NEW Transport game Cities In Motion

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Cities in Motion - new TT Clone

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

http://kotaku.com/5617401/its-transport-tycoon-for-the-21st-century wrote:One of the dorkiest genres in all of PC gaming has got to be transport infrastructure management. Transport Tycoon and Sid Meier's Railroads are the giants of the genre, and they're soon to be joined by Cities In Motion.

Developed by Colossal Order and published by Paradox, masters of the hardcore strategy field, Cities In Motion is a public transport management simulator. How much you'll get out of the game, then, depends on how interesting you find that particular subject.

Cities in Motion is set in Western Europe, and spans the years 1920-2020, meaning you'll start with steam trains and wind-up automobiles and finish up with buses, electric rail and...water buses.

It sounds boring as hell, but public transport is a tricky - and important - business, so a game dedicated to getting it right could be fun. Especially when it looks as charming as this does. It'll be out on PC in early 2011.
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cities in Motion - new TT Clone

Post by CommanderZ »

Looks like there will be only 4 predefined cities (maps?). Sucks. It looks beautiful (except trees) though.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

.... and "over 30 vehicles". So probably 31 then!!!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

Transportmanagement would probably be less dorky or "boring as hell", if gamedesigners would try to design a more complete/complex economic model (I mean for example more or less productive industries and a satisfying supply and demand model with a pricing system, the whole chain from rawmaterials over production and storage to retail and competition). Especially Public Mass Transportation is without interesting potential in my opinion: You just connect a few busy places and you are done. :|
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Found some more screenshots from GameSpot:
http://gamescom.gamespot.com/image_view ... %3Bthumb;1

It looks impressive but the size of the maps is rather... Well I think you can tell. One city covers most of one map.
Whilst the cities certainly do look mighty impressive compared with their old TT counterpart, it does look like we don't get a lot of space to play around in.

Though I am curious where aircraft and trains go to. The railway lines appear to go off the edge of the map. Perhaps it works like SimCity.
Hopefully there will be a demo sometime in the future :) I'd like to try it out.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

I don't see no real train tracks nor do I see any signals :(
Signals are mandatory, period

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

It all looks a bit toytown for me. Especially the trains. Proof graphics =! better.
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Looks like someone let them get hold of the old TTD demo which only lets you play in toyland, and they thought it was a good idea to remake just that.
Oh well, at least it saves us from having to make Toyland 'playable'... if that's even possible.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Gremnon wrote:Looks like someone let them get hold of the old TTD demo which only lets you play in toyland, and they thought it was a good idea to remake just that.
Oh well, at least it saves us from having to make Toyland 'playable'... if that's even possible.
Grass is a bit bright, but what else looks like Toyland? IMO graphics is awesome. Especially water. Well, it's not like Crysis, but it's much better than other games of this genre.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

Looks shat if you ask me.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Dave Worley wrote:Looks shat if you ask me.
D:

:-/

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

To be honest, it seems to be mixing up Industry Giant with the scale of Traffic Giant. They must have at least played TTD or one of it's offshoots here and realised they cannot make a game on a big a scale as say, the largest OTTD map.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I didn't mean so much the graphics when I said it was a remake of toyland - but I have to agree with Dave. It looks terrible.
I can see bits of it that look like they were taken from Locomotion, OpenTTD, Simutrans and Simcity, stuck into a blender, and mixed into some horrible hybrid monstrosity.
That, and it looks far to cartoon-ey to me on top.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Gremnon wrote:I didn't mean so much the graphics when I said it was a remake of toyland - but I have to agree with Dave. It looks terrible.
I can see bits of it that look like they were taken from Locomotion, OpenTTD, Simutrans and Simcity, stuck into a blender, and mixed into some horrible hybrid monstrosity.
That, and it looks far to cartoon-ey to me on top.
I dunno, I think graphics is just fine.

Just noticed, that video looks really horrible D:

I watched this one.

-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

Drury wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:Looks shat if you ask me.
D:

:-/
Just my opinion. Give me pseudo-isometric 2D games with full traffic management any day of the week over this shiny rubbish. You can polish a turd, but only so much.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen - Dave Worley, telling it the way it is, since always.
X.G.fr0sty
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by X.G.fr0sty »

Graphics look good, like a simcity 6 or 7 (concept)...but surly its got to get some sort of make maker.. and I wonder how large the maps can be.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Personally I think it will not be good TT continuation.
Game looks similar to Traffic Giant IMHO (which was not THAT bad but had no way to fight TT)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

The developers openly stated that they know what TT is. My question is, why didn't they simply copy it. Granted it would not be original. But it would work and also look pretty.

Instead we get this...

This is kind of like Blizzard and it's horrible piece of crap BattleNet 2.0, 1.0 worked so they decided to ignore it and went with the crap we have now.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

It's the nature of developers like them to fix things that aren't broken. I haven't found many Blizzard productions that couldn't be considered broken in at least a dozen ways for some time.

Return to “Off-Topic”