ProgSigs - Programmable Signals patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: ProgSigs - Programmable Signals patch

Post by agentw4b »

agentw4b wrote:
kamnet wrote:
andythenorth wrote:Maybe if there was some simplification first. But currently not a good move. Even if there was a proven patch with an active maintainer. :)
It's included in the JGR Patch Pack (IMO the best way to play OpenTTD today), but I doubt JGR wants any responsibility for maintaining it and making it ready for trunk.

I think, that in JGR Patch pack is other version of the programmable signal. There are not functions as XOR, NOT, OR and AND.

I saw Joker's patch pack and this version of Progsig patch have logic functions AND, XOR, NOT, OR.

Sorry, my english language is not good. I use Google translate...

Patch with logic function AND, XOR, OR, NOT (I think that is same as in Joker's patch pack ...) : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68436 there is other graphic for logic signal.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

agentw4b wrote: Patch with logic function AND, XOR, OR, NOT (I think that is same as in Joker's patch pack ...) : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68436 there is other graphic for logic signal.
Then you are probably posting in wrong topic then :D Logic Signal != ProgSig

ProgSig/Logic/Presignal/etc would probably be useful if you are playing in openttd-coop style with SNRW, Shifting ML, timed joined, etc. But in my play style (semi-realistic cargodist mixed passenger/freight network) I have not encountered anything that could be done with Programmable/Logic Signal that couldn't be done better with path signal+routefinding restriction (esp. with advanced feature like slots).
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

ino wrote:
agentw4b wrote: Patch with logic function AND, XOR, OR, NOT (I think that is same as in Joker's patch pack ...) : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68436 there is other graphic for logic signal.
Then you are probably posting in wrong topic then :D Logic Signal != ProgSig

ProgSig/Logic/Presignal/etc would probably be useful if you are playing in openttd-coop style with SNRW, Shifting ML, timed joined, etc. But in my play style (semi-realistic cargodist mixed passenger/freight network) I have not encountered anything that could be done with Programmable/Logic Signal that couldn't be done better with path signal+routefinding restriction (esp. with advanced feature like slots).
I want to use openttd as a simulator of logic circuits to create an Openttd computer and the NOT function without the use of logic trains would fit a lot :-)
And I would like to have such traffic lights in a normal game so everyone can see it without having to download a special version of the game.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

agentw4b wrote: I want to use openttd as a simulator of logic circuits to create an Openttd computer and the NOT function without the use of logic trains would fit a lot :-)
And I would like to have such traffic lights in a normal game so everyone can see it without having to download a special version of the game.
And you still posted in wrong topic. This topic is for programmable signal, not logic signal that you want.

You want to see it in the normal game, great. But as previously mentioned, it doesn't seem like anyone else want it hard enough to put in effort to submit it into the normal game ("trunk"). It's not a light work at all. You are, of course, free to do it yourself.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I cannot speak for other devs, but my guess is that the best solution is to build your own version with the logic signals patch in it.
OpenTTD is not a logic simulator, there are much better programs for that.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
krzew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krzew »

Welcome! I've been a say Open TDD player for not long. With a fairly extensive rail network, what a great thing it seems, it is possible to control traffic flow and safety. CY is someone still working on the development of train signalling?
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

It is possible to build efficient and safe networks using just the signals that are available in the vanilla version of the game. You should master these signals before you start experimenting with patches.
krzew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krzew »

Well yes, you are absolutely right. I see the continuation is going on though, just in a different place, so I couldn't help myself and, I had to try ;) Forgive my poor English, supported by a translator xD

Return to “OpenTTD Development”