Bug? in the DB Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sokko
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Bug? in the DB Set

Post by Sokko »

I noticed that, while the steam train tender uses the correct sprite override for specific engines, the overrides for the passenger and mail carriages are based on date, not engine used. Is this intentional? I think it should be like the tender, based on engine rather than date.
How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it depends .... for some trains mail and passenger waggons are always changed .... but yes ... orginal (in the list) waggons are changing depends on year .... however try some engines then you will see some of them have their own graphic for waggons
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Petae
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Petae »

Only passenger tains have passenger/mail override, freight trains don't have override
Everything is relative
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

there are some exceptions (some engine have own valuables waggon)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

the TEE engines tend to have 2 sets of carraiges, one earley, one late, although I don't know when the changing date is, but I'd bet anything Rai does...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Sokko
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Sokko »

Well if the passenger/mail carriage override only works on certain trains, it would be nice to point them out somehow in the name, maybe like (passenger) or (freight), or if that's too long then just a P or an F.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

MB has a huge matrix of how they work at his site, which is WAY too complicated for me to figure out except to say he must have spent an enormous amount of time researching the liveries, to say nothing of drawing them all.

...and also, that Josef's hoped-for patch extension to allow 15,000 or so sprites may be too conservative...
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sokko
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Sokko »

Hmm, we seem to have deviated a bit from my question up there at the first post. :wink:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Well, I can shed *some* light on things. The coaches are introduced by date, as that is the time they were used on the DB railways. Ie in 1974, the cream/blue coaches come in for use on all new trains. This is because in 1974, the DB sat down and wanted a cohesive colour scheme. Thats why new coaches change colours. In 1987, they decided to do it again, and they changed it to a white/colour scheme, where the coloured band on the window determined what type of traffic the coach would take (Local, Inter-Regional, or Inter-City).

Some engines (like the BR103) have their own train sets, because that is exactly what they hauled all the time. The BR103 example was *always* a TEE train (due to it's high speed and HP), and so whenever built will always have TEE coaches. The same goes for the VT-11.

However it may be set to change, as I have expressed concerns regarding the current coach scheme when trains are used for both IC and IR trains - currently they can only have IR coaches. Perhaps some day in the future, a THIRD coach will be added in the 70's/80's to allow for High Speed trains. This will be very benififical if the proposed wagon speed limits come in too.

For more info, read the DB set manual after the loco tables, check out Michaels site, or have a look at my realism guide (under construction) on my site (link in sig).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

@Raichase

The DB chanced the interoirs of all Waggfons to fit into modern times. Maybee they repaint the Trains and Waggons again. They spent a lot of Money to renew the Waggons inside.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I agree with you, and this is represented by buying the new train carrage with the new livery to replace the old one (the cost of the new coach is really spent on repainting and refitting the old one AFAIK).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club

Return to “Graphics Development”