BR Set 0.3 - somewhere between 0%-100% done

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

BR Set 0.3 - somewhere between 0%-100% done

Post by ChrisCF »

It had to be reposted. I could not sit and let it get forgotten (mainly because I'd be stupid enough to forget anyway).

The current reference data is sitting at http://www.xpns.co.uk/tycoon/br-set.html though I still have to add some things to it. I have lost the PM which told me how to convert a figure for tractive effort for steam locos into a guesstimated power rating. A reply here would do just nicely :)

I have some lovely spec sheets that would look lovely as PDFs (only Visio can't spew PDFs yet), though I can't get to an online machine with Zip drive ATM, so I'll post them later.
Last edited by ChrisCF on 25 Oct 2004 22:33, edited 4 times in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Can you add to that list, what sort of an engine it is (electric, diesel, steam)?

Don't forget, this set is just BEGGING for matching carriages, and also redrawn freight-cars to match British practice.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Er, it's always been there, even from the first version of the list.

There's now some lovely piccies online in the http://www.xpns.co.uk/tycoon/ directory. Most of them are TS screenshots that will be used as a basis for creating the livery concepts, though there are a few in there (and will be many more) with a suffix -F that represent the actual livery concepts.

Moving on, I also have a sample of the datasheets that may be used for something at some point. http://www.xpns.co.uk/tycoon/370.png (these will eventually become HTML format docs) - due to not having a copy of the specs to hand (read: no Net connection for a while), that part is missing. There will eventually be a key to this info, but on the livery concepts, the off-black colour represents black, the off-white represents white, and magic pink represents the player colour. Note that those diagrams are concept images only. I'll probably need a little help with the final graphics.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Redesigning cargo wagons, that most come down to shortening the carg wagons to fit the weird british traditon + track profile huh? If so, perhaps mp3pro can help a little, didn't he try to develo shorter wagons for his sub-tropical set?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I think we can just about get away with standard-size freight cars :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You wouldn't want to shorten the freight cars, they tried that for the Tropicset and couldn't make it work. Anyway, the TTD cars are already much shorter than they really would be, leave the length alone. Really I'm referring to the bogie configuration and appearance, they seem to like the canvas-covered cars rather than real solid boxcars, at least they used to. Also they use short-sided gondolas a lot, and the tank cars looked different. Not different functionally I don't suppose, just different in appearance - so nice eye candy.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

As a thought, coal trucks will probably be remodelled to look like the stuff that EWS uses. They have a profile a bit like this, but with steeper sides:

Code: Select all

/----\
 /      \
/________\
I shall have to pay Corus a visit to check, but I think the steel trucks that turn up at Port Talbot look a bit like this:

Code: Select all

_      _
    | |    | |
+-----------------+
|                 |
+_________________+
With two things in which to store rolls of steel vertically.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm still a little confused, I can't see on the list where exactly you state the type, unless it is the abbreviations. Are they Diesel-Electric, Diesel (what's the difference? hydraulic drive?) Electric, etc.? If so, what's RS stand for? I suppose S would be Steam but there aren't any of those yet.
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

As you said, the type of locomotive is indicated by the abbreviation in the 'Type' column, I think.
And RS stands for Rolling Stock, if my best guess is correct.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

S = Steam (I might add further modifiers, though T for tender and T for tank may be confusing :) )
D = Diesel hydraulic or mechanical
DE = Diesel electric
E = Electric
ED = Electro-diesel (dual-power)
MU = Multiple unit
RS = Rolling stock

General classification
70-99 Electric
100-199 DMU
200-299 DEMU
300-399 Overhead AC EMU

I probably won't be modelling any 4xx or 5xx EMUs, since the graphics use catenary, 4xx are third-rail DC, and 5xx are 3rd rail AC
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

the first spec sheets are in HTML version. From the full reference sheet, anything which has a link on the class number (170 and 370 for now, the rest to come) will take you to them.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I've had a good look at some of the sprites that are there already, and I'll probably go a concept repaint of some of those to begin with, e.g. the 43 ("SH 125") into black and white with pc (player colour) stripe. I might also see about repainting the liveries on the 86 and 87 ("SH 30" and "SH 40") to match the same InterCity colours. I could also do with a little help over palette translation - not WIN-DOS, but more like TTD -> Common Sense - looking at the DB set, I'm seeing colours that don't make sense - e.g. the occasional splash of Magic Pink (#FF00FF - which I assume must represent black from the positions I see it). Then there's the clean-up of my sprites to look more natural, and less artificially constant.

Full story at 10 :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Can't wait...
Tijgertjuh
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tijgertjuh »

krtaylor wrote:Can't wait...
Me either
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

If it's anything like as comprehensive as the DB set it will be good.

I'd like to see some more futuristic trains though, maybe a cargo maglev...
Tijgertjuh
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tijgertjuh »

Yes maglev :D

Sorry , i'm a maglev fan , maby its possible to make the maglev from china?
I mean the one from sjanhai to airport ( 30 km in 8 minutes )
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Months ago I tried to start a project to cover the trains of East Asia (China and Japan). That would logically have included both Chinese and Japanese maglevs. But the project didn't really get off the ground that well. Someday we may try again.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

That's the Transrapid 8. The DB set has the Transrapid 9.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Keep up the good work, I have always been a fan of British Trains - can't wait to see the results :))
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I have adjusted the livery on some of the existing locos, and played with some of the graphics to come up with some concepts. So far, many of them only have the aspect you see here. The 45-degree views are a little tricky.
Attachments
These are some of the usual sprites, repainted into slightly better and more realistic liveries, e.g. the EuroStar into White with pc stripe, instead of in pc with yellow stripe.  Admittedly, the 86/87 could do with some touching up ...
These are some of the usual sprites, repainted into slightly better and more realistic liveries, e.g. the EuroStar into White with pc stripe, instead of in pc with yellow stripe. Admittedly, the 86/87 could do with some touching up ...
br-set-1.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 30096 times
Some concepts for some other units, mostly created with cut and paste.  The set is designed to use pc, so the EWS and GNER liveries will be designed to look like the relevant companies' livery when the right player colour is used.  The wagons at the botto
Some concepts for some other units, mostly created with cut and paste. The set is designed to use pc, so the EWS and GNER liveries will be designed to look like the relevant companies' livery when the right player colour is used. The wagons at the botto
br-set-2.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 30098 times

Return to “Graphics Development”