[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Big GUI (Double Sized GUI) [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Big GUI (Double Sized GUI) [WIP]

Post by Lord Aro »

AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Ihmemies
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ihmemies »

Thanks for making this GRF! Finally with your mod + proper scaling, font support & zoom levels I can play OpenTTD. I've had 2560x1600 display for a couple of years and it was not possible to play at all because everything was so small.
BlackArchon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlackArchon »

Hi there,

I'm using OpenTTD 1.2.3 x64 on Windows 7, but I can't get the Big GUI working. I downloaded it ingame and it's in the "Active NewGRF files" (see screenshot). I tried GUI sizes 1.5 and 2, without any effect. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
biggui.jpg
biggui.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

It won't apply to a running game (loaded save game), have you tried starting a new game?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
BlackArchon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlackArchon »

Oh! You are right. So there isn't a way to use the bigger GUI with savegames?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

BlackArchon wrote:Oh! You are right. So there isn't a way to use the bigger GUI with savegames?
There is a way, take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=53881 and http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 48#p913148
Read up and be aware of the consequences.

Better advice below :).
Last edited by Supercheese on 08 Feb 2013 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

BlackArchon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlackArchon »

Ok, thank you! :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is an easier (and safer) way, open your "openttd.cfg" and put the biggui grf under "[newgrf-static]", then it will be used in all your old savegames and in multiplayer games that you join (note that this will only work with GRFs like biggui, which are graphical only)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Eddi wrote:there is an easier (and safer) way, open your "openttd.cfg" and put the biggui grf under "[newgrf-static]", then it will be used in all your old savegames and in multiplayer games that you join (note that this will only work with GRFs like biggui, which are graphical only)
Oh, this grf is static-able, that's good to know.
This is much better advice. :)

BlackArchon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlackArchon »

Eddi wrote:there is an easier (and safer) way, open your "openttd.cfg" and put the biggui grf under "[newgrf-static]", then it will be used in all your old savegames and in multiplayer games that you join (note that this will only work with GRFs like biggui, which are graphical only)
Thank you, it works fine! :)
Lord_Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lord_Silver »

This is great Zephyris, thank you for doing this big GUI. But... it has a little bug, if you can fix it.
Attachments
bug.jpg
bug.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've received report of similar bug in railroad icons
the first 4 railway track icons for the Electrified Railway are incorrectly ordered and the first icon looks like a mini icon
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-09-14-07-36-56-2120120711.png
(802.58 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

Hi, I want to report the same bug. It is in android version and windows as well. I tried it with classic opengfx and with zBase. The same problem...
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file. ... &id=179870
Attachments
2014-07-26-15-15-06.png
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by planetmaker on 27 Jul 2014 02:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: un-inlined giant image which breaks page layout
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

And one more thing - the big upper panel is good but is it possible to modify fonts and other menu and graphics as well? I play the game in 1920x1200 on 24" monitor, the game looks great but if I want to overview my vehicles and their income, I need to look from 30 cm and still have problems :( And I can also only guess what kind of truck, plane or locomotive it is. Could you make this in some way adjustable independently on basic resolution (main graphics can be always zoomed if needed, menu can't :( ) ?

Pelya has in android version option to enhance this...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

tomas.lizner wrote:Hi, I want to report the same bug. It is in android version and windows as well. I tried it with classic opengfx and with zBase. The same problem...
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file. ... &id=179870
which version of OpenGFX+BigGUI do you use? The newest version on bananas, 2.0.0 does not have that issue for me.
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

Foobar: Thanks. It works and I will remember this. But as I have mentioned Pelya has made a menu in which you can choose the size of fonts directly in the game. For players would be more comfortable to set it that way instead of editing cfg (and asking dumb questions here how to change it like me... :-) ).

Planetmaker: You're right, my version was v1. In 2.0 it is fixed. But it is strange, I downloaded the game 3 days ago and I think Big GUI v1 was already pre-installed? Or I downloaded it through bananas? I don't remember now. Anyway I didn't installed it in any non-standard way.
I noticed the game is checking installed graphics after start. It would be good if it would also check all installed stuff from bananas for new updates. And then automatic download of these updates of course.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

tomas.lizner wrote:Foobar: Thanks. It works and I will remember this. But as I have mentioned Pelya has made a menu in which you can choose the size of fonts directly in the game. For players would be more comfortable to set it that way instead of editing cfg (and asking dumb questions here how to change it like me... :-) ).

Planetmaker: You're right, my version was v1. In 2.0 it is fixed. But it is strange, I downloaded the game 3 days ago and I think Big GUI v1 was already pre-installed? Or I downloaded it through bananas? I don't remember now. Anyway I didn't installed it in any non-standard way.
I noticed the game is checking installed graphics after start. It would be good if it would also check all installed stuff from bananas for new updates. And then automatic download of these updates of course.
OpenTTD ships without any NewGRFs pre-installed. It might be different for the Android version, that changes a few things which I don't know; one might be that OpenGFX+BigGUI is pre-configured.
You can easily update all stuff you have by visiting the main menu -> online content -> upgrade. Though that doesn't upgrade the used NewGRFs. And indeed you'll have to edit your openttd.cfg if you configured a static NewGRF, thus a NewGRF which only changes some static graphics like GUI and doesn't change gameplay (which you might have done at some earlier time, adding OpenGFX+BigGUI). When you simply re-install OpenTTD the config file is not overwritten, thus any such config will be kept.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Will this be updated or there's another similar NewGRF that can replace this?
I am Limyx826.

Return to “Graphics Development”