[Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles

Post by ostlandr »

Thanks for the binary SpComb! :D

Has anybody else noticed this behavior:

When setting up a new cargo route with a transfer, a vehicle will pick up a load of "to any station" cargo. But since it never arrives at a station that accepts the cargo, it drives around full until you order it to unload at the transfer station. Once the LinkGraph kicks in and the cargo has a destination, you can cancel the forced unload. Just a minor annoyance, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here.
Who is John Galt?
bluebottle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bluebottle »

Obsolete (already!): check here

This is a build of r19596 for Ubuntu 9.10 Linux (Karmic Koala), using SpComb's patch above. Check that post for information on the patches included as well as any caveats.
  • As with the distro OpenTTD package, you need to have the data files in /usr/share/games/openttd/data/.
  • This build is unstripped to provide better (i.e. useful) core dumps/backtraces.
  • Any warnings about downgrading to version 1.1_svn_0 can be safely ignored.
Download: openttd_cargodist_sprinkles-r19596M-no_debug-unstripped-i386.deb
Crash reports / feedback:
Please report any and all crashes from this build in this thread, unless you can also reproduce them in a nightly or cargodist/autosep build.

It's a good idea to also post the crash.* files that OpenTTD produces, along with any relevant information relating to the crash (such as a recent savegame and a description of the circumstances of the crash).

Additionally, comments or suggestions as to the behavior of the auto-separation patch should go into the Automated timetables and separation topic.
Last edited by bluebottle on 13 Apr 2010 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

apparently wont the new version load savegames from the old version... so the server will have a new game :) Will be online soon :)

edit:
Online :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Fenris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fenris »

Hello

At first, thanks for your work and please excuse my bad english. Hope I can explain my problem anyway.

I play this patch with FIRS (v1.2 at the moment) and since the binary from version 19527 I have a problem with the engineering parts cargo. The new binary shows the same behavior.

As soon as I try to load a savegame with an established route with the engineering parts cargotyp the game crashes, but only if I load from the main menu. As long as I load it from a running game, the crash doesn't happen. I’ve tested this a few times with different saves, but I’m not really sure, it will never happen. Also routes with ore, coal or steel don't make problems.
I tried the same with the official version 1.0 and also with chills patchpak. Both work fine. I even can load a save with an established cargoroute from chills patchpak (v19525) with the sprinkles patch version without any problem.

The crash.log shows the message: NOT_REACHED triggered at line 148 of ..\src\linkgraph\demands.cpp but when the crash occurs windows shows message gamepath\data\opengfx1_base.rgf.
Attachments
crash.zip
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Ouch, this suggests that I fail to properly clear the link graphs when loading a game. Can I get the savegame you're trying to load? Was this a game created with a version of cargodist(+sprinkles) or a game from trunk?

Edit 1: I just found out that the save/load code is still broken in the first case ... a fix will soon be available.

Edit 2: Fixed this one. At the moment when the link graph jobs were started after loading a savegame the cargo classes from the previous game were used. This could lead to link graphs operating on manually distributed cargo which is forbidden. Now they are started after loading the cargo classes. In principle you can still create a savegame with a link graph job operating on cargo with manual distribution (thus desyncs and crashes). But that requires fiddling with the cargo newgrfs while the game is running. I think I don't have to support that.
The guy on the picture is not me, it's Alonso.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

⬆ See Above ⬆

Git repo: http://git.qmsk.net/?p=openttd

Download: openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19601M-win32.zip (.pdb.gz, .patch, .svn.patch, .log).

The win32 .zip and git .patch are also attached.

Savegame compatibility:
This build should be able to load games saved by all previous official OpenTTD versions, as well as the matching vanilla cargodist build.

With a bit of luck, this build might be able to load games from the previous build. This quirk will be rectified in future builds :)

Please report any and all crashes from this build in this thread, unless you can also reproduce them in a nightly or cargodist/autosep build.

It's a good idea to also post the crash.* files that OpenTTD produces, along with any relevant information relating to the crash (such as a recent savegame and a description of the circumstances of the crash).

Additionally, comments or suggestions as to the behavior of the auto-separation patch should go into the Automated timetables and separation topic.
Attachments
openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19601.patch
(340.67 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19601M-win32.zip
(3.97 MiB) Downloaded 469 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

ill test in a few mins, just need to finish watching a footballmatch

edit:
server up and running, r19601M, loaded the last game :)
Last edited by DJ Nekkid on 11 Apr 2010 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the
ImageImage
Fenris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fenris »

It seems my english was good enough to tell what i want. :)

For me it works now. Thanks for the quick fix and keep up the good work. :bow:
bluebottle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bluebottle »

Obsolete, check here.

