Sailing Ships - Development Topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.61)]

Post by Supercheese »

bjgttd wrote:One more thing - it's 1873 in the game and Windjammer hasn't show up yet. Is this something you've silently fixed since 0.5? Is there an incompatibility between your Sailing Ships and FISH (they start in 1870, than the Windjammer is suppose to appear)?
OTTD randomizes introduction dates for vehicles, up to a point. A vehicle that the GRF says should show up in year X might not show up until X+1 or so. See: https://secure.openttd.org/bugs/task/5086?project=1
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.61)]

Post by bjgttd »

Supercheese wrote:
bjgttd wrote:One more thing - it's 1873 in the game and Windjammer hasn't show up yet. Is this something you've silently fixed since 0.5? Is there an incompatibility between your Sailing Ships and FISH (they start in 1870, than the Windjammer is suppose to appear)?
OTTD randomizes introduction dates for vehicles, up to a point. A vehicle that the GRF says should show up in year X might not show up until X+1 or so. See: https://secure.openttd.org/bugs/task/5086?project=1
Yes, I realize that, but by now it would be X+6 - is that big delay even possible?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.62)]

Post by Eddi »

it's up to 512 days (almost 2 years), plus another year if you're banned from prototypes. so 6 years is not possible.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

The Windjammer came at the end of 1876. I should've been more patient. :)
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

bjgttd wrote:I still can't upgrade from 0.5 in the existing game.
The download is working fine for me. Are you running OTTD 1.2? Do you mean the GRF in a current save game won't update? That is down to a lot of important changes in between 0.4-0.6 code. The versions don't like each other on my machine so I have made them incompatible.
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

I've started a new game and got your ships again - 0.62 this time. Several things seem not right:
Reliability decays, but ships don't go to service. The maintenance interval is 360% instead of 50% (don't know if this is the cause).
Have you changed the sound? It was a nice ship's bell before, and now it's something strange.
Have you disabled an auto-refit? It's grayed out.
Tourists are considered a "bulk cargo". The Brig takes 50 units of cargo, or 20 passengers, or 50 tourists. This is a minor one (I haven't got any tourists in 1700).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

bjgttd wrote: Reliability decays, but ships don't go to service. The maintenance interval is 360% instead of 50% (don't know if this is the cause).
this is probably your own screwup, by having the wrong advanced settings. looks like you were converting something from "service interval in days" to "service interval in %"
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

Eddi wrote:
bjgttd wrote: Reliability decays, but ships don't go to service. The maintenance interval is 360% instead of 50% (don't know if this is the cause).
this is probably your own screwup, by having the wrong advanced settings. looks like you were converting something from "service interval in days" to "service interval in %"
Are you saying that OpenTTD doesn't trigger service interval recalculation after the advanced setting change? This would be a bug or a design flaw, a big one anyway.

Is there a way to fix it without starting a new game?

Update: Manually changing maintenance intervals seems to have helped. It's good I've only had 6 ships do deal with yet. This is not the Sailing Ships NewGRF bug anyway. How about the other ones?
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

bjgttd wrote: The maintenance interval is 360% instead of 50% (don't know if this is the cause).
That is as Eddi says I think.

bjgttd wrote: Reliability decays, but ships don't go to service.
I think this is caused either by the problem with the percentage service above, or, if you are running without breakdowns, the setting in vehicles menu of advanced settings that disables servicing if breakdowns are set to 'none.'

bjgttd wrote: Have you changed the sound? It was a nice ship's bell before, and now it's something strange.
No change. Has anyone else noticed anything odd?
bjgttd wrote: Have you disabled an auto-refit? It's grayed out.
No but then I haven't enabled it either. If it is something ships can do (FISH does't seem to unless I have an outdated version?) I will see if I can put it in another release.
bjgttd wrote: Tourists are considered a "bulk cargo". The Brig takes 50 units of cargo, or 20 passengers, or 50 tourists. This is a minor one (I haven't got any tourists in 1700).
Well, anyone who flies Easyjet knows that you can get more tourists onto a plane than passengers...
Easy solution to that one. Thank you for finding it.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote: Have you disabled an auto-refit? It's grayed out.
No but then I haven't enabled it either. If it is something ships can do (FISH doesn't seem to unless I have an outdated version?) I will see if I can put it in another release.
The FISH 2 does have it. Most importantly, your Sailing Ships 0.5 did have it - that's why I've asked.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

bjgttd wrote:your Sailing Ships 0.5 did have it
How odd!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote:your Sailing Ships 0.5 did have it
How odd!
One of :)
- you enabled it by accident
- bjgttd is misremembering
- you used a version of a tool that enabled it unintentionally on compile (unlikely)

