[OTTD] OllyG's screenshots.

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] OllyG's screenshots.

Post by OllyG »

Hello,

After a year of playing OTTD, having rekindled very fond memories of Transport Tycoon from my youth, I have decided to share some screenshots.

I haven't done this before, so apologies if I break any forum rules / etiquette: please tell me and I will learn! I've got the screenshots down to 800x600 maximum for inlines I think...

First up: my first ever OTTD game. Temperate landscape, no NewGRFs. And I didn't save versions of my game at different points, so all Maglevs by this stage. In later screenshot series, I will show changes over time, as I started saving different versions of my games to show change over time.

These early shots were me experimenting with things like PBS, and I also chased subsidies rather than planned networks in these early games. So things get more interesting.

All comments welcome of course!

Cheers,

Olly.

1. 2014. The picture shows a conventional, electrified, four track railway, one of the last to be converted to Maglev.

For most of the picture, the tracks are paired by speed, to enable most efficient access to Seedingbury station. At the bottom of the picture, an underpass is visible to enable grade separation of tracks as they become paired by speed, which is more useful for the next section of the railway (unpictured).

You will be able to count 3 TGVs in the top half of the picture, and a Eurostar set about to pass through Greadhatton-on-Sea.
British Rail, 29th Dec 2014.png
British Rail, 29th Dec 2014.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5315 times
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] OllyG's screenshots.

Post by OllyG »

2. 2072. 4 track Maglev line, serving a small city.
Attachments
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072.png
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072.png (989.8 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

3. My most complicated area of railway in that particular game. Near the top left of the screenshot, the 2 Maglev trains you see are part of a high-speed line between cities.

An orbital suburban line can be seen running from Plesberg Woods, underneath part of the main line to Seeleigh Woods and crossing under the main line again to Seeleigh Heights.

Note that bridges are used throughout to increase line capacity and train speeds, by removing the need for conflicting movements.
Attachments
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#1.png
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#1.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5310 times
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Welcome to the forums!

You know you can add up to 3 attachments in one post, other than that nice looking network, you should either try play with some new grfs to make it more interesting or show us a huge complicated junction, I always like seeing stuff like that.
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Hi,

Thanks for that. Will start doing 3 in one. Do images have to be 800 x 600 to go in line, or can they be bigger, and are reduced down to 800 x 600 until you click on them, and they get bigger? I've seen other posters do that in this section but I am not sure how...

Yes, these are my earliest games from 12 months ago. Lots and lots more to follow, including some great junctions and lots with different GRFs, but I'm going to show in chronological order.

One more set for tonight from the same game...

Olly.
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

2 screenshots this time:

1. One of my most complicated station complexes, which barely manages to accommodate the heavy traffic. A medium-distance stopping train line heads towards Huhead and beyond at the top of the picture; whilst the line towards the top-right conveys a mixture of express and slow long-distance traffic.

Genford station is split into 2, 3 track parts for each line. The use of bi-directional signalling on the centre road of each of the 3 platform halves helps to keep traffic moving.

Despite this and good ratings, the open dialog box for Baningworth station shows how my train service barely manages to transport all the passengers and mail. Each train can accommodate 400 - 500 passengers, and around 80 bags of mail.

In later games, I would add buses / tram networks to take some of the passengers away.

2. This part of my Maglev empire suffers from the worst congestion.

The problem is Sudstow Woods station towards the bottom-left of the picture. The local authority built roads around the station, and I forgot to buy extra land around it for expansion. Hence, I cannot widen my station any further, and the mere 2 platforms are hugely inadequate for the heavy train volumes, and also the vast number of passengers generated by one of the largest cities on the map.

My (part) solution? Construction of a 2 track high-speed avoiding line, which enters the picture from the right. This helps to keep Prenport Beeches well-served and significantly cut the chronic congestion in the area, but means the 2 stations at the bottom of the picture are not as well-served as they might otherwise be.

After this game, I enabled the feature which lets me remove any road tile in a city, which, though removing the challenge, does make the game and network construction much more interesting...
Attachments
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#3.png
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#3.png (939.02 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#4.png
British Rail, 19th Apr 2072#4.png (1007.41 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
sharpysharpy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sharpysharpy »

I really like your Networks! I can never achieve efficiency and simplicity that you seem to have managed!
Self-Confessed Megalomaniac
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Time for a new series of screenshots.

This series features my second game of Open TTD, from June 2009. This was played using no NewGRFs, in the sub-arctic landscape. Like the previous series, I played this game by chasing subsidies, and then gradually joining up the mini-networks as they grew up. In later games, I adopted a more strategic approach.

