiting at signals a high-priority one will go first, and also will load first at a station.
That's funny, I've had exactly the same idea yesterday, while I was thinking about the signal handling code (not that it's time for that yet, but I always think in advance).
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't think we want to get too fancy - three levels would suffice. Slow, Medium and Express I think.

Or you could have the game calculate it for you based on the speed sensitivity of whatever was on the trains.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

What about some sort of parallel track laying, where instead of laying a single stretch of track, you could automatically lay two or more stretches side by side. You would have a window where you could set how many tracks to lay, what direction they should have signals pointing in and any other features (classes?). These setttings could also apply to tunnels/bridges/etc. It would make it a lot easier to build multi-rail track. :idea: :?:

questions, comments, doubts, worries, concerns ???
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I know what you mean, but I don't think that's the best way to do it, because you would be completely redesigning the track building interface. How would you handle all the possible permutaions? I think the right solution is to keep it as it is, one track per square, but since the map is bigger you can make the distance between cities, industries, etc. greater. Thus the effect would be the same, more room for stuff. Of course the station catchment areas are going to be larger, that's already a given.

Return to “Transport Unlimited”