Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Kamnet's Graphics That Really Suck!

Post by SAC »

Interesting!

I wonder if it would be possible to add such a feature to TTDP codewise! Probably not, and even so I'm sure it would require way to much work to defend the benefit itself. Still, I would have liked it! :))
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I wouldn't want to see this replace the natural rock water tiles. Speaking of which, I think what would be needed to complement those rock water tiles is a more natural way for the ships to move up and down on the river. The only reason you have a lock is because you've damed up all the water behind it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Right now I've done all I can for the dam. I have some doubts that I've got the alignment right. Wallyweb has volunteered to test it as a NewObject for me when he gets chance. I may get a chance to put something else together over the weekend.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yeah, I came to the conclusion that the alignment wasn't right. I based it off of a flat tile rather than a slanted tile, and in the end I just don't think it looks right. So I spent a few days doing a complete re-fit. Opinions?
Attachments
hydrodam-screen5.png
hydrodam-screen5.png (27.83 KiB) Viewed 7177 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kamnet wrote:I based it off of a flat tile rather than a slanted tile, and in the end I just don't think it looks right. So I spent a few days doing a complete re-fit. Opinions?
I feel your pain. I've run into the same problem drawing tiles for slopes :)

Looking good. Finish the shading, you'll be pleased with it :)
Last edited by andythenorth on 01 Aug 2010 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

*thumbs-up*
much better!
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I rather like them :)

Needs a roadway going along the top I feel
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I think what it needs next is a similar tile but without the two segments that protrude downstreaam? That would allow a much wider dam to be constructed?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

andythenorth wrote:I feel your pain. I've run into the same problem drawing tiles for slopes :) Looking good. Finish the shading, you'll be pleased with it :)
Is there a guide for shading anyplace? I looked around and didn't immediately spot one.
Bob_Mackenzie wrote:I rather like them :) Needs a roadway going along the top I feel
I thought about it, but for most of these in real life they are too narrow and thin across the top to support a road structure. Plus, with the way TTD runs the road through the middle of the tile, this would have to be a two-tile structure and I think that would be just a little too large. Although I have noticed at a few of these places there are roads that run across the entire lock and dam. Those are much larger structures and that might be a good project to try to pull off, but if there's going to be a road on something it would be nice if it was usable, especially if it could also tap into whatever road NewGRF a player might be using.
jake.grimshaw wrote:I think what it needs next is a similar tile but without the two segments that protrude downstreaam? That would allow a much wider dam to be constructed?
I tried it with shorter segments, and it didn't look quite right for me, mainly because of the way the slopes play into things. I think to really do it the way you'd describe, I'd have to build three types of dams, one with a left/top segment, one with a right/bottom segment, and then one without any of the structures, and that's just too much work for me! :lol: Although I suppose I could just draw them and leave it to the coder to write it up so that it detects if the object is next to or between two of the same objects and put in the appropriate graphic. I'll have to think on that. Or, I could just leave it the way it is and let another artist take some liberty with it.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

kamnet wrote:I actually made the suggestion to SAC a few months ago about creating a dam. She said she'd consider it but couldn't fit it into her current development schedule. Originally when I was thinking of dams I was thinking of large gravity dams such as Hoover Dam. These smaller damns just happened to catch my attention today and I figured I'd give it a go.

Speaking of which, here's another revision. I realized why I was so frustrated the first time around, it's because I was trying to use Paint.Net for pixel editing and it really isn't suited for that at all. I dug up good 'ol MS Paint and gave that a spin, I think that resolved most of my issues. Gave a little follow-up in Paint.Net to add the water graphics.
The attachment hydrodam-screen2.png is no longer available
I have made a preview:
Attachments
newobjects_mq.grf
It includes the radio antenna.
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Dam with some water tiles.
Dam with some water tiles.
SCR6.png (55.5 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
Radio antenna.
Radio antenna.
SCR7.png (80.7 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Thank you for that screen shot, I think it confirms that a flat tile won't cut it.

Can you try using this new PCX file with my more recent graphics?

jake.grimshaw wrote:I think what it needs next is a similar tile but without the two segments that protrude downstreaam? That would allow a much wider dam to be constructed?
After thinking about it a few days, I think I will eventually release this as a 1x1 tile, to build small dams, and as a 1x3 tile for larger ones.
Attachments
hydrodam-6.pcx
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

maquinista wrote:I have made a preview [...]
"Dams" can be directly placed on river slope tiles now:
barrage.png
barrage.png (15.59 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
This is a new feature of TTDPatch r2331:
- Added: Building objects on water now preserves the water bits, and restores the water tile on removal.
BTW, what´s the correct Spanish term for "Hydro-electric power plant"? "Central hidráulica"?

regards
Michael
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That, sir, is beautiful! Did you just draw that recently, or have you had that one saved for awhile?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote:That, sir, is beautiful! Did you just draw that recently, or have you had that one saved for awhile?
Thanks. This one has been drawn over a year ago. I just adapted it for slope tiles when Lakie improved the newobjects code last week.

This particular model is intended for early years and flat areas. I have two more "dam" models lying around, one in modern style, and a "high" dam. The latter will need quite some more investment in drawing/coding to fit seamlessly into sloped areas (it uses 2 height levels).

regards
Michael
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

michael blunck wrote:
maquinista wrote:I have made a preview [...]
"Dams" can be directly placed on river slope tiles now:
barrage.png
l
Nice dam. I like it.
michael blunck wrote: BTW, what´s the correct Spanish term for "Hydro-electric power plant"? "Central hidráulica"?

regards
Michael
Yes, It's a correct term.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

michael blunck wrote:
kamnet wrote:That, sir, is beautiful! Did you just draw that recently, or have you had that one saved for awhile?
Thanks. This one has been drawn over a year ago. I just adapted it for slope tiles when Lakie improved the newobjects code last week.

This particular model is intended for early years and flat areas. I have two more "dam" models lying around, one in modern style, and a "high" dam. The latter will need quite some more investment in drawing/coding to fit seamlessly into sloped areas (it uses 2 height levels).

regards
Michael
That's great, I'd like to see those, especially your current concept for a high dam. I've been pondering over that one myself.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

michael blunck wrote:
kamnet wrote: This particular model is intended for early years and flat areas. I have two more "dam" models lying around, one in modern style, and a "high" dam. The latter will need quite some more investment in drawing/coding to fit seamlessly into sloped areas (it uses 2 height levels).

regards
Michael
damn sexy work there michael
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

FooBar wrote:Or replace the sloped river tiles with this dam.

A larger dam could work fine as Object. Or maybe even as industry. Imagine a hydro-electric dam accepting water :P
Sorry to be a bit OT here, but I think they would be just fine in tropical, producing water. ;)
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

maquinista wrote:
michael blunck wrote: BTW, what´s the correct Spanish term for "Hydro-electric power plant"? "Central hidráulica"?

regards
Michael
shouldn't be "Central hidroeléctrica"?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

LaDoncella wrote:
maquinista wrote:

regards
Michael
shouldn't be "Central hidroeléctrica"?
The two words are correct. Maybe "Central hidroeléctrica" is more specific.

Better Central hidroeléctrica.

Return to “Graphics Development”