The theme for this series is change over time. I have chosen 3 areas of the map which developed interestingly over time, and, in each post, I show what each area looked like at the time period in question.

First up, 1980, 30 years into the game.

1. Bjornstua, 1980. A rather chaotic layout, as I couldn't destroy any more roads / houses to get the track formation I wanted. However, what is there sufficed for the traffic levels at the time.

The growing city of Bjornstua is served by a station with 4 platforms, which splits into 2 routes at the top-left corner of the map. 4 tracks go very briefly into 2 south of the station, although the company has a strong ambition to remove this small 2 track bottleneck.

The line then divides into 2 again, with a branch to the bottom-left and the main line to the bottom right.
Both junctions are grade-separated to increase capacity.
Bjornstua 1980.png
Bjornstua 1980.png (992.77 KiB) Viewed 5066 times

2. Romsrud, 1980. The small city of Romsrud is served by a single track passenger line leading to a mountain village and a larger city.
Lundbekk Transport, 30th Dec 1979.png

3. Solbotn area, 1980. Two separate lines are shown in the picture, serving the slow-growing Solbotn and Seltinden cities. Interchange facilities are available at Brandun. Despite the outstanding travel possibilities offered by this station, the local authority of Brandun (population 139) were extremely annoyed that their rural tranquility was disturbed by 2 diesel railway lines!
Solbotn 1980.png
Solbotn 1980.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5066 times
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Some changes by the year 2000.

1. Bjornstua, 2000

The 2 track bottleneck detailed in the 1980 situation has been eliminated. No other changes.
Bjornstua 2000.png

2. Romsrud, 2000
Romsrud 2000.png
The passenger line to the north-east has been doubled, allowing more trains to serve Romsrud, which has doubled in population since 1980.

A new line has appeared from the south-west, which conveys food trains from a big food factory on the coast in to the mountain villages.

3. Solbotn, 2000
Solbotn 2000.png
Big changes here. What was a separate line to Seltinden has been combined with the main line to Solbotn and onwards towards the top-right of the map.

Four tracking through Solbotn station has also taken place, increasing capacity. West of the station, the railway goes in to 3 tracks, which inhibits capacity, but is sufficient at this time (monorail conversion is planned later in the decade).
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

OllyG wrote:Bjornstua 1980
I have to say, I think that's one of the prettiest vanilla OTTD screenies I've ever seen. Well done! :)
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Pingaware wrote:
OllyG wrote:Bjornstua 1980
I have to say, I think that's one of the prettiest vanilla OTTD screenies I've ever seen. Well done! :)
Well thank you! Yes, Bjornstua is a nice city, with an attractive lakeside location and excellent rail links. Would be a great place to live... If it actually existed...

Lots of really pretty screenshots will be coming in the next few weeks, especially when i get to those where I start using newGRFs, or my favourite sub-tropical landscape...

And so, we fast forward to 2031.

1. Bjornstua, 2031

Looks like we went straight from conventional rail to maglev here, skipping monorails.

At this point, the track layout is the same, but the station platforms have been lengthened to accommodate 10 car trains.
Bjornstua 2031.png

2. Romsrud, 2031

In addition to conversion to monorail, big changes are evident at Romsrud. The main line to the north-east has been furnished with an additional track, and the station is twice as big, with longer platforms and more of them. A suburban / food line also heads towards the east of the picture. Conversion to maglev is planned to coincide with when rolling stock becomes life-expired.
Romsrud  2031.png

3. Solbotn, 2031

A time of transition for the railway here. We see conventional rail to maglev conversion half-complete, with maglevs already running on the northern half of the station.

The route to the west has been upgraded from 3 tracks to 4 tracks, and also provided with a grade separated junction to reduce conflicting movements in and out of the station.
Solbotn 2031.png
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

And now for the final set of screenshots in this series.

By the year 2084, surprisingly few changes had taken place.

The main one is expansion of the layout through Bjornstua to 6 tracks. At Solbotn, a 5th platform has been provided. Conversion to maglev has taken place at Bjornstua.

Bjornstua 2084.png
Romsrud 2084.png
Solbotn 2084.png
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

A previous poster requested some shots of complicated junctions, and I am only too happy to oblige.

These are taken from my current game, featuring the excellent Serbian train set, new stations, Serbian trams, Dutch catenary, OpenGFX, Slovenian town names (not enough Serbian names for a 512 x 512 map with lots of towns, unfortunately!) and quite a few others.

I will have more to show from this game in the coming weeks, but for now, let us see how Podveza South Junction developed over the decades to handle growing rail traffic.

