What's the easiest way to open an existing newgrf and...

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanielZKlein
Engineer
Engineer

What's the easiest way to open an existing newgrf and...

Post by DanielZKlein »

I'm trying to open the Altered_Costs_And_Prices newgrf and adjust some of these costs and prices myself, and it's giving me a huge headache. Can this really be quite so difficult?

I've come as far as extracting the grf with grfcodec, which gives me a (seemingly) empty .pcx and an .nfo file which admonishes me not to change it. So what do I do from here? Do I change that .nfo? Do I use the absolutely arcane and incomprehensible GRFTutorial (http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... RFTutorial) as my guide? Is there really no other way? I just want to tweak some simple numbers!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What's the easiest way to open an existing newgrf and...

Post by michael blunck »

DanielZKlein wrote:[...] So what do I do from here? [...] I just want to tweak some simple numbers!
Well, you´ll simply have to modify the base costs.

Then recompile the nfo with grfcodec.

HTH
regards
Michael
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What's the easiest way to open an existing newgrf and...

Post by Zephyris »

DanielZKlein wrote:Do I change that .nfo?
Yes
DanielZKlein wrote:Do I use the absolutely arcane and incomprehensible GRFTutorial (http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... RFTutorial) as my guide?
Yes
DanielZKlein wrote:Is there really no other way?
Yes
DanielZKlein wrote:I just want to tweak some simple numbers!
That is all you have to do, unfortunately the numbers are in hexadecimal and you have to pick the right ones in the .nfo to modify :)

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”