[Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles

Post by aantono »

When trying to clone the repository, getting an error: :(

Code: Select all

git clone git://git.qmsk.net/openttd 
Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/aantonov/openttd-src/openttd/.git/
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SpComb wrote: Currently, I'm not exactly sure what time interval is used for shrinking the towns, but there's some mechanism going awry when the town growth happens too rarely.

Needs more investigation.
It's most likely in the TileLoop for houses, where there is a chance to close down the house. This is run every 256 ticks, so it probably stays constant with daylength.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

aantono wrote:Just to clarify - do a git pop from http://git.qmsk.net/?p=openttd;a=shortl ... -sprinkles and compile? No more need to patch the official trunk?
Should do, yes - that's the right branch. I just need to start pushing updates for every release.
aantono wrote:

Code: Select all

git clone git://git.qmsk.net/openttd 
Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/aantonov/openttd-src/openttd/.git/
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
Fixed, forgot to mark it for export.
Eddi wrote:It's most likely in the TileLoop for houses, where there is a chance to close down the house. This is run every 256 ticks, so it probably stays constant with daylength.
I did have a quick look, but I couldn't spot it there, so I guess it happens via NewHouseTileLoop. Which would explain why the balance gets skewed, and might be hard to fix :(

---

I'll upload a windows build once I update with cargodist again, just busy doing some playtesting...
Attachments
First six years
First six years
openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-q3-1928-smallmap.png (137.6 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

Hey everybody,

I really think this is the best version of all!!! But unfortunately one tiny thing is missing:

In big cities my trains always stay forever in the station (maybe 30 days) because it waits for several passengers that are trickling in continously. So my trains are running late necessarily.

I saw in the trunk it is already implemented...

http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/rev/6ea28b62f3ff

So I hope here will be a new version soon... because I can't play without cargodist / sprinkles ... :bow:
7even
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 7even »

SpComb wrote:
aantono wrote:Just to clarify - do a git pop from http://git.qmsk.net/?p=openttd;a=shortl ... -sprinkles and compile? No more need to patch the official trunk?
Should do, yes - that's the right branch. I just need to start pushing updates for every release.
Hi, can someone help me with that "do a git pop" thing?

I only worked with subversion until now and tried to do the same thing with this url now, just with git command. But this does not work - it tells me stuff like that:
nsk@sesta09:~/OpenTTD/openttd_cargodist-sprinkles$ git checkout http://git.qmsk.net/?p=openttd;a=shortl ... -sprinkles
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Any hints?

Otherwise I will take the patch file, but an already patched checkout would be much more comfortable.. :D

//Edit:
Ah and I forgot - I tried to "git clone" as well and this downloaded something ... but in the end nothing was there (I think only the ".git" directory was created and I don't know what to do with that)
enykie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by enykie »

i've got strange behavor. When i transport passangers out of a city it shrinks ?

build: openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19964M-win32.zip
daylenght faktor: 17

any ideas?

Cheers Michi
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, high daylength factors have been reported to shrink cities. i don't know if any of the currently available patches have adressed this issue.

i wrote a few posts above that the cause likely in the tile loop for houses, where a chance for house closure is not adapted to daylength.
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

Playing Chill's patch-pack r21051_v10.7 towns are stilling shrinking with a daylenght of 40.

In 5 years city shrink from over 5,500 to under 300
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Eddi wrote:yes, high daylength factors have been reported to shrink cities. i don't know if any of the currently available patches have adressed this issue
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
enykie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by enykie »

hmm ok thanks for this info! :) perhaps this is the cause why pavels daylength patch only goes up to faktor 10 ?
Whats the highets which should be used?

edit: even with daylength: 4 my citties begin to shrink!
Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Cadde »

enykie wrote:hmm ok thanks for this info! :) perhaps this is the cause why pavels daylength patch only goes up to faktor 10 ?
Whats the highets which should be used?

edit: even with daylength: 4 my citties begin to shrink!
Came here looking for some way of keeping income levels... well, level. But saw this and i can't say i noticed that. With daylength at 10 i could grow a city from 400 population to 20,000 in 2 years. After that it gets a little bit more complicated because there seems to be a slowdown effect after that.