1. Podveza South Junction, 1941

Things start innocently enough. In the 1940s, just one line is present through Podveza. At Podveza South Junction, the 2 track railway becomes a 4 track one. Fast trains go on the southernmost tracks and slow trains on the northernmost ones. This is because slow trains terminate at Dolga Vas (just off picture to the northeast) and call at Podveza, thus consuming track capacity. The provision of 2 extra tracks helps to keep both fast and slow trains moving nicely.
Serbian Railways, 26th Oct 1941.png

2. Podveza South Junction, 1976

By the 1970s, things had become rather more complicated. A new line, added in the 1960s, joins the layout from the south, conveying both freight and passenger services. Although the 4 track section on the original line was extended westwards, and additional crossovers provided to help trains negotiate the layout (note also the change from lines paired by speed to lines paired by direction on the 2 four track sections), the layout was becoming increasingly inadequate, congested and delay-producing for modern traffic levels, as this screenshot shows.
Serbian Railways, 19th Sep 1976.png

3. Podveza South Junction, 2002

By the late 1970s, increasing congestion, lack of capacity for additional traffic and ageing steam and diesel rolling stock led the railway authority to develop a bold plan. Wholesale route modernisation was proposed for the busy Pecice - Podveza - Dolga Vas - Skofja Loka rail corridor.

In addition to platform lenghening, four tracking and electrification of the core route, it was clear that a comprehensive remodelling of Podveza South Junction would be required to reap the benefits of the investment.

With land space at a premium, due to the presence of 2 towns, careful planning was required to produce the best solution.

The screenshot below shows the final result. Commissioned in 1980, this image shows a typical day in 2002. By this time, 100mph intercity trains mingle with 75mph freight and passenger services.

The junction has the following features, compared to its predecessor:

- Full grade separation of all lines, using bridges and tunnels
- Electrification of fast and slow lines on the main line
- Provision of 2 extra tracks and platforms on the slow lines, to the north of the layout
- Four tracking of the main line to the west
- An effective solution for how to incorporate the 2 four track lines which merge here in to 6 tracks

The layout works well, but nevertheless still has problems. Just off picture to the north-east is the booming city of Dolga Vas. Here, delays occur due to a long tunnel beneath the city (if only OTTD would allow signals in the middle of tunnels: one day, maybe!!), a station permanently flooded with passengers and only 3 platforms on the station; this leads to delays to freight trains and a degree of queueing of trains on the fast lines.

An expensive solution is being looked at, which would require significant demolition works through Podveza and Dolga Vas, but would involve provision of 2 extra tracks on the fast lines, an additional platform at Dolga Vas and a fourth tunnel bore.
Serbian Railways, 20th Aug 2002.png
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

To complement the previous post, below is a screenshot of Dolga Vas in 2002, demonstrating some of the problems outlined above.

At the centre of the picture are the main line platforms at Dolga Vas, just before they descend into the cross-city tunnel.

The slow line / suburban terminating platforms sit above the platforms.

A suburban line heads north-west before descending into tunnels beneath the booming suburb of Brod na Kupi.

As you can see, provision of a 4th / 3rd track for the fast lines would require massive demolition: unfortunately, the city grew extremely rapidly whilst I was busy with the map elsewhere, hence why I was not able to proactively reserve land for railway expansion...
Serbian Railways, 20th Aug 2002#1.png
Dave

Post by Dave »

These are amazing mate.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

After a 2 month absence, it's time for some more screenshots!

This time, from my 3rd OTTD game, and the first time I used NewGRFs. This is a temperate game, with only UKRS in use.

This was my last game where my networks grew up haphazardly as a result of chasing subsidies, then connecting up the dots. Looking back with hindsight, I had much to learn about efficient depot, station and junction design. Nevertheless, there are some interesting layouts and urban scenes...

The format for these screenshots is to show 3 shots of the same place over the decades, so you can see how the cities and railways developed over time. The gane started in 1920, and I have chosen shots from saved games from the years 1951, 1986 and 2075.

Enjoy!

1. Trunport Beeches, 1951

Things start quietly enough in this sleepy rural town. A largely double-track passenger line serves the town.

Who could have guessed this place would turn into a major terminus and interchange?
Trunport Beeches, 29th Nov 1951.png
Trunport Beeches, 29th Nov 1951.png (996.8 KiB) Viewed 4504 times

2. Trunport Beeches, 1986

Lots of changes!

- 3rd track added to the main line.

- New branch line constructed.

- Electrification of the main line.

- 2 extra platforms and lengthening of existing platforms.

- 2nd depot constructed.

The layout of the station approach is a bit of a shambles, but it's fun to watch.

Main line rolling stock is provided by HSTs and Class 86 electric sets; on the branch, ageing and rotting diesel locomotives.

