Hungarian GRF Pack

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Hungarian GRF Pack

Post by norbert79 »

Updated last: Friday, 10th of September, 2010

Hungarian GRF Pack

I would like to create 5 different GRF packs, which would be based on hungarian constructions, trucks/buses, surroundings, etc. My plan is of having at the end of five different GRF packs, which would be:

Hungarian roads with trucks/buses/cars/trams - (This would include a total replacement of vehicles and trams)
Hungarian stations/rails for railway/monorail/maglev - (This would replace all stations including the stations, platforms, and trains with wagons, and signals as well)
Hungarian Airways - (Basically similar to the Aviators set, but including planes which were used by Hungary too)
Hungarian ships/docks - (Ships, docks)
Hungarian Total Town Replacement - (Focusing on Hungarian types of houses, roads, and other common buildings)

Since this is my first GRF development, I am starting from scratch, including learning how GRF's are working. It is a huge project, and will take a while, but I really would like to finish at least one of these. I would appreciate every help. My first focus is on Hungarian Total Town Replacement, starting with blockhouses/condos. I will keep this entry updated!
Last edited by norbert79 on 10 Sep 2010 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Üdvözlettel / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards:
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
Brumi
President
President

Re: OpenTTD.info Hungarian Fansite

Post by Brumi »

I don't really understand what your initiative is... Under 'merging the Hungarian fansite with the official forum of OpenTTD' do you mean that we will have an official thread of the Hungarian fansite over here?
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

Brumi wrote:I don't really understand what your initiative is... Under 'merging the Hungarian fansite with the official forum of OpenTTD' do you mean that we will have an official thread of the Hungarian fansite over here?
That was exactly the idea. I really think, that fragmenting the same community to two websites is not a very good idea, but just merging everything doesn't make sense neither. This entry would be a bridge between the two, the only disadvantage would be the need of writing in English.
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

norbert79 wrote: Hungarian roads with trucks/buses/cars/trams - (This would include a total replacement of roads and vehicles and trams)
Hungarian stations/rails for railway/monorail/maglev - (This would replace all stations including the stations, platforms, and trains with wagons, and signals as well)
Hungarian Airways - (Basically similar to the Aviators set, but including planes which were used by Hungary too)
Hungarian ships/docks - (I think this is self explanatory)
Hungarian Total Town Replacement - (Focusing on Hungarian types of houses, and other common buildings)
Unifying those things to a NewGRF each certainly might be a good idea. Best done though, by taking the initiative yourself, contacting the artists and authors and get going (you can even start without having consent from everyone, you just may not publish before and have a bit of a risk to having let go some parts).
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

planetmaker wrote:
norbert79 wrote: Hungarian roads with trucks/buses/cars/trams - (This would include a total replacement of roads and vehicles and trams)
Hungarian ships/docks - (I think this is self explanatory)
Hungarian Total Town Replacement - (Focusing on Hungarian types of houses, and other common buildings)
Unifying those things to a NewGRF each certainly might be a good idea. Best done though, by taking the initiative yourself, contacting the artists and authors and get going (you can even start without having consent from everyone, you just may not publish before and have a bit of a risk to having let go some parts).
That's what I had in my mind, thank you for the advices! I would like to first ask the opinion of the artists and the community, if they are interested in such option. If I don't get enough replies, I think I will start with the project on my own, and hope others might join later on...
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yeah it needs someone to pickup the coding work and someone potentially to draw.

If you've never coded anything, I can adivise you to take a took at NML (download link). That will make the start a lot easier than starting with NFO as you can programme the NewGRF in high-level language rather than single bytes and hex codes.

