Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:One could create a NewObjects Newgrf which allows bridges being built over them. This could mimic a similar thing maybe...
You could, but I don't think it would look right, especially for any bridges that have supports, wires, etc. But, now that I think about it, you could have a NewObject placed on a slope, and just have a raised section of ground. You would need to fill in the grass on the sides of the road/rail too.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

You wouldn't need a new bridge GRF, just build a dam and place the roads/traintracks, etc on that. And on the edges comes the dam grf you made. It would be nice if there are 4 ways to place the dam, because not all roads go from west to east. I've placed an example below:
Attachments
dam01.png
dam01.png (97.59 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ooh, I forgot somebody had built a test NewObject from some of the older sprites. That actually looks fairly decent. The sprites are far from complete for even just that one view, I still have three other views to build :-)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well I've been doing some work. Coding and drawing is difficult (my very first attempt at both) and I've got some ideas to make it a bit more realistic, but I came up with a GRF that enables me to build this:
Attachments
deltawerken01.png
deltawerken01.png (34.87 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
deltawerken02.png
deltawerken02.png (45.39 KiB) Viewed 4929 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Well, those sprites are horrible. I had some better ones drawn up, but I've now apparently lost them and I didn't think to post them here. I've got this screenshot where you can look for inspiration if you like. Considering your recently images you've posted, I think lowering the top of the dam so that it's level with the road/rail surface would be a good idea.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

kamnet wrote:Well, those sprites are horrible. I had some better ones drawn up, but I've now apparently lost them and I didn't think to post them here. I've got this screenshot where you can look for inspiration if you like. Considering your recently images you've posted, I think lowering the top of the dam so that it's level with the road/rail surface would be a good idea.
And, by that I mean that *MY* sprites are horrible. Your rotation of my sprites was dead on, good job. I apologize for not being more clear.

I found my missing sprites (I *DID* post them here, just lost track!), and I'm working on cleaning them up a bit today. These were made to fit on a sloped tile, so if you can work with rotating the rest of the directions, that would be beautiful.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

No problem! :D I'll be looking forward to what you have drawn!

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OK, here it is, and I'm giving up on it! I suck at shading, but I think this has the right angle needed. It SHOULD be built on a slope. The top of the dam may be slightly higher than road surface. I'm not sure but you may need to shorten the width to make it fit right. Feel free to manipulate it however you wish, I'm putting it in Public Domain.
Attachments
hydrodam-8.pcx
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Any chance for a .png file? My browser doesn't really know how to handle .pcx :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Purno wrote:Any chance for a .png file? My browser doesn't really know how to handle .pcx :P
What, you can edit pixels in your browser now? Fancy stuff! :P (alternately, just right-click and select "Save as...")

Or, FINE... *sighs* I'll upload a freakin' PNG... pixel snobs... :twisted: :wink:
hydrodam-8.png
hydrodam-8.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
The older version, in case you like the tall top.
The older version, in case you like the tall top.
hydrodam-6.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I didn't realize uploading PNGs was *that* much effort. It makes viewing the sprites a lot easier, *sigh* but next time I'll just ignore them instead of saying "they look nice, but shouldn't there be water flowing down in the second sprite?".
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:
Purno wrote:Any chance for a .png file? My browser doesn't really know how to handle .pcx :P
(...)
Especially as there's no single good reason to use the ugly pcx file format at *any* stage in NewGRF development.... grfcodec reads and writes png files just fine. If it doesn't you missed several releases of grfcodec.

And yes, I usually can't be bothered to employ "save-as", then locate the download folder, then search for the actual file and then start gimp to actually look at a sprite which I don't yet even know either ;-)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

planetmaker wrote:And yes, I usually can't be bothered to employ "save-as", then locate the download folder, then search for the actual file and then start gimp to actually look at a sprite which I don't yet even know either ;-)
You could also employ the "open with" feature from the download dialog of your browser. My browser automatically suggest to open the pcx file with whatever application my operating system has associated with pcx files.

Still, I cannot be bothered myself to open pcx files just for viewing, as said associated application happens to be Photoshop. And that just takes too long to load just for viewing purposes. And usually I can't be bothered to change that association to something that loads quicker. In fact, I never bothered to change that ever :P

So yes, I prefer png as well :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:(...) In fact, I never bothered to change that ever :P (...)
Yes, that's why :-P. And the (long) start-up time of gimp would even then give the same reasoning as you outlined with photoshop ;-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

(Hopefully everybody realizes I'm just yanking your chains and having fun, I didn't intend to start a serious discussion on the merits of PCX vs. PNG or about anybody's PC habits 8) )
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Inspired by your work, I came up with my version of the Dutch Delta works.
Attachments
dutchdeltaworks.png
dutchdeltaworks.png (103.5 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
oosterschelde.jpg
oosterschelde.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 4445 times

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:(Hopefully everybody realizes I'm just yanking your chains and having fun, I didn't intend to start a serious discussion on the merits of PCX vs. PNG or about anybody's PC habits 8) )
Still... is there *any* merit in using pcx *anywhere*? ;-)

</offtopic>
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote:Inspired by your work, I came up with my version of the Dutch Delta works.
That looks pretty darn good!
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Make the concrete one index darker (might also look nicer in pure grey) and everything more detailed (example: add the discoloring of the bottom of the pillars), and it really will.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Something like this?
Attachments
dutchdeltaworks01.png
dutchdeltaworks01.png (105.1 KiB) Viewed 4278 times

Return to “Graphics Development”