help increasing industry production please

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

gtowen
Engineer
Engineer

help increasing industry production please

Post by gtowen »

i have been making a couple levels and thought they were goin to be awesome but some were transporting too far and by the time they got back to the industry it has near enough lost all of its produce, some you build a station there and produces loads for about 10 seconds then just tails off and then hardly produces anyhting, iron ore mines and coal mines dont produce enough to fill huge long trains that i want and have seen you guys build, info and tips if there are any please

owen
X.G.fr0sty
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: help increasing industry production please

Post by X.G.fr0sty »

You could add a road(two tiles), add a yard to that road(Attached to the station); place truck down... set waypoints...

Station A (Full Load Coal)
Station A (Un-Load Coal)
---------

You could also, add more platforms, and trains.
---------

Or, you could edit the .Dat and set it so the production doesn't go down.

(There are a few industries around that have this in them)
gtowen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gtowen »

how do i alter the .dat file to stop it reducing then
TheSpeedy09
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheSpeedy09 »

Hi,
gtowen wrote:how do i alter the .dat file to stop it reducing then
Read this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... duction%2A

For this you need locotool old.
gtowen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gtowen »

i dont see how i get into the command to change the value to a 0 like he has said to do
gtowen
Engineer
Engineer

can some tell me how to change the .dat

Post by gtowen »

could some one explain to me how i change the files that determine weather industries reduce production, all i know is that i am looking for a line that looks like this (<bit name="candecreaseproduction">1</bit>) and i need to change the value to a zero

cheers
TheSpeedy09
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheSpeedy09 »

Hi,
gtowen wrote:i dont see how i get into the command to change the value to a 0 like he has said to do
Use the search. There you will find this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ocotool%2A
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

gtowen - I've merged your 2 topics together. Just because you don't get an answer in one doesn't mean you create another. Speedy's link may help you too.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

Speedy is also a lot more patient than myself...
kingmush360
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kingmush360 »

A way to increace production in game without any dat editing is to increace demand, instead of 2 trains serving a mine,
try 5 or 6. the mine could start producing 5000 tons per year.
Hi, I'm Steve. I can't change my username so imagine it says Steve Emfore.
Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Krakr »

I probably spend more time baby-sitting and fine-tuning mines than anything else. A few points to consider are:

A. The least attractive situation is when there's only a single (named) mine where you can expect constantly fluctuating output - from ~300 tons up to near 3000. In the first case you'll have too many trains. In the 2nd, not enough. This scenario is the most frustrating to deal with.

Yes, you can edit the dat file to prevent reductions, but that's not really the sporting way to approach the problem, is it?

B. The best situation is when more than one mine is close-by enough that they can all be serviced by a single station, although you might have to use the station stretching technique (described elsewhere) to reach them all. This gives a better chance of getting a steadier 'average' output consistently, and makes it easier to manage your vehicle requirements.

C. In BOTH situations, you should always have at least two different stations. They can be train stations, or they can be truck stations delivering to the main train station, but the keyword here is "different", ie. different names. See pics for examples of how to do this.

With 1 station, you'll see in the object inspector that the mine (or other industry) has produced x amounts of product, but only about 70% is being transported - the rest is wasted. When you add a 2nd station, and service it properly, that figure will quickly go up to 100%.

When dropping off loads from 2nd stations at your main station, you need to issue an order to "unload all [product name]" at the main station. These vehicles won't get paid, so use only the amount necessary to keep product from building up too high at their stations. The payoff is when the mainline trains deliver the load.

In this pic, the mainline station (long trains) covers two mines. The semis drive a loop between the 2nd stations at these two mines and drop their loads at the mainline station. The short train is delivering a load from mine #3.
None of these ancillary vehicles gets paid separately, but the long trains get loaded and deliver much quicker, easily covering their cost.
Mainline station and drop offs
Mainline station and drop offs
Main Station & Dropoffs.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 7130 times
This is mine #3 where two semis make a loop from a 2nd station and drop off at the train station. The trains then drop off at the mainline station.
Mine #3 with 2nd (truck) station.
Mine #3 with 2nd (truck) station.
Mine #3.png (961.81 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
Corral those nutty peeps with a Boundary Fence
Replace wimpy steamer sounds with Steamer Sound Kit

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”