EDIT: there's 1 1/2 NewGRFs I know which are (already) written in NML: SwedishRails and OpenGFX+. The latter contains also a few vehicles.
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

Thank you! That will be a big help for the start, yet I don't feel uncomfortable with Hexa codes neither. :) But I need to start somewhere. Both coding and graphics won't be a problem, since I also love to draw a lot, but time which is the biggest issue for me.
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The poll is a bit silly though. With me being not Hungarian and all, I don't understand what's on the openttd.info website anyways. So a link between that and this isn't of any use to me at all. That will probably be true for most of the people here, but a topic as this might be interesting to people who can actually read Hungarian.

So I voted 'no', but I think it's fine to have a topic here. Just don't be surprised if the poll results are not what you expected :wink:
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

FooBar wrote:The poll is a bit silly though. With me being not Hungarian and all, I don't understand what's on the openttd.info website anyways. So a link between that and this isn't of any use to me at all. That will probably be true for most of the people here, but a topic as this might be interesting to people who can actually read Hungarian.

So I voted 'no', but I think it's fine to have a topic here. Just don't be surprised if the poll results are not what you expected :wink:
Ok, let me try to explain: the Hungarian community has it's own website, called http://www.openttd.info, with plenty of people there, having it's on forum and everything else. But since OpenTTD has it's own website, it doesn't make too much sense to fragment the two communities, yet I also understand, that many Hungarians do not speak English at all.
Yet for all the core members, who also speak English I think a bridge between the official page and the other one would be useful. I personally think there shouldn't be any separated webpage at all, since OpenTTD has it's goal having everything at one place, since the community is alive, and working.

I think this entry has it's value, and most important for you guys too, who would like to be in contact with the community outside the UK/US/whatever country you live in, being informed about events (if there will be any), news from Hungary, etc. It's also a problem, that many Hungarian add-ons are not being uploaded to BaNaNas at all, and are only are available per manual download, making it complicated connecting to any Hungarian games involving those add-ons. I really want to create a centralized point to these as well...

If I would fail with this initiative I would still use this entry for this new project I had in my mind, even if there will be no support from the Hungarian side...
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I don't think this is a good idea. You are only going to fill the "View new posts" with funny words for me :)
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

CommanderZ wrote:I don't think this is a good idea. You are only going to fill the "View new posts" with funny words for me :)
Like... English? :D
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

If you mean that you want to merge your own forum with tt-forums, then this is something that was proposed once between tt-forums and the German forum, several years ago (and nearly went ahead, too). However, there would be issues with regards to things like moderation and administration, and it could end up being potentially confusing. A "separate" hu.tt-forums.net site with a shared user database or something might be a bit more practical, but we'd have to see.

For what it's worth, I can't currently access your site anyway, so I can't judge what may or may not be possible or practical.
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

orudge wrote:If you mean that you want to merge your own forum with tt-forums, then this is something that was proposed once between tt-forums and the German forum, several years ago (and nearly went ahead, too). However, there would be issues with regards to things like moderation and administration, and it could end up being potentially confusing. A "separate" hu.tt-forums.net site with a shared user database or something might be a bit more practical, but we'd have to see.

For what it's worth, I can't currently access your site anyway, so I can't judge what may or may not be possible or practical.
Owen, not at all. Let me explain this different, hope you can understand my intention then: My idea was very simple: there is a Hungarian website, but since the OpenTTD project is based on this website, having two different forums makes the whole Hungarian fan community fragmented. TT-Forums is the main forum of this game, but the Hungarian community makes also regular updates on different topics, like add-ons, or news, which never appear, or can appear on this forum, since many of these news are in Hungarian only.

So idea was simple: Having this one entry in the forums can make the topic as a 'bridge' between the Hungarian website and news by making manual entries on these news in English. If the users are indeed interested on having their news released in English as well, and making them seen by other users too they can just upload their latest updates here as an entry, and if they need support regarding translation, I can help them out. This topic would been acting as a contact point between the English community and the Hungarian fans. (This is why my idea on the 5 GRF's too, as a collection of all ideas coming from the Hungarian fans)

I guess I failed badly with this intention as it seems, I think I will just close up this entry, as it makes no sense, since noone really showed any interest so far. I guess the idea was good, but it needs a different approach. I think I will just concentrate on my idea of those 5 GRF's and start working on them.

