Find the longest great circle segment that avoids the sea

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Find the longest great circle segment that avoids the sea

Post by John »

CommanderZ wrote:
Hitler
Me? This is not exactly the word you want to call people with in today's politically overcorrect society ;)
Quite, although Godwin's Law doesn't require someone to be called Hitler/a Nazi, only that a comparison is made :P

(Admittedly, I only used it to make the point that I thought that the discussion was getting a little silly, and should be stopped)
Tweaking Eddie's solution to avoid the Gulf of Suez (going from Robertsport, Liberia to Hui'an China) Gives an extra 150miles
This one is nice. I guess we won't get any better than this. :thumbs up:
There is a possibility of adding 20-30 miles in China, and so you could squeeze a few more (perhaps 50?) miles out of it, but I for one am not that bored.

Interestingly, I have a solution for the longest theoretical walk in a straight line (which does require a subtle ignoring of the rules). Ignoring inland freshwater lakes that is. And political situations at borders. And assuming all mountains are passable. Oh, and that part of this walk is done in winter. Yep you guessed it, the Bering Strait needs to be frozen ;)

Dawe in Burma to Salina Cruz in Mexico, a total of 10157 miles.

Naturally, it isn't valid as defined by Brian's rules (oh, did I mention I was bored?) :P
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Are you sure the Bering strait freezes completely to be passable in winter? Imo it was passable only during ice ages. Yeah, you can bend the rules a little further to allow it :D
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

CommanderZ wrote:Are you sure the Bering strait freezes completely to be passable in winter? Imo it was passable only during ice ages. Yeah, you can bend the rules a little further to allow it :D
It was passed on foot in 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4872348.stm

Admittedly that is more of a hop on an ice sheet and hope it drifts towards the other side affair - but still possible :)

I think we need a new challenge for this thread Brian...

Return to “Forum Games”