Sailing Ships - Development Topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

De Funes 2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.62)]

Post by De Funes 2 »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100
Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote: Have you changed the sound? It was a nice ship's bell before, and now it's something strange.
No change. Has anyone else noticed anything odd?
Yes, yes, yes, :)

look (listen) to this. Run Tycoon (1.2.2) -> New GRF Settings -> add only these 2 GRF packages -> "eGRVTS v2.0 - r181" and the
second your "Sailing Ships 0.62" without modifications parameters. Apply changes -> New Game, starting in 1900 (because
Windjammer) -> New ships -> Windjammer -> buy -> Start ship and what you hear that sound? The sound of trams from eGRVTS v2.0 -
r181 pack instead nice ship bell.

For other GRF packages combinations (and eGRVTS is not among them!), in the case that there are many more packages (as it is in
the game), launch ship (wind ship) on the water accompanies next (different) sound.

Thanks for the great job and sorry for my English.
Greetings from Czech Republic.

De Funes

btw: my normal profile here "De Funes" requires authentication messages to the moderator, or something. My message from yesterday, no one failed to deal with, so I was forced to create a new profile

I'm sorry ..
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

De Funes 2 wrote:http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100
Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote: Have you changed the sound? It was a nice ship's bell before, and now it's something strange.
No change. Has anyone else noticed anything odd?
Yes, yes, yes, :)

look (listen) to this. Run Tycoon (1.2.2) -> New GRF Settings -> add only these 2 GRF packages -> "eGRVTS v2.0 - r181" and the
second your "Sailing Ships 0.62" without modifications parameters. Apply changes -> New Game, starting in 1900 (because
Windjammer) -> New ships -> Windjammer -> buy -> Start ship and what you hear that sound? The sound of trams from eGRVTS v2.0 -
r181 pack instead nice ship bell.

For other GRF packages combinations (and eGRVTS is not among them!), in the case that there are many more packages (as it is in
the game), launch ship (wind ship) on the water accompanies next (different) sound.

Thanks for the great job and sorry for my English.
Greetings from Czech Republic.

De Funes

btw: my normal profile here "De Funes" requires authentication messages to the moderator, or something. My message from yesterday, no one failed to deal with, so I was forced to create a new profile

I'm sorry ..
No, you were not forced to create a new profile :evil:, you just made that up.

For some reason your profile as well as this profile triggers an alarm on our forum software. That alarm needs manual checking by one of the global moderators or the administrator. That can take a few minutes or a few hours and is never reason for people to re-register. Instead you should remain patient. The forum software will understand the hints we give when we approve your posts and stop trigger an alarm on your posts.

I will ask the administrator to lock your new account De Funes 2, continue to use your original one.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

De Funes wrote:look (listen) to this. Run Tycoon (1.2.2) -> New GRF Settings -> add only these 2 GRF packages -> "eGRVTS v2.0 - r181" and the second your "Sailing Ships 0.62" without modifications parameters. Apply changes -> New Game, starting in 1900 (because Windjammer) -> New ships -> Windjammer -> buy -> Start ship and what you hear that sound? The sound of trams from eGRVTS v2.0 - r181 pack instead nice ship bell.

For other GRF packages combinations (and eGRVTS is not among them!), in the case that there are many more packages (as it is in the game), launch ship (wind ship) on the water accompanies next (different) sound (as the sound of an electric arc).
In my case changing other NewGRFs also causing change of the sound.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

bjgttd wrote:
De Funes wrote:look (listen) to this. Run Tycoon (1.2.2) -> New GRF Settings -> add only these 2 GRF packages -> "eGRVTS v2.0 - r181" and the second your "Sailing Ships 0.62" without modifications parameters. Apply changes -> New Game, starting in 1900 (because Windjammer) -> New ships -> Windjammer -> buy -> Start ship and what you hear that sound? The sound of trams from eGRVTS v2.0 - r181 pack instead nice ship bell.

For other GRF packages combinations (and eGRVTS is not among them!), in the case that there are many more packages (as it is in the game), launch ship (wind ship) on the water accompanies next (different) sound (as the sound of an electric arc).
In my case changing other NewGRFs also causing change of the sound.
It sounds like a case where both NewGRFs modify one of the default sounds and make use of it - which of course will result in one of the sounds being awefully wrong. You could try to check for that by testing a game where the order of the two NewGRFs is reversed.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

It sounds like a case where both NewGRFs modify one of the default sounds and make use of it - which of course will result in one of the sounds being awefully wrong. You could try to check for that by testing a game where the order of the two NewGRFs is reversed.
Yes, that seems to be the case. If you reverse the order, the eGRVTS tram sound changes to the ships bell. Any ideas on how to sort out this glitch welcome! :(
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

Some progress in solving this problem? Me a little nervous, the sound which gives the ship know my imaginary world that it leaves the harbor :) And so far exposed to the world "pause" until the bug in METRIX will corrected. :)

De Funes
Transport Tycoon player since 1997
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

