Transporting materials via Truck -> Ship -> Truck

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

fibbo
Engineer
Engineer

Transporting materials via Truck -> Ship -> Truck

Post by fibbo »

I hope this question is not covered somewhere obvious. If thats the case I apologize.

Anyway, here it goes:

Say you have a forest near a big sea and on the other side of the sea you have a lumber mill. So the forest is not close enough to work with a harbor only.
Is it possible to make a connected truck station at the harbor and somehow unload the wood from a truck into a waiting boat which then will bring the wood across the sea and transfer it into another truck which delivers it then to the lumber mill?

I tried it with "transfer and leave empty" at the harbor/truck station but I just get the money there from transporting the wood the distance and nothing gets loaded onto the ship.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Transporting materials via Truck -> Ship -> Truck

Post by PikkaBird »

Is the ship fitted to carry wood?

Are the truck stop and the dock the same station?
fibbo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fibbo »

I'm pretty sure I selected wood on the tab down when I bought the ship, and definitely yes to the second. Going to recheck the ship though.

Thanks for the answer already :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

It usually helps to post screenshots and additionally also a savegame.
fibbo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fibbo »

Thanks for the hint planetmaker, will do so next time.

And PikkaBird was right: I hadnt fitted the ship. I assumed buying a ship which shows up under the wood tab would be sufficient for it to transport wood :)

Another question though now: Does building connected stations have a maximum range? What makes me wonder is that you can have a looooong road from the truck station to the connected harbor, then a short crossing over a river and again a loooong road to the truck station at the lumber mill. Since the ship loads wood from the harbor even though there isnt any truck driving from station->harbor you could save yourself a lot of trouble by just connecting the stations of long distances (same for unloading the wood to the lumbermill later).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, there's a limit how far the parts may be apart. it's under advanced settings called "station spread", default value is 12 tiles.
Italexis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Italexis »

Hoping these forums are still frequented...

I'm having a similar problem (all this is in the Northern corner of the map
woodshipping1.png
(674.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
)where I have a forest in Niganiche that I want to send wood from
woodshipping2.png
(1.14 MiB) Not downloaded yet
, to Bais-des-Espagnols across the bay east-south-eastward, where there's a sawmill.

The carriages on each end of that ship journey can't go to their respective docks with/for the wood however, for some reason. I have the ship and both carriages all fitted for wood, so I'm at a loss.

I don't quite understand the implications of station spread(as mentioned by Eddi) since I'm so new to the game, so I may be missing something there.

Save file attached below for further clarifiation, if needed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

As far as I can tell, your road vehicle depot isn't connected to the road. The depot faces a sloped road sideways, and it can't connect the road that way.

Additionally, some road vehicle types can't go to some station types. In specific, articulated vehicles can't go to bay-type stations, they can only use drive-through type stations. The road vehicle is covered up by the error message in your screenshot, so I can't tell from it, but it looks like the station is a bay-type station, so that might also be part of the problem.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”