This is a build of r19601 for Ubuntu 9.10 Linux (Karmic Koala), using SpComb's patch above. Check that post for information on the patches included as well as any caveats.
  • As with the distro OpenTTD package, you need to have the data files in /usr/share/games/openttd/data/.
  • This build is unstripped to provide better (i.e. useful) core dumps/backtraces.
  • Any warnings about downgrading to version 1.1_svn_0 can be safely ignored.
Download: openttd_cargodist_sprinkles-r19601M-no_debug-unstripped-i386.deb

Last edited by bluebottle on 30 Apr 2010 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
charlymorton
Engineer
Engineer

Post by charlymorton »

I'm unable to load this savegame which was saved on [Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles r19527M

Edit: Just to specify. I'm unable to load it with the patch r19601M. Get an invalid chunk size error.
Attachments
E. Muir Transport, 10th Dec 1831.sav
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 201 times
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

charlymorton wrote:I'm unable to load this savegame which was saved on [Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles r19527M

Edit: Just to specify. I'm unable to load it with the patch r19601M. Get an invalid chunk size error.
Read carefully:
SpComb wrote:Savegame compatibility:
This build should be able to load games saved by all previous official OpenTTD versions, as well as the matching vanilla cargodist build.

With a bit of luck, this build might be able to load games from the previous build (singular).
In other words, known behaviour. You'd have to convince fonso to start maintaing some kind of backwards-compatibility for saveload across cargodist updates, but it might not be quite there yet.

Until then, the occasional update might not break the saveload format, but there are exactly zero guarantees across the builds here. It sucks, I know, but it's more difficult to achieve than one might think.
charlymorton
Engineer
Engineer

Post by charlymorton »

Thanks.
Yes, maybe I should read more carefully. :)
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

ostlandr wrote:Thanks for the binary SpComb! :D

Has anybody else noticed this behavior:

When setting up a new cargo route with a transfer, a vehicle will pick up a load of "to any station" cargo. But since it never arrives at a station that accepts the cargo, it drives around full until you order it to unload at the transfer station. Once the LinkGraph kicks in and the cargo has a destination, you can cancel the forced unload. Just a minor annoyance, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here.
Yep, I'm getting the same behavior. It is the most notoriously visible if setting up a feeder to the airport that is outside of the city limits and on its own does not accept and supplies cargo (pax and mail). It is especially most difficult early on in the game (as in 1920-30) when the speed of the airplanes is very low, and it takes a very long time for the LinkGraph to kick in and keep the route stable.

Any suggestions on the best course of action on how to deal with this situation most effectively?
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

aantono wrote:Any suggestions on the best course of action on how to deal with this situation most effectively?
1. Watch the links in the smallmap and check if they're breaking down. If they are, use more vehicles. After all, you're also losing passengers if you keep them waiting very long between the vehicles' arrivals.

2. Decrease linkgraph recalculation interval to have the link graph calculation run more often. Probably the default 16 days are OK, but especially in the early game you might have lots of small isolated components in which case they aren't.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Is it possible to include also this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 20&start=0 ?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Kogut wrote:Is it possible to include also this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 20&start=0 ?
It'll find its way into trunk sooner than later, and it doesn't need any special long-term intensive testing.

I'm rather tending towards minimizing patch flux for a small number of significant patches.
ReisRyos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ReisRyos »

It is possible new build, please? :)
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

ReisRyos wrote:It is possible new build, please? :)
It would help to say what it is that needs updating, but I guess there's been all kinds of useful fixes in trunk over the past two weeks that are worth including, as well as the symmetric demands tweaks.

I'll update today or tomorrow, particularly if fonso synchs..
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

SpComb wrote:I'll update today or tomorrow, particularly if fonso synchs..
There you go. Fresh version with all the documentation I've written over the weekend and merged with trunk.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Bump along trunk, some minor cargodist tweaks, and a bunch of useful stuff from trunk, leading up towards 1.0.1.

Download: openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19733M-win32.zip (.pdb.gz, .patch, .svn.patch, .log).

The git .patch is also attached, but the win32 .zip doesn't fit in the 4MiB attachment size limit anymore. Download from the above link.

Savegame compatibility:

With a bit of luck, this build might be able to load games from the previous build. This quirk will hopefully be rectified in future builds.

Attachments
openttd-cargodist-sprinkles-r19733.patch
(351.48 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”