HSTs and an electric set can be seen in the picture.
Trunport Beeches, 5th May 1986.png
Trunport Beeches, 5th May 1986.png (977.74 KiB) Viewed 4504 times

3. Trunport Beeches, 2075

Almost a century later, both main and branch lines have been 4-tracked. 2 more platforms have appeared, and the approach junction is even more cumbersome.

Rolling stock is electric Class 390 Pendolinos and hydrogen fuel multiple units on the main line; on the branch, Class 158 DMUs for stopping services and steam-hauled expresses.

All this railway infrastructure appears to have impeded the town's growth!
Trunport Beeches, 16th Dec 2075.png
Trunport Beeches, 16th Dec 2075.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4504 times
John_Smith
Chairman
Chairman

Post by John_Smith »

Great shots, I love how you manager to get everything you need into a small amount of space, keep them coming.

JS.
I not an boring person, I just get excited over boring things.
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Hello!

Well it's been a while, but I'm back on OTTD after dabbling with Civ III for a few months.

And time to get back to my screenshot thread!

These are from the same game as the last batch of screenshots, and again I show change over time in one part of the map.

1. Pesningden Castle, 1951

The next station down the line from Trunport is Pesningden Castle.

In the early days, we see a simple two track railway with an additional platform at the station, to provide additional capacity.
Pesningden Castle, 16th Nov 1951.png
Pesningden Castle, 16th Nov 1951.png (973.81 KiB) Viewed 4189 times

2. Pesningden Castle, 1986

35 years later, Pesningden Castle has become a junction. The main line towards Trunport has had a 3rd track added, and the new line to the south has been electrified. The station has a 4th platform, with 3 out of 4 lines electrified.

Rolling stock is provided by HSTs and Class 86-hauled InterCity sets.
Pesningden Castle, 22nd May 1986.png
Pesningden Castle, 22nd May 1986.png (1013.71 KiB) Viewed 4189 times

3. Pesningden Castle, 2076

By 2076, large-scale remodelling of the area has taken place. The main line towards Trunport now has 4 tracks, whilst the junction has been grade-separated. Electrification of the original route to the west has taken place, although not along its full length. Hence why a mixture of Class 390 electric Pendolino and hydrogen fuel cell trains are used.

The residents can't have been impressed by the service expansion, as the town's population has decreased!
Pesningden Castle, 15th Jan 2076.png
Pesningden Castle, 15th Jan 2076.png (964.21 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Now for some shots of one of the larger conurbations on the map.

Windstow, 1951

Even in the early days, Windstow is a small city. The original railway is a mixture of a single and double-track, linking Windstow with a neighbouring town. This image shows the single operational station platform and two-track approach; it is clear that additional platforms are under construction for an expansion to the network.
Windstow, 14th Nov 1951.png
Windstow, 14th Nov 1951.png (1022.06 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

Windstow, 1986

The 1980s Windstow: a four-fold population increase; electrification of the original line; development of a suburban network serving satellite towns.
Windstow, 15th Oct 1986.png
Windstow, 15th Oct 1986.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4184 times

Windstow, 2076

More modest city growth; a conventional high-speed line has been built to serve the city from the south-east; two Maglev lines serve the city's two principal stations. The density of the city suburbs and interaction with existing infrastructure has required single-track Maglev approaches to the city centre, although the rest of the Maglev system is two-track and fully grade-separated.
Windstow, 9th Feb 2076.png
Windstow, 9th Feb 2076.png (1011.67 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Malchurch, 1951

Malchurch is a large town, scenically located on a wide isthmus. A single track line links it with the next town.
Malchurch, 2nd Nov 1951.png
Malchurch, 2nd Nov 1951.png (699.59 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Malchurch, 1986

Malchurch has increased in size by 50%, encouraged by the growth of the railway. It is now served by a predominantly two-track intercity line, with trains taking the form of 100mph Deltic-hauled expresses.

Unfortunately, a dispute with the local council has led to planning permission for doubling of the track in the town's suburbs to be refused, hence the single-track bottleneck which remains!
Malchurch, 15th Oct 1986#1.png
Malchurch, 15th Oct 1986#1.png (806.05 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Malchurch, 2076

Nearly a century later, Malchurch has become a substantial city. Not only has full track doubling been completed, but the main line has been electrified and the station substantially expanded.

The line disappearing westwards across the water is the high-speed line towards Windstow, the terminus of which was visible in the last thread. At Malchurch, a grade-separated junction enables the high-speed line to join the classic route. Rolling stock is Class 373 Eurostars on the high-speed line, and Class 390 Pendolinos for services confined to classic route.
Malchurch, 11th Oct 2075.png
Malchurch, 11th Oct 2075.png (770.7 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Return to “Screenshots”