P.S.: It seems, that the Hungarian is indeed down. Weird, it worked pretty well last week. Let's hope it comes back online soon.
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, well, if it's just a topic announcing new releases of your graphics and so on, then I see no problem with that! Though it would probably be better to put such a topic in the Graphics Releases forum, rather than this one.
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

orudge wrote:Ah, well, if it's just a topic announcing new releases of your graphics and so on, then I see no problem with that! Though it would probably be better to put such a topic in the Graphics Releases forum, rather than this one.
Owen,

Thank you, will try to do so, though I have some issues finding the right option to rename this topic, or being able to move it.
Is there a way of renaming it to "Hungarian GRF Pack" and to move it to the Graphic Releases Forum?
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

norbert79 wrote: Thank you, will try to do so, though I have some issues finding the right option to rename this topic, or being able to move it.
Is there a way of renaming it to "Hungarian GRF Pack" and to move it to the Graphic Releases Forum?
You can rename a topic you started by editing the title of the first posting. You cannot move your threads except by kindly asking a moderator to do so.
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Hungarian GRF Pack

Post by norbert79 »

Moderators/Administrators!

May I ask one of the current active moderators to help me out please, and move this topic to the Graphic Releases Forum?
Thank you for your kind help in advance!
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

norbert79 wrote: Hungarian roads with trucks/buses/cars/trams
Buses are done largely with the Ikarus Set and I'm working on trucks and trams, so you don't have to work with these.
Hungarian stations/rails for railway/monorail/maglev- (This would replace all stations including the stations, platforms, and trains with wagons, and signals as well)
I'm working on a complete hungarian train set (except monorail and maglev), so only the rails (are the hungarian rails is so different from the existing rail sets?) and the stations (newstations and ISR is almos fully cover the hungarian station types, may a few typical buildings need, but I think it could b the best if it will fit with the newstations) remains to you. And there is already a hungarian signal set somewhere.
Hungarian Total Town Replacement - (Focusing on Hungarian types of houses, roads, and other common buildings)
It has been started a half year ago as Hungarian City set (look after it at the hungarian fansite), but it still contains only one concrete slab house, but there's some other drawings complete (some by me).
Roads are done, unfortunately it have an incompatibility problem, so that need to be fixed, and AFAIK there is another hungarian road set in WIP, so there are nothing to do.
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

colossal404 wrote:
norbert79 wrote: Hungarian roads with trucks/buses/cars/trams
Buses are done largely with the Ikarus Set and I'm working on trucks and trams, so you don't have to work with these.
Hungarian stations/rails for railway/monorail/maglev- (This would replace all stations including the stations, platforms, and trains with wagons, and signals as well)
I'm working on a complete hungarian train set (except monorail and maglev), so only the rails (are the hungarian rails is so different from the existing rail sets?) and the stations (newstations and ISR is almos fully cover the hungarian station types, may a few typical buildings need, but I think it could b the best if it will fit with the newstations) remains to you. And there is already a hungarian signal set somewhere.
It has been started a half year ago as Hungarian City set (look after it at the hungarian fansite), but it still contains only one concrete slab house, but there's some other drawings complete (some by me).
Roads are done, unfortunately it have an incompatibility problem, so that need to be fixed, and AFAIK there is another hungarian road set in WIP, so there are nothing to do.
Thank you. Are also the sources available for these? I want to have them as one pack, like trains together with new stations, new track elements, etc... Hungarian Total Town Replacement - Thats not only about roads, it's about every scenery elements, like new chimney's, antenna's, houses, and roads too.

Same goes for every each GRF. That's why I would like to have the sources if possible, and if the license makes it also available. This project would be GPL2, so if the license does not allow full merge I have to redo everything on my own.
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

I failed to find the release, might it be possible to post a link on first post.?

Return to “Graphics Development”