Multiplayer server not appearing in server list

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Take One
Engineer
Engineer

Multiplayer server not appearing in server list

Post by Take One »

This isn't really the kind of post I should be writing as my first post and I know this question has been asked a hundred times before, but I am having issues with starting a server online. I've scoured all the threads on this forum I can find about the problem but haven't found a solution for it.

So far, I've ensured that the option is set to broadcast my server to the server list when I launch it and I know that I have enough bandwidth to support it. I've made sure that both Windows Firewall and my other firewall allow in- and outbound connections for openttd.exe and that my router is forwarding the port range used by the game. I'm able to join online games just fine. I've also tried using Hamachi but the other person I'm trying to set up the server for (for a private game) can't handle Hamachi on their bandwidth, somehow, but they do have enough bandwidth to play OTTD online (but, seemingly, not enough to host), so Hamachi isn't an option. My server still isn't appearing to them in the server list no matter how long I wait, and manually adding my IP results in their client finding the right information, apart from the server name, and saying that the server is offline, even though it obviously isn't.

Is there anything else I might be able to do to get it working?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Multiplayer server not appearing in server list

Post by Eddi »

make sure you forwarded both TCP and UDP on the right port.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Hey I've (possibly) got the same issue, when I start a dedicated server, initially the master server can contact my server, but after a while it starts whining it isn't receiving an ack. I'm still looking into the issue, but so far haven't found the problem.
ottd_issue_nat.PNG
ottd_issue_nat.PNG (18.88 KiB) Viewed 953 times
ottd_issue_firewall.PNG
ottd_issue_firewall.PNG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Registration to the master server happens in two steps. In the first step it gets an unique ID so all IP addresses you try to register are mapped to the same server. This is what works for you.

In the second step you actually try to register. OpenTTD's master server will only register you when the master server can connect to your server on the port it registers. This is what fails. It also means that somewhere port forwarding is set up incorrectly or there is a firewall blocking the packets. I'm not familiar with the routing/firewalling hardware/software you have, so I can't tell whether there's something wrong with that. Though arguably you've forgotten some step, or you have two routers and are only forwarding at one. E.g. you have bought a NAT-ing router which you configured but your cable/DSL modem acts as a NAT-ing router.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Hmm ok, as I said, still looking into the issue, however three questions:
1- what does last_port in the cfg mean? Forum search and the wiki page don't help out.
2- how does this issue relate to users being able to contact the server(see attached screen shot)?
ottd_server.PNG
(64.33 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
edit:As this shows, after a restart of the server both steps in the server register process work, I have not changed anything to the router.
ottd_server_2.PNG
ottd_server_2.PNG (25.58 KiB) Viewed 11095 times
edit2:Now that I think of it, of course it's possible that the clients have remembered my ip+port, however, I guess that's rather unlikely as the issues was on at least for a night.

edit3:
server_log_combined.PNG
(358.64 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
To show it starts failing in like 15 minutes or so, the following server log. Colourful blocks are used to show where screen shots overlap. I know most likely the issue is somewhere in my network set-up, I just haven't been able to figure out why / where.
Take One
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Take One »

Hmm, thanks. I had it forwarding TCP and UDP (D-Link routers are so weird) but I've expanded it to open both 3978 and 3979 just in case. I'm going to see what happens when my friend is able to test it in a few hours (annoyingly) and then, of course, post the findings.

EDIT: Nice to see my thread was hijacked while I was gone. O..o
Take One
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Take One »

Alright, sorry for the double post but I've made sure ports 3978 and 3979 are forwarded correctly and aren't being blocked by any firewalls. We just checked if my server will show up now and it still won't. Considering what else I've already done to make sure it will connect properly, I'm completely stumped on what the problem is. I'm having an identical problem with another game (ZDaemon) where my server won't show up in the server list but I'm not having that problem in other games. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could do?
Gummipalle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gummipalle »

So I've got a problem too... I am a total noob and dont understand all this talk of ports and strange things... Is there a guide for dummies somewhere that explains how to start a new multiplayer game?

When my friend and I want to play together, we can only join other games. Each time we create one, it doesnt appear on the server list.
How do we fix this?

Need instructions like "navigate to yaadayada, open yadayada, and click on yadayada"...

Using XP on one and Vista on the other...

I've tried reading online but its too technical.....
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Gummipalle wrote:I've tried reading online but its too technical.....
Without that it won't work. If you know the ports, everything else depends on your computer, your OS and your networking hardware / modems. We can hardly guess that. And we cannot read for you. "Just" open the ports in both your computer's and your router's / modem's fire walls. Both of you.
OpenTTD uses TCP and UDP port 3979 for server <-> client communication, UDP port 3978 for masterserver (advertise) communication (outbound), and TCP port 3978 for content service, a.k.a. BaNaNaS (outbound)
Gummipalle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gummipalle »

Firewalls are disabled... :-)

...I can join others, they just dont see me....?

What does "router is forwarding the port range used by the game" mean, and how do I set my router thing? using xp...
Gummipalle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gummipalle »

GOT IT! ..... Man that was tricky! THNX for the reply though...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Gummipalle wrote:GOT IT! ..... Man that was tricky! THNX for the reply though...
Now, you would help possibly others if you described in details both your setup and your way to successfully solve your issue. Make screenshots to illustrate your case - the information that there is _a_ way is... something most people know ;-)

This question gets asked literally every week and every answer has to be different due to different routers etc pp, so it might still serve as guide for others.
Gummipalle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gummipalle »

Sure i could do a guide! But where do I post it?
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

select either or both:
a) here
b) http://wiki.openttd.org
Take One
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Take One »

Alright, sorry for the bump but I am still having a problem. I'm getting the feeling that it's going to get to the point where no one actually knows how to fix this. I actually now have no firewalls running at the moment, have the correct ports forwarded (of which I know because I tested them), and it's still not appearing in the list. I've tried letting the server run for about an hour before having someone check if it's there. I know it's not my bandwidth or connection speed because I know people who are worse off with both and their servers still appear in the list and... it's a long shot, but I know there are a lot of other people running servers in the same country as me, so I know that's not the problem. I'm completely lost as to what might be happening, now.

EDIT: I should probably elaborate a little. I tried launching a dedicated server and it said "we are not receiving the acknowledgement from the server" and told me to allow UDP and TCP on port 3979. I know it's doubtful that anyone can give me help with the router, but I've set it to allow both inbound and outbound, TCP and UDP on 3979 so either there's another problem that isn't the router, firewall or connection or I need to get a new router.
Last edited by Take One on 07 Jan 2011 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Compare your port to the two ports needed, most notably the advertising port for communication with the master server:
OpenTTD uses TCP and UDP port 3979 for server <-> client communication, UDP port 3978 for masterserver (advertise) communication (outbound), and TCP port 3978 for content service, a.k.a. BaNaNaS (outbound)
And actually the nightlies can accept on port 3977 incoming admin control connections.
Take One
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Take One »

planetmaker wrote:Compare your port to the two ports needed, most notably the advertising port for communication with the master server:
And actually the nightlies can accept on port 3977 incoming admin control connections.
Yeah, I'd check that out if the other people I'm trying to play with would use the nightlies. Actually, I just tested the ports again with a more reliable tester and it's coming back negative, so it is my router. Thank you very much for the help but there's nothing more that can be done from the forum so I'm going to go and find out what's wrong with it.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”