More challenge?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Elenhil
Engineer
Engineer

More challenge?

Post by Elenhil »

How can I make the game more challenging? Becase I've tried playing it at Hard and it's still pathetically easy to play - all you need is to survive until the first 200-passenger plane appears, which gives you instant easy money. From then on passenger flights give ridiculous amounts of money.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: More challenge?

Post by Yexo »

You give a possible answer yourself already: disable planes.

How hard the game is really depends on the goal you set yourself. Making money is indeed very easy. To make it a bit harder you can use several NewGRF sets. You can also set another goal for yourself, like connecting all industries on a map. If you want to make that challenging try to connect all farms/steel mills to a single factory. You can also try to play with a highperforming AI and see if you can beat those. NoCab is worth a try in that case.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Disable planes, boats and RVs, and set the weight multiplier thingy to 50, or maybe even 100. Now try to make money! :mrgreen:
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 1009 »

Disable everything but boats and turn off all industries. Good luck.
I don't know, I never am too bothered with the game being too easy, I like building train networks even when I have 50bil.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Bennythen00b wrote:set the weight multiplier thingy to 50, or maybe even 100.
Are you insane? :shock:
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Elenhil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elenhil »

Yexo wrote:You give a possible answer yourself already: disable planes.
Well, that would have been an obvious choice had I not had an internal dislike for such artificial handicaps. I would like the game to be challenging as it is, with all kinds of transport. So the answer is more like your other suggestion:
How hard the game is really depends on the goal you set yourself. Making money is indeed very easy. To make it a bit harder you can use several NewGRF sets.
Can you recommend some?
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Bennythen00b wrote:Disable planes, boats and RVs, and set the weight multiplier thingy to 50, or maybe even 100. Now try to make money! :mrgreen:

Well it is still easy :) The weight multiplier is not valid for passengers and you can still make money. Otherwise you will have 2 engines 4 wagon trains and still make an income.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

XeryusTC wrote:
Bennythen00b wrote:set the weight multiplier thingy to 50, or maybe even 100.
Are you insane? :shock:
It does get harder, which is the point here. :lol:
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Wold wrote:
Bennythen00b wrote:Disable planes, boats and RVs, and set the weight multiplier thingy to 50, or maybe even 100. Now try to make money! :mrgreen:

Well it is still easy :) The weight multiplier is not valid for passengers and you can still make money. Otherwise you will have 2 engines 4 wagon trains and still make an income.
The weight multiplier applies for all trains.
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Bennythen00b wrote:The weight multiplier applies for all trains.
http://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_Settin ... avy_trains

It's just the cargo that is multiplied :) and passengers are not considered cargo
Sabret00th
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sabret00th »

If you want to keep planes, try doing it with 10 plane-building AI's. Guess it won't be easy then ;).
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Wold wrote:
Bennythen00b wrote:The weight multiplier applies for all trains.
http://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_Settin ... avy_trains

It's just the cargo that is multiplied :) and passengers are not considered cargo
Hmm.. Let's say on a map with one town on it then. :p
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

Apply realistic restrictions - no grand terraforming, no bribing authorities (although this is pretty punishing as it is), require x straight tiles before and after an incline (I use 2), no mass tree planting.

Another fun one I've found is only allowing trains to be built at a single depot - it gives you a very organic network. Either base the depot around a steel mill for looks or around a map edge port for the idea of importing trains from abroad.

As has been said before, OTTD is as easy or hard as you make it. Refusing to use "artificial handicaps" is your choice but that's also saying you'll force yourself to make the game easier which defeats the point. OTTD is a sandbox, so using everything available to you will make the game really easy, the idea is you limit yourself to up the difficulty.
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

2cc trainset is harder than default. The engines are quite pricey.
Set your intial loan very low.
Run on arctic maps set to mountainous/rough.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

DBsetXL
High construction cost
High running costs
20x weight multiplier
Very low towns and industries
£100,000 initial loan
4% initial interest
Normal vehicle breakdowns
512x512 random map, mountainous, rough, high sea level, fluctuating economy.
Hostile city council

Then impose some restrictions on yourself
1) Minimum of 4 tiles between inclines
2) Minimum of 1.5xtrainlength-in-tiles between curves
3) No deleting of town buildings/roads (if you can't build it near the city center, build a feeder)
4) Realistic (+flat) junctions only

If you want to be really sadistic
a) No use of feeder services (ie no using "transfer" orders)
b) Maximum train length of 3 tiles for passengers
c) Minimum train length of 10 tiles for freight

I'm pretty sure that's a challenge.
Jon
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

*blink*
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

audigex wrote:DBsetXL
So I am becoming a ship tycoon with a massive ship network making more money than I could possibly make by any other form of transport using exclusively hovercrafts and buses to boost the coastline cities :)
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Admittedly my settings are based mostly around trains :-P

At the same time, if the OP insists on using planes as the main mode of transport and refuses to ignore them, they're making the game easy and shouldn't whinge IMO.
Jon
arpa_ks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by arpa_ks »

You may also try to build efficient networks. Running many trains on the same line makes it very difficult to avoid jams. I spend hours trying to build small and efficient junctions.
Swansea Stu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Swansea Stu »

Elenhil wrote:How can I make the game more challenging? Becase I've tried playing it at Hard and it's still pathetically easy to play - all you need is to survive until the first 200-passenger plane appears, which gives you instant easy money. From then on passenger flights give ridiculous amounts of money.
Spamming the map with airports in order to make money doesn't make the game pathetically easy. Making money is not the be all and end all. In fact some would say that as long as you have enough to build your next route then that's enough. The original goal of the game was to get the highest score by the year 2050. Try achieving this only with planes and airports and see how well you do.

Return to “General OpenTTD”