If you're enabling autorefit, don't do any complicated allow/disallow refit rules with cb 15E, it makes it trivial for players to create broken vehicle orders (with no warnings). Adjusting cost with cb 15E has no issues.
http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Ca ... _.2815E.29
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

I may have unwittingly disabled it by putting restrictions on refittability of certain cc?

The only thing with autorefit is that you could potentially load up with, say, coal, and then at the other end pick up, maybe, goods. This would appear graphically as though you had hammered half the deck back on while loading and then ripped it out again at the other end. I'd probably prefer to only allow autorefit from bulk to bulk, piece to piece etc.

Is it possible to limit autorefittability to a certain cargo class? I think UKRS 2 does this with certain wagons but I'm not sure precisely how that function works, it may just be that the only refittable cargoes were of the same class anyway.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Mouse wrote:Is it possible to limit autorefittability to a certain cargo class? I think UKRS 2 does this with certain wagons but I'm not sure precisely how that function works, it may just be that the only refittable cargoes were of the same class anyway.
I believe so, just make use of the refit_cost callback based on cargo types/classes.

NML: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... _callbacks
NFO: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Ca ... _.2815E.29

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

You can check classes with cb 15E, then allow / disallow refit.

I wouldn't do that, because it very easily causes vehicle orders to be broken, with no warning to player. I think that's quite bad, although not everyone shares my view :twisted:
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Supercheese wrote:
Mouse wrote:Is it possible to limit autorefittability to a certain cargo class? I think UKRS 2 does this with certain wagons but I'm not sure precisely how that function works, it may just be that the only refittable cargoes were of the same class anyway.
I believe so, just make use of the refit_cost callback based on cargo types/classes.

NML: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... _callbacks
NFO: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Ca ... _.2815E.29
So something like

Code: Select all

Switch(ships, self, switch_cost_refit, cargo_classes){
     bitmask(CC_PASSENGERS) : value  ;
     bitmask(CC_BULK) : value ;
     value ;
}

Graphics{
refit_cost  :  switch_cost_refit
A numerical value will reflect the cost of changing the ship on autorefit right?

So potentially another switch could be used to make changing from one class to another more costly?

What would I need to put as a return value if there was to be a disallowed type of cargo for refit?

It might just be simpler to release each type of ship individually?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

andythenorth wrote:
Mouse wrote:It might just be simpler to release each type of ship individually?
It is. That's why FISH 2 does it that way :)
Indeed, the FISH approach seems to work well.

Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

andythenorth wrote:
Mouse wrote:It might just be simpler to release each type of ship individually?
It is. That's why FISH 2 does it that way :)
The simplest solution is usually the best!

Edit:
Coming soon (Its half term!)

Ketch (late 1700s), and Atlantic Schooner (early/mid 1800s).
Teaser.png
Teaser.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 8194 times
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote: Have you changed the sound? It was a nice ship's bell before, and now it's something strange.
No change. Has anyone else noticed anything odd?
Yes, yes, yes, :)

look (listen) to this. Run Tycoon (1.2.2) -> New GRF Settings -> add only these 2 GRF packages -> "eGRVTS v2.0 - r181" and the second your "Sailing Ships 0.62" without modifications parameters. Apply changes -> New Game, starting in 1900 (because Windjammer) -> New ships -> Windjammer -> buy -> Start ship and what you hear that sound? The sound of trams from eGRVTS v2.0 - r181 pack instead nice ship bell.

For other GRF packages combinations (and eGRVTS is not among them!), in the case that there are many more packages (as it is in the game), launch ship (wind ship) on the water accompanies next (different) sound (as the sound of an electric arc).

Thanks for your great work and sorry for my English :wink:

Greetings from Czech Republic
Transport Tycoon player since 1997

Return to “Graphics Development”