I play OpenTTD 1.1.5 and the sailship is not compatible with it. So any help possible?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Don Karnage wrote:I play OpenTTD 1.1.5 and the sailship is not compatible with it. So any help possible?
Update your OpenTTD version.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Many NewGRFs are taking advantage of features that are not available in OpenTTD 1.1.5. You can try to find older versions of these NewGRFs, but you're more likely to encounter bugs or graphical issues that were corrected in the newer versions. You're going to find more NewGRFs compatible with OpenTTD 1.3.2 or a current nightly.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well... we can't really provide a solve for anything that's not really up-to-date, you know.
You still have time to reconsider whether to upgrade your OpenTTD version... if you have difficulties or reasons why you won't, let us know so we can help you in straighting them. :wink:

Seaplanes are a somewhat planned project, merely a concept - if the whole thing is finished, with the proper sea airports added for OpenTTD (of course only on newer future versions) these planes are the only ones capable to land on them. The latest seaplane implementation, as of now, with the latest av8, is just that the graphics is there, the vehicle is there, but their behaviors arent. The seaplane airport NewGRF, if you noticed, just replaces the graphics of the small airport (with the dirt runways) with water tiles, except for the hangar, and likely some water object. If you want to use these "preview" planes, look at the NewGRF settings, and enable them.

I'm not sure of the problem - of course I don't have 1.1.5 anymore (the oldest I have is a -cd build based on 1.2.0-beta4). Either you can try to see their settings, try an older av8, or try newer OpenTTD version - comes with no price apart from your internet connection, able to load old saves as well (ie. upgrading) finely.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

No problems with AV8, I find that either order works. Sorry! Upgrade to most recent versions of each and it should be fine.

Seaplanes? I have no idea.

Sound bug? Still not working. Not had the time in the last year to look into it... Wow.. it's been almost a year?!
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Thank you for a wonderful set of ships! :bow:

I love to start in 1700, and these ships fit well in style with the egrvts2 horse carts. I'm only missing a horse-drawn canal barge (low cost, 50-60 tons, 13 km/h?); it's kind of weird to watch sailing ships on narrow canals.

I've got one problem with these ships; I'm unable to drag and drop them in the depot in order to sell them. I have to click the "sell all vehicles" button, and then the depot can't clone the name and route directions from the last sold ship. It's a minor nuisance, though, and I can't see that anyone else has mentioned it.

I sincerely hope that you will continue to develop this lovely package.
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Can you drag it to the garbage can? If yes and the wont sell it, try to like aim for the middle of the boat. I have similar problem with long bus.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Don Karnage wrote:Can you drag it to the garbage can? If yes and the wont sell it, try to like aim for the middle of the boat. I have similar problem with long bus.
Yes I can drag it to the "garbage can", but the ship won't disappear. I agree that it can be hard to hit the garbage can with large vehicles (and I believe that a "bigger garbage can" belongs on the todo list for the ottd core devs *nudge nudge*), but even the Patraikos freighter can be negotiated thither with some patience. The sailing ships can't, not even the tiny schooner.

Edit: The schooner can actually be dropped in the garbage can, but not the brig.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

leifbk wrote:
Don Karnage wrote:Can you drag it to the garbage can? If yes and the wont sell it, try to like aim for the middle of the boat. I have similar problem with long bus.
Yes I can drag it to the "garbage can", but the ship won't disappear. I agree that it can be hard to hit the garbage can with large vehicles (and I believe that a "bigger garbage can" belongs on the todo list for the ottd core devs *nudge nudge*), but even the Patraikos freighter can be negotiated thither with some patience. The sailing ships can't, not even the tiny schooner.
You're right, this NewGRF behaves strangely in this respect. The reason seems to be in the funky sprite offsets. When you pick one of those ships in the depot to drag it to the 'garbage can', you'll notice that the ship appears quite a bit left of where you clicked. Drop the ship as much left of the 'garbage can' icon as it appeared left of the place you clicked on it, and selling of it will work.

Ultimately this is a problem with the NewGRF itself which needs to be fixed by adjusting its sprite offsets for the GUI sprites.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:You're right, this NewGRF behaves strangely in this respect. The reason seems to be in the funky sprite offsets. When you pick one of those ships in the depot to drag it to the 'garbage can', you'll notice that the ship appears quite a bit left of where you clicked. Drop the ship as much left of the 'garbage can' icon as it appeared left of the place you clicked on it, and selling of it will work.
Great, I finally managed to drag a barque to the can :)
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Good :)
Cheshire Cat ^..^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cheshire Cat ^..^ »

I'm guessing this grf doesn't work in toy climate? Because it didn't for me.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Cheshire Cat ^..^ wrote:I'm guessing this grf doesn't work in toy climate? Because it didn't for me.
Don't know about the toy climate, but most of the sailing ships expire before 1900. Only the Windjammer survives until abt. 1920.
Cheshire Cat ^..^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cheshire Cat ^..^ »

I can't build a ship depot at all at 1897

Return to “Graphics Development”