What i do is build a 3x3 perfect grid and buff the city with a few bus stops. Started with 3 stops, now have 6 stops and a subway in the center. Problem now is running cargodist and cargo generation factor -1 is that the cities produce so much passengers i have 26 Mat'36 (16 length) passenger trains packed on a 400 length piece of track (Each train taking 832 passengers) and still cannot satisfy the city links.
Cargodist has gone mad and want to send 10,000 passengers per month PER CITY. Both internally and externally!

So anyways, to my original purpose of posting. Is it hard to make the daylength patch also reduce the cargo payment rates?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you know, in a city with 20,000 inhabitants, 20,000 people want to go to work and back EVERY DAY.

which values should be affected by daylength and which not is an ongoing problem, and the main reason why no daylength patch has ever reached trunk quality.
Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Cadde »

Eddi wrote:you know, in a city with 20,000 inhabitants, 20,000 people want to go to work and back EVERY DAY.

which values should be affected by daylength and which not is an ongoing problem, and the main reason why no daylength patch has ever reached trunk quality.
I've just found that "another daylength" patch that claims to deal with economy balance.

And about the 20,000 inhabitants... Not all of them want to get to work at the very same train :D
Where i live, 190,000 people (actual part of population working, not counting kids going to school) take trams that can hold 80 passengers each that in the central hub come and go every minute IRL.
In my game it expects me to take thousands of passengers every IRL minute. We have already established time and time again that reality != OTTD. Hence why a city block (one unit) in standard settings can be said to be 628x628 km²!
When graphically it represents something along the lines of 20x20 meters. So at Daylength set to 1 you wouldn't even be able to see the trains zip across the screen if the game was actually to scale. And the problem is that everything has to scale with the game in one way or another. Hence why daylength is needed and with that also comes balancing changes to economy since it's based on ticks, not days.
And so does the amount of passengers produced out of towns, but we already have a solution for that with the town production setting.

I like building super sized cities but i wanna have enough time and space to handle the amount of passengers. There's no point in making a 64 tile long station in one city and then have the train travel the 273 tiles to the other 64 tile station. That's not what's fun in OTTD...
pecX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pecX »

hi!

i did never patch or compile anything and now i´ve downloaded "openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19964M-win32.zip".
After unpacking i click the opentt.exe but i get the message "failed to select requested sounds set OPENSFX".

Can you help me solving this problem?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Download OpenSFX and put it in your data folder?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Most likely you have opensfx in C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/data/opensfx.tar
Move that file to My Documents/OpenTTD/data/ and it should work for all new versions.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Hello SpComb,

one of your patches, Town Cargo Factor, convinced me to try compiling my own version of OpenTTD yesterday. So far I got a running binary of the Cargodist source up and running, but neither patch appears to integrate. Hopefully it doesn't sound too newbish, but I really don't have previous experience in this field.

Config:
MinGW 2011-03-16
Cargodist gd90184e3 (ok)
signaltunnel_V2.02_r20363.patch (ok)
town-cargo-factor-01-cargodist resp. -noslv.patch (fail)

Error messages:

Kind Regards,
The Axe
My scenarios for JGRpp: Motor City (1910), Fortune Bay (1993)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Check the errors you are getting, specially the one about the wrong -p option. Git/hg patches require -p1, and svn patches require -p0.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Yes, but with the -p0 option MinGW prompts me to specify the files manually and the modifications to settings_type.h and town_cmd.cpp still fail. Table/settings.h isn't in the Cargodist source archive (but 1.1.0), only settings.h.preamble and -postamble plus a number of individual xx_settings.ini files.

Edit: Never mind, I've found a solution.

Kind Regards,
The Axe
Last edited by Dr. B. Ching on 20 May 2011 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
My scenarios for JGRpp: Motor City (1910), Fortune Bay (1993)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

settings.h is now an autogenerated file, you need to adapt the patch for that, i.e. move the changes to the .ini fille format

Return to “OpenTTD Development”